Why Do Most Liberals Hate the Military?

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This thread only cause's bad feelings, why do we bother?

Because there isn't a "politics" forum on here.. that way we could just ignore it.:frown1:

And we bother because it comes up listed in latest posts/latest threads. Otherwise I'd never intentionally go looking for it.

I'm off to visit the counting to 25,000... that's more fun :rolleyes:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I thought this would make an interesting juxtaposition with the next couple of quotes...Alright, faceking, do you have your hive-poking stick ready? Here goes...
[QUOTE]I'll start by asking, was this intended to poke the hive?[/QUOTE] IMO, Yes, it was.

Now, to the good stuff. Where do you get your information and statistics? How do you know what "liberals" think about the military?
It is my belief that he pulls these statistics out of his ass.

Here's a good kicker: Have you, yourself, personally, ever been a member of the regular US armed forces? When I hear sanctimonious, self-proclaimed "conservatives" spout this kind of crapola, it's usually from someone who has never served.
I seriously doubt that he has ever served in any branch of the military.
Your comment about the 91.3% (which I'm sure you just pulled out of your ass)... I am a US Marine veteran. My dad served with the regular navy in the WWII pacific campaign. My brother was a navy gunner in vietnam. Guess what?
Veterans, especially combat veterans, appreciate the "love the soldier, hate the war" mentality.
Thats what my active duty and veteran military relatives have told me since before this war started.

Your diatribe in your opening post is offensive to veterans. Let me put it to you this way: If you want to know what takes balls, tell your whining little story to a combat veteran. I'm more libertarian than liberal, but I promise you, 91.3% of veterans would be more likely to knock your teeth out for saying you support the war, than they would if you said you want them home.

[QUOTE]I am exercising exceptional restraint here, faceking, in not making a personal attack on you (even though you knew what you were doing when you started this thread, and making it a broad personal attack on a group rather than an individual.)
Hmmm, restraints, I bet you make a great Dom. :wink:

Know this: if you continue with your coultergeist "liberals-hate-america" soundbytes, I WILL make it personal, and I WILL attack you.
:popcorn:

Is it not obvious why Liberals wont exactly be massive supporters of the army?
Going round shooting people isn't exactly liberal.

:rofl: So true!

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As above, I figured a bunch of light "I support the military and I'm ultra liberal would come out". If so, they should disgusted at some of their peers vs attacking me, and explaining why this is somewhat common amongst there brethren.
Are you saying someone attacked you in this thread?

eaglespga88

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Completely unfair and unfounded statement.

Liberals may be brainier about using military force, but that doesn't mean that they won't respect a war hero or even a soldier doing his/her job.

But domis...liberals AREN'T brainer about using military force! WTF!? If it were up to the fascists, oops I mean liberals...We wouldnt have the statue of liberty, the white house, the golden gate bridge, etc...cause they'd all be blown up by now too!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Have you ever held any political office in either the White House and/or Congress? If not, then you can't have an opinion here on Etc Etc regarding any politicians.
Don't pretend to be dense, faceking. For one thing, the military is neither elected, nor representing the political interest of the constituency. Of course non-office-holders can (and should) have opinions about politicians.

My point is, it's usually those who have never served who claim that any anti-war sentiment is anti-military. My question is relevant. Answer it. Veterans usually have a different view than the neocons who claim to support them.

As above, I figured a bunch of light "I support the military and I'm ultra liberal would come out". If so, they should disgusted at some of their peers vs attacking me, and explaining why this is somewhat common amongst there brethren.
I'm disgusted with you for attacking me.
I used it as a generalization, but I honestly believe in my heart, that many Libs/Dems love to see the military fail and do wrong.
Then you believe incorrectly in your heart.
DC... I wish I could debate you on the points, but you sir, are impossible to have a civil dialogue with and I loathe the personal insults in dialogue... so don't bother anymore with me.
Which of my posts in this thread have been uncivil? Point 'em out or admit you lied.
But domis...liberals AREN'T brainer about using military force! WTF!? If it were up to the fascists, oops I mean liberals...We wouldnt have the statue of liberty, the white house, the golden gate bridge, etc...cause they'd all be blown up by now too!
Now you are just being trollish, easlespga, but that's not unusual. Let me ask about your military service, too.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Too funny.. except the part where these unemployed, rarely-bathen types as well as Code Pink are now hurting local business with the fanfare. Way to go, way to go.

Nice insult, but then, again, this whole thread is insulting.

DC... I wish I could debate you on the points, but you sir, are impossible to have a civil dialogue with and I loathe the personal insults in dialogue... so don't bother anymore with me.

DC has not called you anything, nor have you responded to his request for information regarding your past military service.

Oh, and as for this:
As above, I figured a bunch of light "I support the military and I'm ultra liberal would come out". If so, they should disgusted at some of their peers vs attacking me, and explaining why this is somewhat common amongst there [sic] brethren.

Noone [sic], I believe, admitted it was more prevalent amongst their peer group vs others, and why this is so...

You won't find anyone here saying that they loathe the military, per se, but if you had bothered to read what people actually responded, you'd have found:
Is ti not obvious why Liberals wont exactly be massive supporters of the army?

Going round shooting people isn't exactly liberal.

I don't hate the military. It is the conservatism of its bureaucracy, I hate. Besides, you can never say a liberal got us into this war. A conservative can start a war but never finish it, huh?:rolleyes:

I think what you say is fairly truly. I would explain part of it this way: most democracies have an inherent fear of the military because of past history. The Founding Fathers certainly were fearful of having a standing army so they put the right of states to have militias in the Constitution. Also there is a certain stereotype that exists with regard to military people which is that they are overly aggressive, authoritarian, abusers of their power (police), and totalitarian in their politics. Many liberal people believe that the military is a necessary evil, and just put up with it. Also the military is usually right-wing in its political views so tends toward anti-democratic nationalism. I think this is why the liberals you talk about are critical of the armed forces. Just my opinion from talking with friends.

