Why can't we teach kids stuff like this?

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
-Nietzsche

Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. -Benjamin Franklin

D

deleted213967

A. Educate your children to self-control.

B.
i don't wanna have to eat lettuce. those stupid bags of spring mix PISS ME OFF

Reconcile A and B.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A. Educate your children to self-control.

B.
i don't wanna have to eat lettuce. those stupid bags of spring mix PISS ME OFF

Reconcile A and B.

LOL. That quote is from Monique's movie "Phat Girlz." There was a scene where a woman was doing an interview talking about her displeasure with health food. "I don't wanna have to eat lettuce. Those stupid bags of spring mix (salad) piss me off!" I thought it was hilarious, and I can relate because health food is gross.

TooWet

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Sir, that's an excellent question. Being a CSR in a public location, I'd have to say it's probably because if parents DID teach their children anything like this, I'd have at least 40% less work to do with cleaning up after people, and maybe I'd be out of a job. Most likely not, but it would be nice if adults could learn enough self-discipline as children that I didn't spend almost half of my work day cleaning up after them. At least the children just touch things. They don't spill Coke and straw wrappers and lids all over the floor just because they paid for damn drink. (Don't get me started on the condiments...)

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They don't spill Coke and straw wrappers and lids all over the floor just because they paid for damn drink. (Don't get me started on the condiments...)

Naw cuz you none got me started. I HATE being in Wal-Mart, hearing someone complain about prices, then they put a steak in their cart, decide they don't want it 20 minutes later, and leave it sitting on a clothes rack or on a shelf with the bread. SOMEBODY HAS TO PAY FOR THAT LOST MEAT. We have to help pay for people to stay after the store closes so they can clean up all the gum wrappers and misplaced items.

And a cafe/coffee shop? It's a wrap. Even if they don't use sugar, they still have to open a packet or two and just sprinkle it all over the counter, and spill some of their coffee for good measure so the next customer can get brown stains all over her white blouse.

It seems like we give ourselves too much credit, teaching advanced math has come at the expense of common sense, simple logic, cognitive thinking and even the most minimal social manners.

TooWet

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Naw cuz you none got me started. I HATE being in Wal-Mart, hearing someone complain about prices, then they put a steak in their cart, decide they don't want it 20 minutes later, and leave it sitting on a clothes rack or on a shelf with the bread. SOMEBODY HAS TO PAY FOR THAT LOST MEAT. We have to help pay for people to stay after the store closes so they can clean up all the gum wrappers and misplaced items.

And a cafe/coffee shop? It's a wrap. Even if they don't use sugar, they still have to open a packet or two and just sprinkle it all over the counter, and spill some of their coffee for good measure so the next customer can get brown stains all over her white blouse.

It seems like we give ourselves too much credit, teaching advanced math has come at the expense of common sense, simple logic, cognitive thinking and even the most minimal social manners.

No shit. I work at a gas station, and the part that really pisses me off is the way that everyone really loves to empty their ashtrays in our parking lot, or their old McDonald's, or whatever. Just, y'know, use the concrete. Despite the fact that we have SIX trash cans in our parking lot. You cannot, at any point in time, be parked in a spot, or at a pump, and be more than six feet away from a trash can.

I miss the days when parents beat their children. They grew up better people for it. And sir, I play with the sugar packets in cafes. But I clean up before I leave. And I put money in the tip jar. I always do my best to bus my own table.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No shit. I work at a gas station, and the part that really pisses me off is the way that everyone really loves to empty their ashtrays in our parking lot, or their old McDonald's, or whatever. Just, y'know, use the concrete. Despite the fact that we have SIX trash cans in our parking lot. You cannot, at any point in time, be parked in a spot, or at a pump, and be more than six feet away from a trash can.

I smoke about a pack every few days. I've probably smoked atleast 100 packs since I started smoking. I've never had to search for a trash can or ashtray, there's always one or the other around. But I can understand, some people are SOOO busy that they can't spare 2 seconds to go past the garbage can.

I miss the days when parents beat their children.

