why do people so often blame the other woman/man

august86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
At least you'd be sparing all parties the embarassment and hurt, but yes not all cheaters are calculating and premeditative, some are just whimsical and go where the (alcohol) moment takes them =which brings me back to the point of being inconsiderate. Being in a relationship requires you to spare a thought for the other person and make decisions in their best interest as well. -which I doubt warrants exhaustive examples.

A common double-standard that most cheaters have is not being able to take what you give, or taste your own medicine, as it were, and can lead to a toxic tit-for-tat situation.

Unnamed

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can't agree with this. I also liked Petite's posts.

It is officially estimated that there is "cheating" in 80% of US relationships, and yet most still just want to look for some moral shortfall in the "cheaters", which by the way is most of you.

And 83% of statistics are made up on the spot. Lets see some sources.

Unnamed

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can't agree with this. I think that most people probably go into more serious mature relationships with the expectation of being monogamous. It then simply doesn't turn out like that, so you can't preempt the situations by discussing it first. "In ten years time when our sex life has become a bit routine, I may be away and get a bit drunk when this hot person may come on to me and I think what the hell, it isn't going to break our relationship and it's only sex." Would it go a bit like that? :smile:

Also, I was referred to a survey in More Magazine, in which over 50% of the ladies admitted to cheating on their partners. Can you guess what percentage said that they would dump a partner if they found them cheating?

99%.

So if you go around saying that you will probably cheat based on current stats, I don't imagine that you will have many relationships. :biggrin1:

More Magazine isnt a reputable source. I wouldnt suggest going around preaching the gosepl of absolving cheaters inequities on the basis of a paperback with a section called "Cougar Café" and gives clothing tips. There pool of women survey respondants, statisticans, and journalist arent concerned with accuracy, but sales. Oh, and also health and the 15 hairstyles of the year. The dull sexual lives of 30+ year old, married women and their affairs are ate up for their sensationalism. Its like watching Desperate Housewives for the upteenth season and believing it to be true. There is reason for the jump to such a conclusion. The pinnacle of human relations is dissolving around us: marriage. Divorce is at an all time high. I say because we live longer, not because we cant be monogamous.

Monogamy is a commitment. Two people are binded, whether their Facebook status says "In a Relationship" or "Married". The social contract the two vocally signed often stipulates in the regulations any acts outside the relationship are classified as deal-breaker. Most of the human race knows this. You dont have to remind us people arent going to admit to an act considered reason for disbandment. What most of the human race knows, and you seem to have overlooked, is the importance of one another. When ten years pass, and you've let your sex life getting boring, on the basis of one's own bedroom misbehaviors you engage in sexual relations with another? How, in those ten years, didnt you recognizing it was dull? And how didnt you know eventually it probably would be? Relationships arent about sex. Theyre about trust, intimacy, and getting through life a bit easiers. Its also for procreation, and the furthering of our species, but with short supplies and overpopulation, I think we dont need much more of that. Our biological needs have been fulfilled as a human race. We've obese individuals stuck a front TV sets, entertained 24 hours a day with conditioned gladitator-esque athletes whom dedicate their livelihoods to perform for us. In the case of boxers, football players, hockeymen & baseballers, at the expense of their life spand. I'd say we've far removed ourselves from the Dark Ages and times stuck in a cave where monogamy had a harder time in working.

Where we can say there are neurological & biological needs unmet by monogamy, we can also say there are neurological & biological needs unmet by the lifestyle of the aforementioned fat fuck stuck in a chair looking into a magical box. Yet, it is the crudest, anthropological, and typical portrayl of our NASCAR loving western culture. And it is the west which leads the percentage in divorce rates. And it is the west who are liberal and first stressed the importance of freedom in their Bill of Rights. And it is the west where the freakshow happens, and Michael Jackson molest children then performs new platinum songs weeks after court hearings, and our president gets shoes thrown at him or are embarassed by allegations of cheating on his spouse.

The west - america (lets throw europe & canada in there too) - is ground zero for the end of relationships as we knew it. You ask why? You say the why is the most interesting. We all really know why. Because if America is phenemonal at anything, its fucking relationships. Let your imagination play with the notion, because I am gettting sidetracked. When we talk about the science of monogamous relationships, and how it exist within the western culture, Id say the corroding of the union began with the advent for rights & freedom. Cheating happened before hand, but with the hippies turned yuppies, post-punk and free children of Generation Now who know how to txt eachother YouTube clips, and the invention of ADD, Id say ten years with the same person sounds like a drag. Forget the routine sex life, what about the routine of seeing the same face 3,650 times?

But we prescribe to the construct for a reason. The reason is because in spite my love for chaos, youve got to have a stable home. If you want the humans to keep on, then the kids are going to need a place to chill, eat, take a shit and grow. Even with overpopulation and my advocation for lower reproduction, I think a shared household is important. People need emotional affection to live. Im sure we all heard the studies on the need for babies, toddlers, teenages all the way up to adults need one another to live. So, when you fuck with the trust required to keep an upstanding household in society by cheating, youre inconsiderate, selfish, and generally have no respect for what has been established within the relations. Therefore, the other party is resigned to break the social contract which binded the two. If the agreement was a job, such misbehaviors would get you fired. Kaput! Gone! Finished!

Its not all about morals. I think more often then not morals are bendable, but when you realize youre dealing with other living, bleeding human beings who you care about and dont want to hurt, its best to remember to watch where youre stepping when walking through, and even moreso with the one you cherish, not to stomp on their hearts. Hey, they might get over it, but why do it in the first place? Take some responsibility for the action of cheating. If youre out and about with someone who obviously cant wait to jump your bones, and you know youve got someone at the house who'd go fucking bonkers if she saw how you were flirting at that moment, cut it the fuck out. How hard is self-control, man? Its a compromise for a good thing, right? If Im wrong, then go back to being single.

