Why do Cops act like Assholes?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
mem0101 - I dont think I asked this before, it never really mattered. :rolleyes: With what race or ethnicity do you identify yourself.

Being from New Jersey I know first hand that if you appear to be anything other than white many cops will think you fit a profile. God forbid you be a brown-skinned minority and drive a nice car then you are really in trouble. For the naive among you many racist cops assume that if a black, hispanic or latino is driving a nice car they must be a drug dealer. :mad::rolleyes:

When I was much younger, before I had my own car, I would often drive my moms car if she didn't need it. My moms car was a 1974 baby blue Mercedes 240D. I can't count the amount of times I was stopped in that car for no apparent reason. :mad: Only once was I actually speeding! I received a ticket for doing 27 mph in a 25 mph zone 3 blocks from my home.

tiggerpoo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Please support our cops. They do an incredibly difficult job. They're the first people we turn to when our space has been violated. I bet that their reaction may depend to some extent on our attitude and reaction to them.

Stop thinking of them as assholes. Stop calling them assholes. Next time you see/encounted a cop convey your appreciation for the work he is doing. He'll appreciate that.

Sure, the're human like the rest of us, so they have a lot of shortcomings.

You're the asshole if you think cops are assholes.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Please support our cops. They do an incredibly difficult job. They're the first people we turn to when our space has been violated. I bet that their reaction may depend to some extent on our attitude and reaction to them.

Stop thinking of them as assholes. Stop calling them assholes. Next time you see/encounted a cop convey your appreciation for the work he is doing. He'll appreciate that.

Sure, the're human like the rest of us, so they have a lot of shortcomings.

You're the asshole if you think cops are assholes.

fuck the police. Bigoted pieces of shit. If they want respect they should do something to earn it. Until they do, they're just assholes doing a job to get a paycheck like everybody else. They don't deserve any special respect or adulation. It's not like they're volunteers. Every encounter I've ever had with a uniformed officer of the law has been a negative one. If I was some attractive young girl with big cans maybe they'd treat me better, but that's not the case. Fuck them.

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Wow, nothing like sweeping generalizations about an entire group of people. The post could perhaps be better titled "Why do some people act like a**holes?" Cops are people, too - no better and no worse. I also don't believe they are disproportionately more likely to be sociopaths or maladjusted or have Napoleon complexes, etc. Yes, I am sure there are some who fit those descriptions and it's unfortunate they have authority, but there are police commissions in place to hopefully toss those bad apples out if enough complaints are lodged.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Every time I've had any contact with the police they've been really nice to me, but all positions that carry authority (even if it's spurious authority like bouncer) can attract the wrong sort.

tiggerpoo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
fuck the police. Bigoted pieces of shit. If they want respect they should do something to earn it. Until they do, they're just assholes doing a job to get a paycheck like everybody else. They don't deserve any special respect or adulation. It's not like they're volunteers. Every encounter I've ever had with a uniformed officer of the law has been a negative one. If I was some attractive young girl with big cans maybe they'd treat me better, but that's not the case. Fuck them.

NineInchCock_160IQ isn't your attitude to cops bigoted? :confused:
And resentful and hateful? :confused:
We all do a job to get a paycheck - nothing wrong with that. :confused:
(A few of us have a job we enjoy, most not.)

Everone deserves respect. :cool:
If we don't respect others we are the greatest offenders.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual

Wow, either that was a totally sarcastic post or your intellect is questionable.

For your information:

Metropolitan Police Service - Volunteer Cadets
Police service recruitment - Could You? - Special constables
The Police Volunteer Support Team

D

deleted105034

Wow, either that was a totally sarcastic post or your intellect is questionable.

Whooaaaahhh..

Back on topic for minute, I think the title of the post is interesting..."Why do cops act like assholes" Maybe they're not all that bad but they feel they're not doing their job if they don't act the part.

Many times when I've been in a leadership position I've felt myself acting like an asshole because I was scared that I wouldn't be respected otherwise. If everybody thought they could do my job, then nothing would ever get done.

Also, think of how much illegal activity is discovered by "asshole cops" making people feel so uncomfortable that they slip up and reveal something?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For your information:
Metropolitan Police Service - Volunteer Cadets
Police service recruitment - Could You? - Special constables
The Police Volunteer Support Team

Frizzle darling, in the USA police, sheriffs, and state troopers are paid positions. They are rarely well paid; but they are paid positions. :cool:

Some small neighborhoods and communities have a volunteer police unit; but they aren't what I would call real cops. :tongue: They get a few hours training, some are even licensed to carry weapons. :eek: IMO, they are no more powerful than a security guard at the mall. :cool:

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Frizzle darling, in the USA police, sheriffs, and state troopers are paid positions. They are rarely well paid; but they are paid positions. :cool:

Some small neighborhoods and communities have a volunteer police unit; but they aren't what I would call real cops. :tongue: They get a few hours training, some are even licensed to carry weapons. :eek: IMO, they are no more powerful than a security guard at the mall. :cool:

When someone has the right to arrest you for up to 24 hours, use reasonable force, can mace and pepper spray you and all whilst still doing the job of a PC, well I'd say they do more then a "mall cop".

And if this is about jobsworths, why not say that in the first place, this thread has actually little to do with PC's, but more about people in power either abusing their position, or taking it too seriously.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Absolute Power Corrupts sums it up.

Most join the force with limited/no education at all. Therefore, like what was said...the high school bullying continues legally.

Not only is it a state job where they are nearly untouchable (except by a bullet), they have an aura around them from conservatives as "Doing a good job, and servicing the community".

I have met only one or 2 decent cops. The rest have been arrogant "Im better than you, and this badge is why".

Speaking of "Servicing the community"... Speeding tickets are nearly the #1 revenue for cities and townships to survive hard times.
While they're creating traffic jams and unsafe driving conditions, theves, murderers, assaults, robbery, rape, and a host of other crimes go un-investigated because theres More money in tickets.
Your Tax Dollars at work. Not only are you paying for them to point a radar gun at you, your' paying them again when they write you a ticket for a minor traffic violation. Then you Pay again to the insurance company, since the state labels you as a "risk driver". SO then you pay for the next 7 years, until the tickets drop off.

It's not about safety - It's about revenue.

The saying, "In heaven the police are British," is true. Your experience with law enforcement is likely very different from ours. Here we have cops arresting first graders because the first grader pulled another girls hair and the kid was charged with assault. They couldn't use handcuffs because they were too small.

Three years ago a cop shot and killed an unarmed friend of mine. A guy I had known since he was in kindergarten. The cop, who had previously assaulted another police officer who was his girlfriend, got away with it and is still on the police force.

And you haven't lived until you're a minority, as nj said.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The negative comments here towards cops could characterize government officials in general. Whether building inspectors, school officials, judges, or elected politicians. They all fit the same description of the corruption of power. They are all self serving, and out for money and power. It's not just cops...

T-Lex

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nothing hacks me off as much as seeing a cop break the very laws he/she was sworn to uphold...typically, I'm speaking of traffic laws. I wish I could count the times I've seen a cop go speeding past me, far above the speed limit, with no lights or sirens going (so no evidence of being "in pursuit"). I truly believe they just like to flaunt that they can do it and you can't.

Just last year, a local cop was speeding excessively on an in-town road, again no lights or sirens going, and he t-boned another vehicle crossing the road. The driver of the other car was a college student just getting off her 3rd shift job and heading to her first class of the day -- she was killed instantly.

I guess I initially lost my respect for cops years ago when I was a child. I was in the car with my mother and there was a cop car in front of us. Imagine my wide-eyed shock as the window of the cop car rolled down, and a Sprite can was tossed out.

All that being said, I don't like to generalize any one group of people, so I will say that I believe the "power of corruption" applies to many, if not most, cops. However, I do believe that there are good men and women in blue who do the job faithfully and to the best of their ability, with the true intent to protect and serve. How sad that they appear to be the minority.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I'm going to argue in the other direction.

Most cops I've met have been perfectly nice and helpful. Maybe it's because I'm a girl. I don't know. But I've never had a problem with a cop. My kids too -- when when my boys got skateboarding tickets, the cops were perfectly decent.

It could be that some cops adopt a particular persona when "enforcing a law" -- but on the whole, they're great people!

Several months ago, my 13 y/o son was hanging out with some kids who had a pair of handcuffs. One of them (a girl, no less!) put the handcuffs on my boy, but.... OOPS! No key!

His hand was starting to swell up so I went to the local fire station -- surprisingly, no help there.

We then went to the local police station, and it took them only a few minutes to cut off the handcuffs.

My son was impressed. Driving away, he asked me what people had to do to become a cop. :wink:

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The saying, "In heaven the police are British," is true. Your experience with law enforcement is likely very different from ours.

Maybe the Brits expect more from their law enforcement and maybe, as a result, they tend to get it. Here, it seems to be the opposite.