Why Barak Obama will not be the first Black President

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
The first black president will be more conservative than conservatives are. Ditto for the first woman president. He or she will need to be uber-conservative - hardline on crime, foreign policy, etc - to defuse the racists and sexists who will otherwise argue that a female/black candidate is too soft/weak/liberal/biased to be president. Moreover, if the candidate is a conservative, the racists/sexists will be left with no other voting option, because they aren't likely to vote for a "liberal" Democrat.

Consequently, the first black president will not be a Democrat. He or she will be a Republican. President Rice, anyone?

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The majority of African Americans are EXTEMELY socially conservative.

The Black Bible Belt (i.e., tenets of religiosu beliefs) is more restrictive than the regular one.

Believe it.

CPearl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Fine, if I'm wrong and Barak Obama's next address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I'll suck your cock. :tongue:

Now THAT'S the best compaign promise I've heard so far!

I had hoped that Hillary would have stepped aside in favor of Obama. Her detractors have been planning for years how to campaign against her. They're gonna pull all the stops out for this one, and it's gonna get ugly...

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
First, I would be pleased to have any of the top three Democrats as President. All three would do a good job. I am not anti-any of the three - Hillary, Obama or Edwards.

POINT ONE Gore distancing himself from Bill

A point was made earlier about Gore distancing himself from Bill. Arkansas, home of Bill Clinton, was one of the last states called in the year 2000. Had Bill campaigned aggressively in Arkansas in 2000 which he didn't, Gore would have carried Arkansas and Gore would have had the electoral college majority.

POINT TWO Bill will help Hillary more than the other two

There is a nostalgic feeling for Clinton that is growing. Electing his wife is the next best thing to Bill. That is why I think she will be the strongest candidate against whoever the Republicans nominate.

POINT THREE Obama does have negatives

The point of this thread was that Obama will never be president. It gave reasons. I don't think the reasons given will be his main problem. His middle name Hussein will be used in EVERY Republican add mentioning his name. His father being a Muslim will also be made very visible. Obama has all the right things going for him personally though - Good looks, articulate, personable. This might be enough to overcome the negatives the Republicans throw at him.

Hillary has negatives too, but Our boy Bill is growing in popularity. Anti-Bill ads will only help Hillary. Hillary's negatives have been talked about for years. Unless the Republicans can dig up some new negatives, the old ones will not attract the attention of the voters.

CONCLUSION

If Hillary doesn't make the same mistake as Gore and try to distance herself from her own husband, she can win. It remains to be seen if Hillary is willing to win on the coat tails of her husband.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
At last the Dems have a viable candidate! Governor Bill Richardson, New Mexico, announced today, May 21, that he is a candidate for President. :biggrin1: Oh yeah, the bible belt is gonna vote for a Hispanic President over a white woman or a black guy with a name that sounds like a terrorist. Hmmm, on second thought if all 3 are still in the race a year from now he could split the vote and we could end up with a Pres. Guiliani. Something which I consider a fate worse than death.
First, I would be pleased to have any of the top three Democrats as President. All three would do a good job. I am not anti-any of the three - Hillary, Obama or Edwards. I am not against the politics of any of them.
POINT ONE Gore distancing himself from Bill

A point was made earlier about Gore distancing himself from Bill. Arkansas, home of Bill Clinton, was one of the last states called in the year 2000. Had Bill campaigned aggressively in Arkansas in 2000 which he didn't, Gore would have carried Arkansas and Gore would have had the electoral college majority.

POINT TWO Bill will help Hillary more than the other two

There is a nostalgic feeling for Clinton that is growing. Electing his wife is the next best thing to Bill. That is why I think she will be the strongest candidate against whoever the Republicans nominate. That's true. Clinton was our last peace time President.

POINT THREE Obama does have negatives

The point of this thread was that Obama will never be president. It gave reasons. I don't think the reasons given will be his main problem. His middle name Hussein will be used in EVERY Republican add mentioning his name. True! I left that out hoping it would be the least relevant issue. His father being a Muslim will also be made very visible. Obama has all the right things going for him personally though - Good looks, articulate, personable. This might be enough to overcome the negatives the Republicans throw at him. One can only hope, but he is young yet, and I agree another term as US Senator and he would be a prime Presidential perfect.

