Why bomb a commercial plane if you were a terrorist?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Jan 8, 2010.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

Aren't there dozens of targets in this country that are far easier to destroy and more effective in reeking havoc in America? I mean if you're going to off yourself with a strap on bomb anyways why a plane?

Sneak into a nuclear powerplant and detonate it.

Bomb the electricity supply lines of a major US city.

Car bomb the suspension support cable on any large span bridge.

Bomb the water aqueducts of a big metropolitan area.

Bomb the levees in New Orleans ...so it floods again.

Bomb the VISA and Mastercard transaction control centers.

The list could go on and on. Are the terrorists just naive on how much damage they could really inflict on us?

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

My feelings are that they are inflicting fear in the minds of every person who boards a commercial aircraft.

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

They want to try to shut down air travel. They know that whenever there is a plane crash it is non stop news on the cable channels. They hate and want to instill fear in everyone.

PS thanks for suggesting new things for them to do :rolleyes: I recently thought of a horrible thing that they could easily do all over the country if they had the manpower, but I wouldn't even mention it.

4. nowayzomg

nowayzomg Member

Albums:
    Oi, no need for suggestions. :/

But yea, they realize the kind of fear they've inflicted on air travel. My guess would be they're keeping the fear alive.

5. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Yup - shock value is a big part of it.

Plus you'd be surprised how much redundancy is built into power infrastructures and financial 'conduits' - hitting commerical airliners is WAY easier than that... as demonstrated. Especially seeing as there are so many paths into the transport system. Too many to secure, that much is clear. The terrorists are far more likely to get lucky that way and, as pointed out by an IRA commander (after the Brighton bomb, I think it was), terrorists only have to get lucky once, the security forces have to be lucky all the time.

6. D_Rawkesbye Deadheade

It is terrorising and great fear is associated with it. If you're trapped in a building that terrorists threaten to bomb there is still way out if an opportunity presents itself but with commercial airliners there just isn't a way out. If they succeed, 100% mortality rate is guaranteed.

7. rob_

rob_ Active Member

Albums:
    Well wouldn't you make a great terrorist. So full of innovative ideas. :tongue:

8. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    That's nothing. That's just a good start.

If you really want to blacken a 3 block area,

Bomb an auto parts store. The chemicals will make an *INTERESTING* explosion.

Bomb a paint store or chemical manufacturer,

Bomb several Wal-Marts at once. (actually, that might be a GOOD thing)

Bomb a tanker truck JUST as he's dropping the fuel at a gas station.
    Little things like that.

It doesn't appear that bombing aircraft in flight is really scaring anyone off from flying. Ever notice that Southwest Airlines is never messed with? Could it be that the Texas company lets the stewardesses carry six-shooters in their garters? :biggrin1:

9. earllogjam

Gold Member

Being made out to be such a formidable enemy by the media, military establishment and politicians, AlQueda, from all the news reports seem like a relatively small (less than 1000) band of ragtag poorly organized splintered group of losers and malcontents who are outcasts even in their own Muslim society. Why is it taking billions upon billions to eradicate them? 2 wars without any end - did we even spend this much during the Cold War with the USSR?

Is someone profiting other than AlQueda from this media induced hysteria of Jihadist terroism?

The folks who I see are benefiting from sustaining this terrorist hysteria are the Military Industrial Complex, which needs a reason for existence in this post cold war world, the media - ratings and something interesting to report, and politicians, who can claim to save us from this evil purvasive force in the world for votes.

#9 earllogjam, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  10. Flashy

Gold Member

frankly, the most terrifying and easy thing they could do, would be a repeat of the tragic Beslan School Attack, done here at a large school.

it would shock the nation to its core...worse than anything ever seen before, and it would cause so much rage to the point that people would literally be demanding the bombing of every square inch of every country anywhere, and exceptional measures in racial profiling, etc...

i do not even want to think about it....

i also posted my own terrorist "plot" a while back, that i conceived in what i believed would be the most dangerous and debilitating way possible, and what i came up with was truly, truly, devastating...and, relatively easily done IMO

those who are intrepid enough can find it on the site, but i do not think i should bring it back to the fore, which might give someone an idea, and if it circulated you get the idea.

but going back to a Beslan type of attack, it would be frightening to think, what merely 4 lunatics with grenades and automatic weapons could do to a huge elementary school....look at what that Virginia Tech kid did, with a couple of hand guns, no training, no real strategy on a college campus
    :frown1:

11. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I'd bomb certain people, I suppose, but it wouldn't be suicidal.

12. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I think that there is an interesting distinction. Beslan was about people. The perpetrators were clearly happy to target people directly, whereas Al Q for example, like to portray themselves as attacking targets. We call this an attack on an airline, or an an attack on the twin towers. It is impersonal, we are asked to think of victims as unfortunate collateral damage.

13. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Also, the intellectually-deprived perps of these cowardly acts strive to mimic their heroes such as Atta. The airline is the Mt. Everest of terroristic achievement.

Bombing a bridge may only get them 10 or 11 virgins. Whereas an airline act gets 50 with a one time bonus of 7 blonde virgins and a happy hour with Allah.

Had Reagan been in office Bin Laden would have been exterminated in the 90's, 9/11 would have never happened, and Al Queda would be 11 guys in a cave drawing plans in the sand on a budget of $18.

Draft saved Draft deleted