Why can't we make smoking illegal?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_mitchymo, Jan 10, 2010.

1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I am fed up with the way in which government is spending shed loads of money on anti-smoking campaigns. Why can't they just make it illegal?

I AM a smoker and i have been trying to quit for the past two years. I know plenty of people who have given up with great ease but for me i just find it so difficult. I want to quit and over half of all smokers do so surely if we had a vote on it there would be no worthy reason not to ban it completely.

If i had a craving it won't matter then how weak my willpower is or how stressed i got because i would'nt be able to get any. Guaranteed success!

2. rob_

rob_ Active Member

Albums:
    The government can't make smoking illegal.
    Think of all the people in the cigarette industy that would lose jobs. Also, not everyone is as willing to quit as you are. There would be a lot of pissed off people.

I am by no means a smoker, but I enjoy a cigarette every once in a while. I would be a little bit upset, but I could deal with it.

3. RedScrotum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    the goverment makes way too much money on taxes to ever make it illegal. you could tell the cigarette manufacturers and the taxing bodies "fuck you, i won't make you rich anymore, 'cause all you are doing for me is slowly killing me" and become a nonsmoker.

4. lucky8

Gold Member

Anti-smoking campaigns are paid for (in part) by the taxes collected from cigarette sales. For example, a year ago, I could buy my cigarettes for $3.93. Now I am lucky if I can find them for under $5.95...and the tax is going up another $1 this year...a $3.00 increase in tax is more than enough to pay for the advertisements...plus, the "thetruth" ads are paid for by US tobacco companies...fact

5. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Oh so its a case of putting our finances over health and yet smoking in the UK is so much more expensive than in other countries because the financial expense is incentive to give up which does'nt make sense because they are putting smokers in a bad economic position and if they could'nt risk job losses then why waste money trying to get us to quit?

Its all a load of c*** just to make it seem like they are doing something positive.

6. D_Inglethorp Rumpshow

Weed is illegal and I could get my hands on an ounce of it right now if I wanted to...

7. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I enjoy smoking, I don't see why something that has been entrenched in our society so long should suddenly be withdrawn. The government don't want us to stop smoking,they make vast revenues from it.

Why can't we make chips and cars illegal?

8. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

That says a lot about your aquaintances rather than prove a point! No Offence

9. lucky8

Gold Member

Word.

10. lucky8

Gold Member

and shit, there's already a black market for cigarettes in New York because the price is so high...ya, let's increase the crime rate...because that's exactly what prohibition does

11. D_Inglethorp Rumpshow

None taken, but I still think I proved my point.

12. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I think it is so immoral that government takes advantage of an addiction to boost their revenue when they know it is so bad for health.

I'm not joking when i say i am finding it so tough to give up, i've tried everything bar drugs to stop and the first real dose of stress and my cravings win.
    I've heard about a drug called Champix that supposed to work miracles but has side effects which include suicidal tendencies, having been so low with depression before i know that i don't want to put myself in a situation where i might not be thinking straight.

13. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    The would just be another big black market for cigarettes. They would be smuggled across borders to meet the demand of those that crave them. In the end the mafias would just wind up more powerful and richer.

Letting the state make all your decisions for you is not the way to live your life. If you want to, you can quit. If you don't want to, you won't.

I think the taxes should be high enough that it really hurts the wallet to smoke.

14. D_Inglethorp Rumpshow

How much is a pack of smokes up there? 10 bucks?

15. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    i think they should make perfume and cologne illegal.

i hate walking by someone and having that stank up my nose the rest of the day.

lol.

i do not think cigarettes or perfume should be banned.
    if you want to quit,grow to HATE it for yourself,
    do not inhale your drags all the way or all the time.

but i do not believe in bannings...it reminds me of nazism a bit.

soon public burger eating will be banned,along with 2 piece swimsuits.
    :biggrin1:

16. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

There's already a huge cigarette black market in the UK too.

I smoke quite heavily and have done for 32 years :eek:. Scary when I write it down. It would be great and much easier for me to stop if it were to be made illegal but no way would I support that. I support other people's right to smoke if they wish to.

I have all my stop smoking aids to the ready and my planned stop date is fast approaching. This will be my 3rd time stopping. Once I managed 3 months and once 6 months. I feel more equipped this time to spot the danger signs.

17. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I wouldn't want my government making decisions for me based on such things. If they banned smoking surely a ban on alcohol and fatty foods too - we know they aren't great for us but continue to make use of them. It would set a very bad precedent - I'm not a smoker and think it would be a truly awful idea.

Smokers know the risks involved, it's their decision.

18. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Oh please, they make a profit from current users, it's not like cannabis that has a noticeable effect on the mind. Drugs are fun, cigarettes don't do anything that taking a deep breath of air does'nt do. If it was illegal then it would have as much attraction as snuff now does. Very very little and would'nt be worth a criminals time.

19. invisibleman

Gold Member

20. rob_

rob_ Active Member

Albums:
    The government can't make cigarettes illegal in Canada, anyways. The natives sell cigarettes from their reserves for cheap. I'm pretty sure it's a huge source of income for them.

The last thing Canada needs is more pissed off natives. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted