Why Do Most Liberals Hate the Military?

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's been somewhat odd, and somewhat not. Liberals, by in large, ...and I'm still trying to figure out what is (very similar to local law enforcement) hate the military.

They exhibit one or more of the following:
  • don't want them to exist at all
  • love when they fail, or at least pay VERY close attention.
  • love to point out the few bad apples (regardless of the stress and pay their appointed lawmakers give them)
  • their media outlets (NBC, ABC, NPR, CNN vs Fox) spend 9 times the bandwidth to find the "bad story" amongst the military, and more so spend 20 times the airtime to point out all the bad the military has provided (nee Iraq) vs the good.
  • love to spin the stats out of control... for example., find some alarmist way to spin the stat of returning Iraqi veterans and the violent crimes they commit thereof, yet FAIL to point it they are below their demographic almost completely across the board (i.e. sex, age group, etc...), as their audience silently enjoys what they are told.
  • as above, refer to them as victims... so defeating to what they do/believe in
  • they love them cool war movies like Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan.
  • 91.3% would NEVER have the balls to give their complete thoughts to a US Marine veteran, not in a million years, but on a message board, and amongst their ilk, it's fair game.
Explain. Discuss. Just don't deny.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's been somewhat odd, and somewhat not. Liberals, by in large, ...and I'm still trying to figure out what is (very similar to local law enforcement) hate the military.

• love to point out the few bad apples (regardless of the stress and pay their appointed lawmakers give them)
  • their media outlets (NBC, ABC, NPR, CNN vs Fox) spend 9 times the bandwidth to find the "bad story" amongst the military, and more so spend 20 times the airtime to point out all the bad the military has provided (nee Iraq) vs the good.
  • love to spin the stats out of control... for example., find some alarmist way to spin the stat of returning Iraqi veterans and the violent crimes they commit thereof, yet FAIL to point it they are below their demographic almost completely across the board (i.e. sex, age group, etc...), as their audience silently enjoys what they are told.
  • they love them cool war movies like Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan.
  • 91.3% would NEVER have the balls to give their complete thoughts to a US Marine veteran, not in a million years, but on a message board, and amongst their ilk, it's fair game.

Just a comment actually: why do you live in San Francisco if you you don't like liberals? :confused:

hung9mike

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm liberal and I don't hate the military. I hate how the military, and in particular veterans and current military personnel, is being abused by the current regime in Washington.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am from a military family, most vote republican, but are liberal in their beliefs and not self-hating. We particularly all agree that liberal and conservative alike have failed Vets.

Also, a good friend just got back from Iraq, say sometime between 1 and 14 days ago, he is very liberal, but serves because that is his career of choice.

Another guy I grew up with was stationed at Fort Sill after being exclusively on the west coast and Europe, and he said that he learned two things -- he wasn't a true conservative and he wasn't a true football fan. Haha.
Apparently, everyone in OK goes crazy for some football team and he had never witnessed anything like it before.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
91.3% would NEVER have the balls to give their complete thoughts to a US Marine veteran, not in a million years, but on a message board, and amongst their ilk, it's fair game.

Am I supposed to fear that a marine is incapable of reacting calmly to the fact that I never thought the invasion and occupation of Iraq was such a good idea?

D

deleted213967

Completely unfair and unfounded statement.

Liberals may be brainier about using military force, but that doesn't mean that they won't respect a war hero or even a soldier doing his/her job.

NEWREBA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think what you say is fairly truly. I would explain part of it this way: most democracies have an inherent fear of the military because of past history. The Founding Fathers certainly were fearful of having a standing army so they put the right of states to have militias in the Constitution. Also there is a certain stereotype that exists with regard to military people which is that they are overly aggressive, authoritarian, abusers of their power (police), and totalitarian in their politics. Many liberal people believe that the military is a necessary evil, and just put up with it. Also the military is usually right-wing in its political views so tends toward anti-democratic nationalism. I think this is why the liberals you talk about are critical of the armed forces. Just my opinion from talking with friends.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
No, no, no...."Liberals" just hate the way the military is used, most often.

With the way the much of the country is swinging these days, you can forgive them for wanting to be selective of who hears that.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, let's set the record straight today on 2/25/2008 that base closures overseas from 2005-2008 are happening as this thread was posted for discussion, while Bush is still the President of record !

You mean like Bush who is finding ways to cut back the military, like Reagan and Daddy Bush cut it back after it served their purpose ? Most of the base closings Daddy Bush time tabled to occur thru Clinton's first administration 1991, 1993 and 1995 incrementally. "W" himself has timetabled base closings, both domestically and in Europe to occur going out well into 2010 (2 years after he's gone). I'd buy into the Liberals dislike having a strong military even more if it weren't the conservatives spending the money on it ($ 1/2 trillion debt), working/milking the war wagon and being on the board of directors along the way for their lavish incomes and lifestyles and then planning to pull the plug on it as they phase out their careers. Let's face it, Haliburton owed Cheney so much in deferred compensation plans, the current administration saw to it the insurance policy to collect was well in place.

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | US announces German base closures
Real Estate Recession and Military Base Closures - The BRAC

Damn those liberals ?

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Norcal, has a very strong conservative community, particularly in the rural areas. Also, just because they are conservative politically does not make them intolerant socially.

ChockoKittie
I was just referring to San Francisco in my comment. I don't think you'd disagree that it is a liberal city.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
It's been somewhat odd, and somewhat not. Conservatives, by in large, ...and I'm still trying to figure out what is (very similar to local law enforcement) love war.

