Why do Cops act like Assholes?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Earlier this week I was coming home and the street I live on was blocked. I live on a street that starts at a fork and is very long one way street. I see a sign that says "no thru traffic" and a police SUV nearby. I start to go thru. He gets ahead of me and blocks me about a third of they way thru.

He said "didn't you see the sign?" I told him that I did see it and that it said "no thru traffic" and that I was not driving thru, and I pointed at the building that I lived at. He then told me "well you are not going past here". I then had to turn around, drive the wrong way on the one way street, go past where I live and back up several hundred yards to get home.

I guess he got mad because he did not read the sign himself. Most people hate cops because all they do is "cop" an attitude and harass people or give tickets.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Power tends to corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I don't think that's always true, it's often the ones who have just a little bit of power who let it go to their heads and overuse and abuse it.

hedonic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
haven't you ever heard of cops and the little penis syndrome that is why!

I agree. wondering how many cops are on this site and wont admit they are cops. However, they are sexy. I once said to a pair of cops, male and female, to the male, yes mate , those pants do make you arse look big and laughed. The female cop looked and winked at me as I walked away. So funny.

Sixofspades

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's also because it's a state job and so very hard to lose - you're basically always right and PR-relations don't matter at all. Very different if your livelihood is based around obtaining/keeping customers, for example.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's also because it's a state job and so very hard to lose - you're basically always right and PR-relations don't matter at all. Very different if your livelihood is based around obtaining/keeping customers, for example.

Some cops will also not hesitate to lie on the stand. Once I got two traffic tickets from a rookie cop. He refused to give me his name. He said "the name" is on the ticket. He lied, his name was not on the ticket, the senior officer's name was on the ticket. When we got to court, the senior officer lied on the stand. The rookie cop was not even there that day. The judge, prosecutor and cop were all corrupt. I had a letter from the state prosecutors office and they went in to a meeting in the judge's chamber before my case was heard.

Cockmo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Once a "hot" policeman stopped me while speeding. He said "Hey, where's the fire? to which I replied "In your eyes, officer". (He He) Seriously, Recently got pulled over for going 27mph in a 25mph zone. That really frosted my ass and he was a complete jerk...."Did you know you were going 27mph in a 25mph zone?" to which I replied "Oh, you mean that spot where there is a drastic downhill drop and I put my brakes on to stay at 25mph? Yes, I guess it did get to 27" I didn't get a ticket - I think the ugly fucker was just checking me out.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
There's a whole psychology behind this and a lot of study that's been done. Not to get into the whole thing (and I don't want to have a whole lot of people coming down on me) but has to do with the general socio-economic background of many of the people who go into law enforcement and the power factor that comes from it...you get the drift. Use and abuse. I've actually met some genuinely great cops, but most of them have been total pricks. The last few years in NYC their attitude seems to be changing some and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that since 911 people have been acting more respectful and appreciative toward them.

UncutAtlanta

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was stuck police roadblock. A black officer with an attitude asked me for the usual (this is Atlanta). I handed my laminated insurance and registration card. He ask me why they were laminated. I explained that earlier they had been destroyed during previous roadblocks. He was not satisfied.

Long story short, I was cuffed, my car was search (I was deemed combative-I was on my way to work and late).

I did win in court. The officer had had many complaints about his attitude. I got $3000 too prove his "attidude" was wrong.

There are many great policemen. Howerver, in Atlanta, most are bad.

It's a great tragedy that law enforcement attracts precisely the sort of person who should not be in it. I got pulled over last night by a cop who passed me and then turned around to follow me. I saw him go by me and slowed down immediately. I wasn't even going that fast. He gave me a ticket for 53 in a 40mph zone! I wasn't anywhere near 53 and he claims he got me on radar.

I'm fighting it. Maybe I was speeding but certainly not by that much. Plus I fail to see how he could pass me, pull into someplace, then point the radar adequately, get the proper reading, and then come after me even after I had already slowed down. He was polite but there was no talking or negotiation. Just a ticket. The town is notorious for them.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Others have said it but law enforcement attracts exactly the kind of people that should not be in the profession. Cops are the bullies, hall monitors, and jocks you went to school with. The bullies enter adulthood and find that in the world outside of the schoolyard their physical size and intimidating demeanor isn't enough by itself for them to boss other people around to make them feel better about themselves. The hall monitor types just get off on the power tripping that wearing the uniform and badge gives them and are in it to abuse their power from the get-go; they just love getting all up in other people's business. The jocks graduate high school or college and find that even though they were top dog in school they are completely ineffectual in the real world, not being very bright or particularly skilled, law enforcement gives them a career path that doesn't require them to be those things while at the same time they can feel as though they are still better than everyone else. The slightly brighter ones understand that they are worthless pieces of shit, are bitter about it, and like to take out their frustration on other people.

Law enforcement jobs also attract bigots, racists, sexists, and other small-minded judgmental assholes who feel as though it's their responsibility to affect change through harassment and intimidation. Why join the KKK to kill black people when you can join the LAPD and do it legally? If women and Asian/hispanic drivers or those kids in fast cars annoy you when you're on the road, why not become a cop so you get to pull them over all day long for no good reason and give them tickets for arbitrary made-up things like "reckless driving."

There are also those who come from the military, usually underprivileged kids who joined up in the first place just to escape the shitty neighborhoods they are from. They get to the army and are trained to kill and not much else in spite of the what the ads say. The ones who aren't bright enough to make general or go on to a solid career in the private sector end their tours or get kicked out and find that their skill set includes shooting a gun and bullying people. Law enforcement for them is a natural fit.

There are also a few idealists who join up, who want to make a difference or whatever, but when they get there they find that they spend most of their time filling out bureaucratic paperwork BS, illegally collecting tax revenue for the state or their municipality by handing out pointless traffic tickets all day long, or other banal wastes of time. They're not making any big impact in the world, they work a thankless, woefully hypocritical job in a corrupt industry. They are pressured to fill quotas on arrests or tickets, to seek convictions no matter what cost there is to justice, and eventually they start losing faith and become pissed off at the world and their job. Like many of their coworkers, they start taking out their frustrations on the common man.

Add to all of that the fact that most people are assholes, both the police themselves and the people that the police have to deal with on a day to day basis. Every person's normal penchant for asshole-like behavior is exacerbated when they are in a job where they have to deal with other assholes in the public all the time. Sales associates, customer service reps, etc. Some people are cool enough that they can work these kinds of jobs without becoming callous, jaded, and cynical, but most are not.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They are assholes because they can be. It's made worse because they suffer no consequences for their behavior.

I also think dealing with the worst 10% scum of society day in and day out warps your perception of people and you begin treating everyone like scum.