why do people like big ugly SUVs?

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I drive a rare 2005 Honda Civic HX. They were only produced for the California consumer that year and it was the last year of production. It's cleaner and greener without being a hybrid. And I drive stick...

Hybrids are insults to the environment too. They pollute during production of their giant batteries that need to be replaced every 5 years or so. The pollution is toxic waste that fouls ground water.

Anyway, I see the SUV driver as a selfish buffoon who gives no consideration to the world he/she will be leaving his/her children whom he/she feels he/she is keeping safe in those monstrosities.

Here in the SF Bay Area both SUV drivers and hybrid drivers drive like jackasses. I guess the SUV driver knows they are hated here so they drive however they wish. And the hybrid drivers feel self-righteous so they feel you should just defer to them automatically. (Whilst they ignorantly caused toxic waste to foul water somewhere else in the world, just not here).

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dong20,

Mate you're right; I saw that crash test between a new (-ish) Modus and the 10 (-ish) year old Volvo 940 (which was based on a crash structure introduced in 1982, with the 760, I think?).

The test proved that crash design and safety has moved on massively since 1983 to 2007. That's why the tiny Modus destroyed the Volvo.

I know that the Mercedes R-Class has not been NCAP'd yet, but I've got ten quid in my wallet that says:

1) It'll score at least 4 stars (In reckon it'll five, tbh)
2) In an offset between the R-Class and the Modus, the Modus will be squished.

In 1993, a German mag took a then new Merc S-Class, and the then new Opel Corsa, and did a 40mph offset. You can guess the results. And I'm sure this'll be echoed in and R-Class v Modus impacto.

I'm sure you will be right. Hence my get out of jail free card! I was impressed with how the Modus stuffed the hearse! NCAP ratings being equal the bigger car will come of better in most cases but the thing is that some large cars that people think are safe (the Disco being one) will come off worse even against a smaller car. That's really what I was trying to get across.

That said, even so I'd still rather be in a modus in an accident than some other low rated (or unrated) larger car. I'd also hate to imagine the chances for a front seater in the old Volvo should it hit an S class like it hit that Modus!

anonimar

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
...that some large cars that people think are safe (the Disco being one) will come off worse even against a smaller car. That's really what I was trying to get across.

That said, even so I'd still rather be in a modus in an accident than some other low rated (or unrated) larger car. I'd also hate to imagine the chances for a front seater in the old Volvo should it hit an S class like it hit that Modus!

Yep, I agree. The Disco was rubbish on many levels, and is one of the cars that typifies the misguided belief that bigger was better. We only have to look at the test between the Disco and the Espace to see that again a newer car toasted the older SUV.

As for that Volvo being clobbered by a new S-Klasse...I shudder to think of the results...and that's probably because i can imagine what they'll be...:eek:

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Simcha's right about the environmental impact of hybrid batteries. ANd as far as SUV's are concerned, are buyers still getting massive tax breaks? If I'm not mistaken it was a tax break meant for business owners, and became a loophole that has become increasingly abused.

Amazing in how many of them you can see a small tv screen with cartoons showing. When I was a kid we looked out the window, or read.

They're bloody ostentatious and obnoxious. Hummers being the most glaring example of that. :mad:

Ever try to negotiate traffic that has a Hummer stretch Limo? :mad::mad:

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Better question is, why is it now fashionable and politically correct to bash SUV's and their owners? No, I don't own one, but I still don't have a problem with those who do.

anonimar

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't like them persay, but when you have a family of 6, it's a necessary evil.

granted, but in the UK, when you have a family of mum, dad, and one bambino, a SUV becomes a necessary evil:

in the 1960s, a Simca was fine
in the 1970s a Fiat 127 was fine
in the 1980s, a Golf was fine
in the 1990s -> I need a Landcruiser.

Erm...why?

Willy_the_Wonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It has nothing to do with being fashionable or politically correct, at least for me....I've always hated them, for the reasons I mentioned above as well as others.

Now if you have a large family, I understand the necessary evil, Os..... I don't understand it with my boss, a single dad with one school-age girl, who drives it with one hand on his cellphone at all times, trying to conduct business or argue with his kid.

In fact, that's another thing...cellphone drivers in SUV's. :eek:

Far be it from me to dictate what others should drive, but in the case of many..... well, my expectations of others are pretty nil, so that way I don't get too disappointed. :rolleyes:

pleasureboy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have a jeep wrangler...the original and still the best SUV. And I love it. Of course it's dwarfed in size by some of the options out there, but for me it's a great car. This is the 3rd Jeep I've owned (had a Cherokee and Grand Cherokee in the past). All were very good vehicles, easy to work on and extremely dependable.

That being said, what I never understood were all the people who buy trucks but don't carry anything in them. I can understand if you have a farm or a construction company, but if you're just tossing the wal-mart bags in the back once a week you're spending the rest of the time driving around a heavy chunk of steel you're not using. Now those seem a bit wasteful.

Equus14

Experimental Member
Media
  • People feel safer driving an SUV
  • People feel an SUV makes them more powerful
  • People feel the only other option to an SUV is a minivan and neither men nor women care for the domestic image a minivan projects
  • People in northern climes like to have AWD
  • You can see more of the road in an SUV
  • Gas was cheap when SUVs became popular
  • Everyone else was buying SUVs

Certain ones are also modern day status symbols because of their price and the carelessness of their MPG.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
why do people like big ugly SUVs? I Dont Like SUVS they are ugly and poeple buy them to push people around on the road so I never let a suv push me around to stand up to them :):)

I'm sure you could have thrown in a few more hackneyed stereotypes with a little effort...:wink:

I have an SUV to pull my boat and haul my camping and SCUBA gear. Contrary to your silly notion, I actually drive it very politely.

When I feel like pushing people around on the road, I pull my two-seater twin-turbo demon out of the garage.

But you keep "standing up" to those pushy SUV's...I'm sure your insurance agent loves you.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think I am going to get an Audi A5 3 litre turbo diesel. 0 - 60 in six seconds, restricted to 155 mph and will do 50 mpg on the open road.

Diesel is the way to go, but do they sell that in the U.S.? I notice that VW no longer imports diesels to the U.S.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't know. I thought it was illegal to have a car that did more than 25 mpg in the States. :smile:

Oh, I don't think so. My compact pickup gets above 25 mpg...

I would go with diesel anytime I could. There just isn't much to choose from here in the States. Since VW quit that leaves Daimler Benz (too pricey), and large pickups (don't need anything that big). I wish Toyota would start selling diesels here. They sell millions of them in Asia and Europe.

bottombuddy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Never had one, and glad I never bought one. My car is costing me $35 to fill up, so I can't imagine what those gas guzzlers are costing their owners. People are still buying them. Go figure! I'm getting a hybrid next time I buy.

JUST 35 DOLLARS - 18 POUNDS UK.....GAWD........TO FILL A TANK IN THE UK YOUR LOOKING AT 50 POUNDS OR APPROX 100 DOLLARS.......DONT COMPLAIN YOUR GETTING IT REALLY CHEAP BUT DONT REALISE IT......NO WONDER THEY CALL IT RIP OF BRITAIN

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
JUST 35 DOLLARS - 18 POUNDS UK.....GAWD........TO FILL A TANK IN THE UK YOUR LOOKING AT 50 POUNDS OR APPROX 100 DOLLARS.......DONT COMPLAIN YOUR GETTING IT REALLY CHEAP BUT DONT REALISE IT......NO WONDER THEY CALL IT RIP OF BRITAIN

Yes, and most of that is tax too. Petroleum cost about the same most places it's the tax and transport costs that vary.