• can't admit defeat, and would prefer to draw it out, even if their own troops die
  • think that the less they look like "us", the better it is to bomb their asses
  • love their success stories, like when Jessica Lynch was 'rescued' and, conventiently, it was all caught on tape.
  • complain that the national anthem isn't sung in schools, but won't get off the couch stand at attention when the anthem is sung at football games on tv (the beer gets cold)
  • their media outlet (Fox) spends 9 times the bandwidth to find the "bad story" amongst the military, and more so spend 20 times the airtime to point out all the bad the military has provided (nee Iraq) vs the good.
  • love to spin the stats out of control... for example, claiming that no Iraqi civilians have died because the bombs are so accurate, victory will come at any time if you just stay the course, the war is helping the economy
  • believe that all american soldiers support the war
  • believe that Al-Qaeda had operations in Iraq, and possibly still do
  • are obsessed with cool war movies like Rambo, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon.
91.3% would NEVER have the balls to give their complete thoughts to a US Marine veteran, not in a million years, but on a message board, and amongst their ilk, it's fair game

We're in luck. We happen to have a USMC veteran in our midst.

That'll teach the damned Iraqis for bombing the World Trade Center

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Nope, that doesn't apply to me. I am not sure how to do anything else but deny it. It would be like me asking you to explain why you hate air or water or something. Why do rightwingers oversimplify everything?
Nope, not me either. My biggest concern was how badly the military were managed in this war. My heart goes out to every soldier who has to go fight a senseless war where their very generals are not listened to by the Cmdr in Chief and his advisors. Our soldiers were managed by a bunch of lunatics. All you have to do is pay attention and you can see that.

No, the media likes to do that because there is a story in it. I doubt if you could find anyone here posting about military bad apples. Liberals understand that things are not as simple as rightwingnuts want them to be. The army is full of the entire spectrum of humanity, working under difficult and life-threatening conditions. Much of it is made up of gung-ho hyped up soldiers who have been psyched to do their job with little training. The chance of some of them screwing up, doing something atrocious, or cowardly is as high as some of them being heroic. There is no way you could have conditions like that without people being bad apples.

My beef is with the reason why they are there at all, and how stunningly badly the first few months of the post-regime-fall time was managed. That was when this thing could have been done properly, and we screwed the pooch royally. Now our soldiers are dying for it.
Media outlets are run by businessmen who have only one thing on their minds and that is ratings. I was there watching the idiot reporters on all of the news channels wearing their stupid helmets as they were "embedded" in their batallions during shock and awe. The media treated it like it was a sacred event and covered the whole thing like we were liberating Paris. I was there watching the grinning chimp with his flight suit on smirking under the Mission Accomplished banner all over every news channel. I was there watching the idiotic Playing Card tally for each Al Qaeda guy we captured all over the news channel. I was there watching the statue of Saddam fall as we were "greeted with flowers" in the streets of Baghdad, all over the news channels.

But I was also there the day it all changed as Anderson Cooper stood in two feet of mud and sewerage along with a few rock stars helping people pull bodies out of the water in New Orleans, wondering why they got there but the government couldn't. That was the day the media decided that the tide had shifted, and because they are more fickle than politicians, they shifted with the tide to reflect the moral outrage of the country. Suddenly it was cool to diss the administration, and so they started in on that. Only an idiot would be blind to the fact that the media competes for ratings and therefore goes whichever way the wind blows.
Sorry, I don't get that one. As far as I know, the media likes to report crimes and outrageous stuff. If they get a story that suggests that veterans are committing crimes you bet they will put that on the air. Only an idiot would be blind to the fact that the media competes for ratings and therefore goes whichever way the wind blows.

Face, take a deep breath, you are starting to spit a lot and not make sense.
Yes, of course. Because we all know war is much more like a John Wayne movie. That is certainly what my father told me, having served in the Pacific during WWII, and my wife's father in The Bulge. He said it was just like a John Wayne movie and Private Ryan was an exaggeration.
That's just stupid. You have no idea who here talks to veterans. This is just you going, "nyaaa, nyaaa, nyaaah." Get a grip, face.

Pathetic.

krashdown

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I'm a liberal and I've proudly served 18 years active duty USN. According to the OP I've been in the wrong career for the last 18 years. WTF?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Why Do Most Liberals Hate the Military?

I don't hate the military. It is the conservatism of its bureaucracy, I hate. Besides, you can never say a liberal got us into this war. A conservative can start a war but never finish it, huh?:rolleyes:

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Why do "conservatives" insist that their crazy-ass spin on everything is always right? as evinced in the above sentence. Discuss, by all means, just dear God don't you dare insinuate that I might be wrong!! Sounds like the set-up for a Sean Hannity interview. fair & balanced.

Further, why do "conservatives" so happily accept that conservatism = jingoism, fascism, militarism, (and lately unilateralism and torture). I understand how some of these things became historically intertwined, what I don't understand is why so many who brand themselves with the one label so eagerly embrace and accept the others.

Why do "conservatives" feel that disagreeing with any of their beliefs, regardless of how asinine, is evil and must be painted and phrased as such. i.e. desiring peace = hating the military. What kind of sick twisted mind does it take to so easily and reflexively make the leap from peace to hate? as if the two things were even connected.

I think these are the more important questions. Questions that helped contribute to the fact that I no longer call myself a Conservative. I'm never going to wear that label again, though I'll also never be a "Liberal."

Reactions: dreamer20