Hillary has negatives too, but Our boy Bill is growing in popularity. Anti-Bill ads will only help Hillary. Hillary's negatives have been talked about for years. Unless the Republicans can dig up some new negatives, the old ones will not attract the attention of the voters. True

CONCLUSION

If Hillary doesn't make the same mistake as Gore and try to distance herself from her own husband, she can win. It remains to be seen if Hillary is willing to win on the coat tails of her husband. I don't think she has a choice. It would be fool hardy of her to distance herself from the most popular President since John F. Kennedy.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Now, a Black President or a Female President is something we can see... But who here can see an openly atheist president of the United States in current times?
Religion is too big of an issue in this country for that ever to happen, I'm afraid to say. Racism and Sexism is at least something that is being dealt with.
When people realize that mega-rich ambulance chasers like Edwards are part of the reason why health care in America is so expensive, his support will be reduced to fringe loonies. Similarly, as the campaign progresses and Obama fails to enunciate anything but simple-minded platitudes, he'll be relegated to the sidelines.
I agree with what you say about Edwards. I like the man, but he's more of a "face" than Obama is.

Obama actually has issues that he pushes. I see him more than just a "well refined" man.

----------------------

In other news, I see a common trend in this thread that I'd like to address.

I'm an avid supporter of Obama and Clinton...but let me point out somethings.
  1. Am I the only one who feels that too many people are believing that just because Hillary is Bill's wife that her run in the presidency will be the same?
  2. Why is the Muslim thing such a big issue if Obama himself is not Muslim? It seems to make anyone who points it out ignorant to me.
  3. Is the Republican strategy to make the Democrats fight over Presidential Candidates?
Just a few things I'd like to address or rather see other people address.

Just because Hillary is Bill's wife does NOT mean that her time in office will be the same. More than likely, it will be very different. Bill, since his presidency, seems to jump on any issue people need to see a "face" on and they pay him enough to show. I don't think that follows as credible anymore. Big fan of his term though.

Obama is not a Muslim. His middle name is Hussein. So should everyone treat someone with the first name of George and/or the last name of Bush as an impudent fool? Why don't people judge based off of personal character instead of harsh and ignorant comparisons?

Republicans do not have a strong candidate. If Democrats can't come together on one accord they will lose the next election. The only ticket that would work is Obama and Clinton. Either one would work for me.

I see the debate of Obama vs. Clinton turning into "We will support the Republican candidate if my favorite is not elected!" Not a good idea. I don't mind a Clinton/Obama ticket...why does everyone else have such an aversion to Obama/Clinton? I see people say Edwards/Obama...Edwards/Clinton...Clinton/Edwards...and Obama/Edwards.

----------------------

Personally, if I HAD to choose the most viable relationship it'd be Clinton/Obama (even though I want Obama to win the candidancy). Only because Clinton (notwithstanding Bill) has the most experience in the politcal arena. Obama has the least. Obama as Vice President would be perfect, because he'd be doing everything he's great at...being a face, while building his political repetoire. Clinton can handle the issues in the office and HOPEFULLY not flip-flop like she did all over the Iraq War :frown1:.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
People who think because he has the name Hussein that he's Muslim are small minded.

Now tell me how many people out there are small-minded.

:02: :grumble:

"Think of how stupid the average person is -- and then realize that half the people are stupider than that"
- George Carlin

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Religion is too big of an issue in this country for that ever to happen, I'm afraid to say. Racism and Sexism is at least something that is being dealt with. True, one battle at a time.
I agree with what you say about Edwards. I like the man, but he's more of a "face" than Obama is.

Obama actually has issues that he pushes. I see him more than just a "well refined" man.

----------------------

In other news, I see a common trend in this thread that I'd like to address.

I'm an avid supporter of Obama and Clinton...but let me point out somethings.
  1. Am I the only one who feels that too many people are believing that just because Hillary is Bill's wife that her run in the presidency will be the same? I'm not sure that's what her supporters believe.
  2. Why is the Muslim thing such a big issue if Obama himself is not Muslim? Guilt by association.
  3. Is the Republican strategy to make the Democrats fight over Presidential Candidates? It's worked before. Remember Ross Perot and Ralph Nader they split the vote.
Just a few things I'd like to address or rather see other people address.

Just because Hillary is Bill's wife does NOT mean that her time in office will be the same. More than likely, it will be very different. Bill, since his presidency, seems to jump on any issue people need to see a "face" on and they pay him enough to show. I don't think that follows as credible anymore. Big fan of his term though.

