Why Do Most Liberals Hate the Military?

whatsurflavor

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It is so far to categorize an entire group of people. U just put a large perecentage of all americans in a box. I dont that the military. critisize george bush, and the iraq war has nothing to do with the military it self.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm so over these types of questions. Just like I'm really tired of being accused of being "unpatriotic" or "unamerican" because I don't believe we should be in Iraq.
As am I. Everyone including the President must know by now this war was a stupid idea. There never was an exit plan and we are there under false pretenses. Disagreeing with his "military intelligence" doesn't make me a bad American.

Norcal, has a very strong conservative community, particularly in the rural areas. Also, just because they are conservative politically does not make them intolerant socially.
Very true, if I had to pick a town in California in which to live, it wouldn't be one of the big trendy towns riddled with celebrities. I would choose Eureka. I was just passing through on my way to San Jose for a business trip and got stuck there for almost a week during 98 due to the mudslides.

Completely unfair and unfounded statement.
Liberals may be brainier about using military force, but that doesn't mean that they won't respect a war hero or even a soldier doing his/her job.
Very true! I don't know of a single Democrat or liberal who would spit (figuratively not literally) on any active duty or veteran military person.

I am from a military family, most vote republican, but
are liberal in their beliefs and not self-hating. We particularly all agree that liberal and conservative a like have failed Vets.
My dad's family is the same way.

Also, a good friend just got back from Iraq, say sometime between 1 and 14 days ago, he is very liberal, but serves because that is his career of choice.

Another guy I grew up with was stationed at Fort Sill after being exclusively on the west coast and Europe, and he said that he learned two things -- he wasn't a true conservative and he wasn't a true football fan. Haha.
Apparently, everyone in OK goes crazy for some football team and he had never witnessed anything like it before.
Imagine my shock and personal horror, to realize when living, in Masachussetts during my early 30's that I was not an extremely liberal democrat but a moderate. :yikes: :redface:
The southeast (didn't know Oklahoma was southeast?) in general is beyond crazy for football. From DC down to the Keys and over to Texas football is a religion. Young boys are groomed for it almost from the time they can walk. It's amazing to watch if you don't come from that type environment.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I support our military even if I'm considered unworthy of joining their ranks; evidentially just my presence there would upset all those men to the point where they could no longer perform their duties.

It's a shame, really. My dad went to college because of ROTC and bought his first house because of a VA loan. Such things are denied me because of the way I way born, although the actual birth was in a military hospital.

And if, after all these impassioned, heartfelt, literate and profoundly responses to your polemical thread, the best you can offer is this lame-ass post:

Reminds me of the liberals hero.... the last senator they got into office, JFK.

Then in the words of our illustrious current president:

BRING IT ON!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I support our military even if I'm considered unworthy of joining their ranks;
evidentially just my presence there would upset all those men to the point where they could no longer perform their duties.
Well you are pretty darn hot. I can see why that might be a concern. :naughty:
It's a shame, really. My dad went to college because of ROTC and bought his first house because of a VA loan. Such things are denied me because of the way I way born, although the actual birth was in a military hospital.
The irony of your situation is cruel in a most twisted way, isn't it.

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
Sorry, the whole argument about the military and liberals is wrong.

My liberal uncles fought in WWII. My liberal nephews have fought in Iraq. I support them and I support all the troops and will stand up to incompetent, mistaken leaders who try and mis-use the troops for strategic blunders like the Vietnam War and the Iraq War.

Faceking, sounds like you've been listening to too many talk shows. (You know ... talk, not action; show, not reality).

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
FK, if you had spoken to most liberals then you may (I believe) conclude this isn't true. I may be mistaken but I'm quite sure you haven't, and because you know this you are merely being confrontational, and all this thread does is misrepresent your personal opinion as a fact.

Rather than simply seeking a discussion around the rationale of this and its counterpoints, you make what amounts to an inflammatory accusation.

I'm speaking generally here, but to me it's akin to asking 'why are most gay men promiscuous', or 'why are most intelligent women a threat' and the like. To clarify, I'm not saying you have asked those questions by they are the sort of inane, prejudice based questions that get asked here, a lot.