AMEN and AMEN. Now it's abuse, when I was growing up it was called "gettin' that ass in line." The worst was when Grandma wanted you to cut a switch from the tree outside. You get a small, skinny one thinkin' it'll hurt less but those are the ones that leave welts. If you get a really lame one, she whoops you, then makes you go get a better one so she can whoop you for tryin' to con her.

I always do my best to bus my own table.

Me too. My friends always laugh at me cuz when we go to a fast food restaurant or something I always clean off the table before I leave. It takes a few seconds.

TooWet

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I smoke about a pack every few days. I've probably smoked atleast 100 packs since I started smoking. I've never had to search for a trash can or ashtray, there's always one or the other around. But I can understand, some people are SOOO busy that they can't spare 2 seconds to go past the garbage can.

AMEN and AMEN. Now it's abuse, when I was growing up it was called "gettin' that ass in line." The worst was when Grandma wanted you to cut a switch from the tree outside. You get a small, skinny one thinkin' it'll hurt less but those are the ones that leave welts. If you get a really lame one, she whoops you, then makes you go get a better one so she can whoop you for tryin' to con her.

Me too. My friends always laugh at me cuz when we go to a fast food restaurant or something I always clean off the table before I leave. It takes a few seconds.

When I grew up it was called the consequences of your actions. And it did suck the most hardcore when Dad made us go get our own switches. And if you got a pansy one, he'd go get one and you'd wish you hadn't. And I'm not gonna lie. In the time period I've been smoking, I've been through...

Well, I'd put it at closer to a thousand packs now. I -may- have thrown three of them on the ground. I use a trash can. If there isn't a trash can, I use the car floor until there is one.

I consider it rude not to be the best possible customer you can be. These people have shitty days too, you know, and dealing with customers who are completely and totally self-centered, who don't know how to get off a cell phone to complete their transaction, who make messes and look at you like they have no reason to clean it up because that's what YOU'RE there for, who stare at you blankly until you take change from the penny cup to make up for what they don't have, just because they don't want to break that other dollar, because they're entitled to other people's money even if they don't need it... Those are the people who are lucky I'm at work, and in uniform. Because goddamn. Sometimes I just really want to hit a Princess Barbie in the face.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^AMEN! It really makes you wonder if these people just weren't raised, or if they were raised properly and just ignored everything they were taught. Grandma would have my ear in between her thumb and index finger if I went around grabbing things off the shelf, or tossing paper on the ground.

She told me not to develop any behaviors I would condemn others for engaging in. Really makes you wonder what, if anything, kids are being taught? Of course, this assumes the parent is actually at home and not at the club shakin' their ass, or the bar, or prison.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't think it's a matter of teaching kids these things. Kids learn by example. If the parents are slobs, the kids will be slobs. If the parents are kind and considerate, the kids will be too. I was never beaten or punished as a child but I learned how to treat other people well.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I agree Jovial. I was never beaten as a child and I never hit my kid either. She won't throw so much as a gum wrapper on the street. At 22, she is polite and caring about other people. Children learn by example. The old monkey see, monkey do principle.

Common sense and consideration are learned behaviors and can be taught. She also eats her broccoli because she had to.

if kids learn the meaning of the word NO at a very young age, then half the battle is won.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was dragged up to be considerate of others and to always be polite, especially if others aren't. (Remember, the toes you tread on today might be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.) Treat other people as you'd like to be treated and ALWAYS be nice to anyone who's serving you food. (Sceraming and shouting at staff doesn't get you better service. It just makes you look like an asshole and makes it much more likely that you'll get the steak the chef dropped on the floor and was going to throw out.) Never get involved with someone who's nasty to waiting staff. (If they're like that to strangers, chances are they'll be worse with anyone they're in a relationship with.) Clean up after yourself and be prepared to take the consequences of your actions. (If you think the punishment you'll get for doing something you shouldn't is worth it, go for it, but if not, don't do it.) Always try to help people who need it, but don't let them take advantage of your kindness. Another important one is never to get involved in arguments between partners or families.