And I'm amused that, when given the possibility of discussing this topic with a real Marine veteran, you chose not to.

• 91.3% would NEVER have the balls to give their complete thoughts to a US Marine veteran, not in a million years, but on a message board, and amongst their ilk, it's fair game.
Explain. Discuss. Just don't deny.

Guess you're part of the castrated 91.3%?

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Am I supposed to fear that a marine is incapable of reacting calmly to the fact that I never thought the invasion and occupation of Iraq was such a good idea?

Yes, you better fear him, my friend. The response "How dare you speak out against the men and women who are dying for our/your freedom" is the instantaneous one to those who speak out against the military. To many Americans, murder-on-the-witness-stand glares and knee-in-the-stomach blows are irrefutably justified for those taking this risk.

Everyone seems to forget that the men and women in this war signed up voluntarily to be in the military: they were not drafted. No, I don't want anyone to die or be injured for having enlisted, but I do have the right to wholeheartedly disagree with the military's mission and those involved in carrying it out, which naturally includes the troops.

Few newspapers would print what I've written above. I could have violent acts committed against me, or possibly killed, for having said what I just said. Free speech? No.

I eternally hate violence, particularly when it's senseless and leads to more violence.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, you better fear him, my friend. The response "How dare you speak out against the men and women who are dying for our/your freedom" is the instantaneous one to those who speak out against the military. To many Americans, murder-on-the-witness-stand glares and knee-in-the-stomach blows are irrefutably justified for those taking this risk.
The thing is, bigbull, that's why I questioned faceking's military service (or lack of, I'm betting.) Most of us who actually are veterans do not take kindly to criticisms of the servicemembers themselves, but most of us do not mind criticism of how the administration chooses to use the military.
Everyone seems to forget that the men and women in this war signed up voluntarily to be in the military: they were not drafted. No, I don't want anyone to die or be injured for having enlisted, but I do have the right to wholeheartedly disagree with the military's mission and those involved in carrying it out, which naturally includes the troops.
Yes, I volunteered - for military service. I did not volunteer for war, although I was willing to do that if required. That's not even a fine-line difference.

Do you get my point if I say "Most parents would be willing to die to protect their children, but few parents are eager to die."?

The part that really galls me is that I made the generous and patriotic offer to serve, and I made that offer in good faith. The current war is nothing more than politics as usual - financial greed and political maneuvering. I am angry that the Congress and the president have used the military as nothing more than pawns in their political games, and a means of providing sweet sweet illegal no-bid contracts for Halliburton and Blackwater. That's about as much a breach of good faith as I can think of.

Oh, and for what it's worth - all the troops who have died in Iraq have died in an undeclared, unofficial war. That's right, the US never formally declared war in Iraq.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A few have barely answered the original question and points, many have not especially the vehement ones... why liberals by-in-large hate the military. So much anger, yet little counterrhetoric. Answer mine, and I'll answer yours until then... keep yo trizzaps shut.

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Noone has really answered (especially the vehement ones) why liberals by-in-large hate the military. Answer mine, and I'll answer yours until then... keep yo trizzaps shut.

I answered it in I believe post #2, None of those things applied to me. Im liberal and I DON'T hate the military.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Noone has really answered (especially the vehement ones) why liberals by-in-large hate the military. Answer mine, and I'll answer yours until then... keep yo trizzaps shut

I did answer it. They don't.

Now, answer my questions. Especially the one about your prior military service, and the one about where I was uncivil to you in this thread... the "trizzaps" comment notwithstanding.
Still waiting...

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I answered it in I believe post #2, None of those things applied to me. Im liberal and I DON'T hate the military.
Don't worry, monster, he's trying to bait me into calling him names, but it's not going to work. If he doesn't answer my questions in an honest, straightforward manner, he is just proving that he's trolling.

rexcasual

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Noone has really answered (especially the vehement ones) why liberals by-in-large hate the military. Answer mine, and I'll answer yours until then... keep yo trizzaps shut.

How convenient. You ask a dishonest, accusatory question, that you declare no one need rebut.

It's somewhat similar to the question:

"Have you stopped beating your wife? Answer it yes or no."

And then you protest and insist on people answering your loaded rhetorical question first or you will clam up and not respond. You are just stirring the pot. There's nothing more to your thread than a rant.

Why not just write it as a rant and leave it at that? :confused:

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
While we're waiting for faceking to not reply :smile: maybe we turn this into a different question. If we drop the word "why" from the title we have:

Do Most Liberals Hate the Military?

So I'll ask, do they?

I have a perception that most liberals dislike military at-the-very-least and maybe even detest it. [I don't like the word "hate".] If I have such a notion then so would most folks to the "right" of me. It's undoubtedly a widespread belief but I don't recall any polling data to back it.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
While we're waiting for faceking to not reply :smile: maybe we turn this into a different question. If we drop the word "why" from the title we have:

Do Most Liberals Hate the Military?

So I'll ask, do they?

I have a perception that most liberals dislike military at-the-very-least and maybe even detest it. [I don't like the word "hate".] If I have such a notion then so would most folks to the "right" of me. It's undoubtedly a widespread belief but I don't recall any polling data to back it.
Even at that, I don't agree with the premise. I think it's disingenuous for him to make those assertions with nothing more than his personal feelings (which I'm sure we all know, are biased, since he hates liberals) to back them up.

Faceking is using tactics I haven't seen on this board since JQblonde got banned (for using those very tactics, incidentally...)