When questions are phrased that way, especially on emotive or divisive topics I think it's unsurprising that there's hostility (much, unnecessary) toward those asking them and among those debating them. And little actual discussion, but plenty of name calling is all that results.

That is all.

auncut10in

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So faceking, you have had for the most part, some pretty intelligent, well explained, responses to your questions. Most liberals have disagreed with your statements. The question I have is: Has all of this discussion changed your mind about how you view liberals even one iota. Or do you as a conservative choose to believe what to you want to believe and still think liberals hate the military, are unpatriotic, blah blah blah?

I would really love to hear a response to this question from faceking.

Why do I think I will never get a response to this question.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You guys are truly pathetic (there you gotten me to lob an insult)... I've on numerous occasions stayed civil in my posts, with replies of moron, gay-hater, religious-nut, etc etc...
I thought this would make an interesting juxtaposition with the next couple of quotes...
You know though... I think 50% of the time, they know better, but are just poking-the-stick in the proverbial hive... just to get a rise outta folks.
Alright, faceking, do you have your hive-poking stick ready? Here goes...
It's been somewhat odd, and somewhat not. Liberals, by in large, ...and I'm still trying to figure out what is (very similar to local law enforcement) hate the military.

<blah, blah, blah>

91.3% would NEVER have the balls to give their complete thoughts to a US Marine veteran, not in a million years, but on a message board, and amongst their ilk, it's fair game.

Explain. Discuss. Just don't deny.
I'll start by asking, was this intended to poke the hive?

Now, to the good stuff. Where do you get your information and statistics? How do you know what "liberals" think about the military?

Here's a good kicker: Have you, yourself, personally, ever been a member of the regular US armed forces? When I hear sanctimonious, self-proclaimed "conservatives" spout this kind of crapola, it's usually from someone who has never served.

Your comment about the 91.3% (which I'm sure you just pulled out of your ass)... I am a US Marine veteran. My dad served with the regular navy in the WWII pacific campaign. My brother was a navy gunner in vietnam. Guess what? Veterans, especially combat veterans, appreciate the "love the soldier, hate the war" mentality.

Your diatribe in your opening post is offensive to veterans. Let me put it to you this way: If you want to know what takes balls, tell your whining little story to a combat veteran. I'm more libertarian than liberal, but I promise you, 91.3% of veterans would be more likely to knock your teeth out for saying you support the war, than they would if you said you want them home.

I am exercising exceptional restraint here, faceking, in not making a personal attack on you (even though you knew what you were doing when you started this thread, and making it a broad personal attack on a group rather than an individual.)

Know this: if you continue with your coultergeist "liberals-hate-america" soundbytes, I WILL make it personal, and I WILL attack you.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I need to separate this out from the rest of my post, but will reiterate:

Faceking, what is your military record?

JC8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Am I supposed to fear that a marine is incapable of reacting calmly to the fact that I never thought the invasion and occupation of Iraq was such a good idea?

To echo, it's a displeasure with poor policy choices (Vietnam, Iraq) rather than the military apparatus. per se.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
History does indeed tend to repeat itself.

Different wars in the past have had different goals, including some whose goal was no goal at all.

The rhetoric from the current administration, concerning (especially) the invasion and occupation of Iraq is offensive to most veterans I know, including myself.

Did the "shock & awe" invasion really result in shock & awe? I don't think so. The twisted appeals to patriotism, the heart-string tugging soundbytes, the "fer us or agin us" platitudes, they all turn my stomach.

Faceking, for those who are still on active duty in the military, do you think it does not cross their minds to wonder precisely why they are being asked to put their lives on the line?

I might as well give up, faceking isn't going to answer my questions, because he has no answers.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Too funny.. except the part where these unemployed, rarely-bathen types as well as Code Pink are now hurting local business with the fanfare. Way to go, way to go.

Berkeley taxpayers should get their money back for the time wasted by their city council... much less sue them if/when any loss to revenue occurs either in the private or public sector.