Obama is not a Muslim. His middle name is Hussein. So should everyone treat someone with the first name of George and/or the last name of Bush as an impudent fool? Why don't people judge based off of personal character instead of harsh and ignorant comparisons?

Republicans do not have a strong candidate. If Democrats can't come together on one accord they will lose the next election. The only ticket that would work is Obama and Clinton. Either one would work for me.

I see the debate of Obama vs. Clinton turning into "We will support the Republican candidate if my favorite is not elected!" Not a good idea. I don't mind a Clinton/Obama ticket...why does everyone else have such an aversion to Obama/Clinton? I see people say Edwards/Obama...Edwards/Clinton...Clinton/Edwards...and Obama/Edwards.

----------------------

Personally, if I HAD to choose the most viable relationship it'd be Clinton/Obama (even though I want Obama to win the candidancy). Only because Clinton (notwithstanding Bill) has the most experience in the politcal arena. Obama has the least. Obama as Vice President would be perfect, because he'd be doing everything he's great at...being a face, while building his political repetoire. Clinton can handle the issues in the office and HOPEFULLY not flip-flop like she did all over the Iraq War :frown1:

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[*]Is the Republican strategy to make the Democrats fight over Presidential Candidates? It's worked before. Remember Ross Perot and Ralph Nader they split the vote.

Well, Perot & Nader split the vote by going all the way through to the main election, and people who voted for them "in protest" or for the sake of change basically threw away their votes. I don't think that any Clinton supporters will decide to vote Republican if Obama wins the nomination instead (or vice versa).

Why don't people judge based off of personal character instead of harsh and ignorant comparisons?

Because people are harsh and ignorant.

I see the debate of Obama vs. Clinton turning into "We will support the Republican candidate if my favorite is not elected!" Not a good idea.

I don't think that people will turn like that.

I don't mind a Clinton/Obama ticket...why does everyone else have such an aversion to Obama/Clinton? I see people say Edwards/Obama...Edwards/Clinton...Clinton/Edwards...and Obama/Edwards.

It's because they're both definitely front-runners. It's been ages since we've ever had a double-whammy of a strong President and a similarly strong Veep. Nobody's used to the idea anymore.

Imagine if it were the case, though.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Judging by the vitriol spewed on this board Bush and company are in far more danger from the rabid left than vice versa.​

The rabid left more dangerous than the rabid right? I've yet to see disgruntled liberals blowing up federal buildings (and their day care centers) to vent their displeasure with GWB and his policies.

D

deleted13797

I kind of think an Edwards/Obama ticket could be elected and work. The country has gotten used to Black secretaries of state. It could get used ot a Black VP. He could then stand a much better chance and being elected and surviving. The man has star quality.

The thing is, we didn't "get used to" black secs of state, we just saw it and didn't care. Esp with powell, he's so universally respected.

D

deleted13797

Now, a Black President or a Female President is something we can see... But who here can see an openly atheist president of the United States in current times?

Yup, atheists are the least respected group in america, it's sad.

Personally I think that might even be a tougher ask in a country where abortion clinics sometimes suffer domestic terrorist attacks.

I don't think that's relevant.

D

deleted13797

The rabid left more dangerous than the rabid right? I've yet to see disgruntled liberals blowing up federal buildings (and their day care centers) to vent their displeasure with GWB and his policies.

Just set fire to the occasional religious compound.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Obama has my vote.

People who think because he has the name Hussein that he's Muslim are small minded. His father was an African Muslim, but Obama is clearly a Christian--a member of the United Church of Christ (Congregational church).
Prep, you are correct. This is the first election in my life time when I really like all three of the top Democratic candidates. I wish I could support all of them.

However, each of the three have negatives that will be brought out.

Yes, it is extremely small minded of people to judge Obama over the religion of his father. He was raised by his mother. And you are correct, Obama is a member of the church you listed.

But those opposed to Obama will use the Hussein name and his father's religion as much as possible. It will be done on the sly through those e-mails like I posted about in another thread. This is a cheap way to libel someone and it is realistic to say that over half the nation will get at least one of those ridiculous e-mails during the election period, some getting multiple copies. And I say slander because that is what it is - spreading libel which if it was in the regular press, Obama could sue for libel. But those pesky e-mails will fly under the radar.

Obama is a good man, bright, articulate, fast thinking on his feet. He doesen't deserve the smear tactics that will be used against him.