why aren't the florida gays protesting?

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i did, but maybe i didn't fully understand it. you were kinda unclear, because, honestly, you made it sound like "oh well, it's a democracy"

Sorry, that wasn't my intent. I meant to point out that majority rule is merely the starting basis of our government, but the guys who started it were well aware of its shortcomings and potentials for misuse, and they built in protections for the minority voices against them.

Majority rule in and of itself, particularly popular rule, is not necessarily a good thing...especially given the percentage of blithering idiots in our midst. :biggrin1:

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sorry, that wasn't my intent. I meant to point out that majority rule is merely the starting basis of our government, but the guys who started it were well aware of its shortcomings and potentials for misuse, and they built in protections for the minority voices against them.

Majority rule in and of itself, particularly popular rule, is not necessarily a good thing...especially given the percentage of blithering idiots in our midst. :biggrin1:

first, sorry for the double post!

secondly, mahalo for the clarification. i also wrote that post to practice what i learned in philosophy class. we're taking our "midterm" next monday.

we're like, a month or so late on our midterm haha

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Read the tenth amendment to the Constitution. It still gives the states great rights. Nothing in the Constitution gives the federal government the power to regulate marriage. That is where the trouble lies. The federal courts do not have jurisdiction. The civil rights act does not mention marriage anywhere. That power has been given to the states. If no conservative on the high court retires during Obama's tenure, you may not see any change in the marriage status across the nation.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
they're all have bathroom sex in ft lauderdale.

or at the bath houses *shudder*

but all joking aside, someone needs to lead some kind of protest or march, or something! south florida has two of the largest gay communities in the u.s.

we have south beach, and we have wilton manors. south florida has a lot of gay peoples. how can they just not care?

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
this is fuckin atrocious that the government thinks they can take away he rights of people! their justification is that it is "the will of the people"

well, slavery was "the will of the people"

the unfair treatment of asian immigrants was "the will of the people"

the overthrow of lili'uokalani was "the will of the people"

separating "white" and "colored" was "the will of the people"

and yet, all of those were unconstitutional and violated basic human rights. how were those bills allowed to even be brought to the forefront?

guess they are protecting religious rights.

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
this is fuckin atrocious that the government thinks they can take away he rights of people! their justification is that it is "the will of the people"

well, slavery was "the will of the people"

the unfair treatment of asian immigrants was "the will of the people"

the overthrow of lili'uokalani was "the will of the people"

separating "white" and "colored" was "the will of the people"

and yet, all of those were unconstitutional and violated basic human rights. how were those bills allowed to even be brought to the forefront?

Great thread.

The answer is that questions of justice must be answered by reason and logic, not a mob.

You can whip up a mob to believe any fool thing you want them to believe, if they are emotional and uneducated.

But we have courts and laws for a reason. Justice and popularity are not the same thing. We do elect officials by popular vote, but the country is ruled by laws, since we have decided (in the constitution) that all citizens are equal in the US. Deciding that equal treatment under the law has or has not occured requires intelligence and reason. The answer has to be based on logic, not emotions.

This is why the US eventually must require states to recognize all marriages, even when the partners are of the same gender. It's not a matter of religion at all. It's a matter of equal and fair treatment under the law.

You can't have one form of marriage for blacks, one form for whites, another form for gays, and a separate and truly convenient form for the rich.

Marriage occurs when two people say 'I do' and mean it.

Right wing politicians and religious hysterics can bemoan and bewail this all they like. At the end of the day, the question is only this: Did these two people say "I do"? Did they mean it? If so, the state recognizes their contract, and requires everyone else to do the same.

end of story. justice is served.

Last edited:

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
except that florida doesn't recognize same-sex marriages, no matter where they get married. if a gay couple living in florida gets married in CT, for example, the state of florida won't recognize it, and they won't get the benefits, such as being able for stay with your spouse in a hospital.