Berkeley Faces Loss of Millions Over Marine Recruiting Flap

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 11:41 PM
&lt;SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.1'&gt;if (document.layers) {document.write('&lt;SCR' + 'IPT language=JavaScript1.1 SRC=/Global/ad.asp?type=single&amp;cls1=News&amp;src1=loc&amp;spct1=100&amp;sz1=wnsz_20&amp;callType=script /&gt;'); document.close();}&lt;/SCRIPT&gt;
pxl_trans.gif

BERKELEY (KRON ) -- The Berkeley City Council's refusal to apologize to anyone for a letter telling U.S. Marine Corps recruiters they weren't welcome in the city could cost the community millions of dollars in state and federal funding.
State Assemblyman Guy Houston hopes to convince state lawmakers to take $3.3 million from Berkeley. That money is now budgeted to fix potholes and other problems with the roads.
On Capitol Hill, South Carolina Republican Senator Jim Dement is pushing a measure to take away $2 million in special funds. That could mean nothing for the Chez Panisse Organic School. The "Semper Fi Act" would also take money from U.C. Berkeley now earmarked to catalogue the papers of the late Sacramento area Congressman Robert Matsui.
The Berkeley City Council did vote 7-2 to acknowledge both the Marines and anti-war protesters have the right to operate in the community.
(Copyright 2008, KRON 4, All rights reserved.)

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now, to the good stuff. Where do you get your information and statistics? How do you know what "liberals" think about the military?

Just my observation... the 91&#37; was a sarcastic lob out... I actually stayed up all night last night... and counted them manually... it came to 89.4% my bad.

I knew when put to task, a slew of ppl would come out. Good to see the bulk of the 11.6% are here on LPSG. Good ppl.

Have you ever held any political office in either the White House and/or Congress? If not, then you can't have an opinion here on Etc Etc regarding any politicians.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Has all of this discussion changed your mind about how you view liberals even one iota. Or do you as a conservative choose to believe what to you want to believe and still think liberals hate the military, are unpatriotic, blah blah blah?

Why do I think I will never get a response to this question.

As above, I figured a bunch of light "I support the military and I'm ultra liberal would come out". If so, they should disgusted at some of their peers vs attacking me, and explaining why this is somewhat common amongst there brethren.

Noone, I believe, admitted it was more prevalent amongst their peer group vs others, and why this is so...

I used it as a generalization, but I honestly believe in my heart, that many Libs/Dems love to see the military fail and do wrong. Their media outlets, love to highlight crimes committed in war zones as well as back home.

DC... I wish I could debate you on the points, but you sir, are impossible to have a civil dialogue with and I loathe the personal insults in dialogue... so don't bother anymore with me.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is so far to categorize an entire group of people. U just put a large perecentage of all americans in a box. I dont that the military. critisize george bush, and the iraq war has nothing to do with the military it self.

I find it out EXTREMELY compelling that within this thread and elsewhere and political statement from the right and/or against the left... has to be thrown in with Bush and Iraq.

This attitude pre-dates Bush... just ask Katie Couric.

Satsfakshun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Why do most Neocons keep beating their wives?

I get tired of hearing conservatives yammer about the patriotism of liberals or anyone else who challenges the status quo. The American government is not America. It doesn't really represent the majority of the people anymore. Therefore, hating what the government is doing has nothing to do with America and it's people.

What frustrates me is that the right is constantly telling us that it's ok for America to stoop to the same base level as our enemies and other countries like North Korea. They're more than willing to wallow with dogs (as we laid down with Syria during the first Iraq war) but chide the left if we point out the fleas.

The truth is, if we throw out things like due process, habeus corpus and suppress free speech, free news media and individual rights, then we're no longer America and there's really nothing left to defend except a bunch self-righteous, patriotic scoundrels who only exist to keep Wal Mart and the oil companies rich.

It's been said that America has a responsibility to get it right, every time, because our system whose direction is charted by an informed electorate is superior to other systems. When we err, when blindly follow the leadership of one, arrogant and ignorant leader, then we fail to be the light of hope for the rest of the world. When our leaders lie to us, not matter how sweet the lies are supposed to make us feel, we lose our ability to make good decisions regarding the course of our government. So who really hates America? I'm thinking it's the noisy, flag-wavers who don't believe that America, even though it's the strongest nation that has ever existed, is responsible for it's actions.