In all honesty, people make things way more complicated then they are. Monogamy is hard, but like any work when you commit to you see it through. If the job is too much, quit. It isnt complicated. Why cheat? Because you just dont give a fuck? Then end the thing or talk about it. I swear, sometimes, people fucking suck.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's a lot of different kinds of cheating, but not all of them involve hiding and premeditation or doing it over and over again. There's the "oh fuck what did I do last night I'm so sorry" kind of cheating, too.

For example, someone could just get really drunk at a party and do something that he or she regrets. We hear that story on LPSG all the time, especially with young people who are still in that binge drinking stage of their lives, when they overindulge to excess by accident very easily. I think that one might be able to forgive someone for doing something stupid while their judgment is literally chemically impaired. Typical remorseful acts would be to stop getting drunk at parties.
I will say this. That being drunk is the worst excuse for cheating that I've ever heard. "I was drunk and didn't know what I was doing." Horse shit. I never fucked anyone drunk that I wouldn't have fucked sober. I've been on both sides of the cheating debate. I took back a husband that continually cheated on me because I was in love with him. It took me 4 1/2 yrs to figure out that it was a wasted love and moved on. When I was the cheating spouse, it was simply because I was not getting what I thought I needed and wanted at home and looked elsewhere for it. Years later and I'm the "other woman." The first time I didn't know that he was married and after I found out, I didn't care. So..sue me.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I will say this. That being drunk is the worst excuse for cheating that I've ever heard. "I was drunk and didn't know what I was doing." Horse shit. I never fucked anyone drunk that I wouldn't have fucked sober. I've been on both sides of the cheating debate. I took back a husband that continually cheated on me because I was in love with him. It took me 4 1/2 yrs to figure out that it was a wasted love and moved on. When I was the cheating spouse, it was simply because I was not getting what I thought I needed and wanted at home and looked elsewhere for it. Years later and I'm the "other woman." The first time I didn't know that he was married and after I found out, I didn't care. So..sue me.

Nope, you are being honest about it!

Drifter is a friend of mine, and I know he's also a confirmed bachelor who 'helps out' married female friends. I have no problem with that either, as long as all parties admit to all other parties what they are doing, especially to themselves.

I found that a 'don't ask, don't tell ' policy is very usual among European married couples. But at least the one 'cheated' on admits that they do Not want to know the true state of the marital situation, simply because of convenience in other areas of their married life. The truth, in such cases, is highly inconvenient and tacitly ignored, most politely.

It is however, a ticking time bomb that could go off at any time in the form of bitter scandal if either spouse wants out of the rut.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
if i knew that when drunk i did things i would not usually do, i would not get that drunk. indeed, i do not get that drunk. i stay in control unless i'm with a well trusted babysitter, in which case i might have a few more than usual.

we don't excuse drink drivers because they're drunk!

if you can't drink sensibly then you shouldn't be drinking at all. it's a pathetic excuse for cheating.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No. not an excuse, but perhaps a mitigating factor. In his case, probably only the second time he had ever drunk alcohol.

Trust me. He self flagellated for years. He did not consider his behavior excusable. If he had, I would have never forgiven him.

D_kltuf

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I agree about the drunk excuse being lame. Drinking doesn't create a totally new alter-ego, who takes you over, it exacerbates and amplifies any existing urges or feelings you have. So the odds are that if you'd cheat drunk, you'd cheat sober too.

I was cheated on, when my boyfriend decided to simultaneously start a relationship with my best (female) friend. While I guess I can look at it more rationally now and say "God, he was a jerk", I was hopelessly and unconditionally in love with him at the time. I realised that he was desperately insecure about himself and his sexuality, so I kind of used that to rationalise his behaviour. Whereas, I blamed the 'other woman' because she was my best friend who I confided in - which she used to her advantage - and she betrayed me by being with him.

One thing I don't understand though is people who have been cheated on, who then go on to cheat on someone else. I know from my own experience, that given how devastating it was for me, I could never EVER do that to someone else.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree about the drunk excuse being lame. Drinking doesn't create a totally new alter-ego, who takes you over, it exacerbates and amplifies any existing urges or feelings you have. So the odds are that if you'd cheat drunk, you'd cheat sober too.

I was cheated on, when my boyfriend decided to simultaneously start a relationship with my best (female) friend. While I guess I can look at it more rationally now and say "God, he was a jerk", I was hopelessly and unconditionally in love with him at the time. I realised that he was desperately insecure about himself and his sexuality, so I kind of used that to rationalise his behaviour. Whereas, I blamed the 'other woman' because she was my best friend who I confided in - which she used to her advantage - and she betrayed me by being with him.

One thing I don't understand though is people who have been cheated on, who then go on to cheat on someone else. I know from my own experience, that given how devastating it was for me, I could never EVER do that to someone else.

Never say never...because you just don't know what the future holds, now do you?.

Unnamed

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes we do. We are going to live. Then were going to die. Cheating isnt some mystical happenstance inbetween. The only variable one can control in this existence is one self. Baring rape, a person can make a decision to not to fuck outside a relationship. If an old latino zealot with a fascination with a man in the sky can commit to not fucking around, I dont see why essexlad or anyone else cant.

Last edited:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I say because we live longer, not because we cant be monogamous.

Oh yeah you read about eighty year olds getting divorced all the time. :biggrin1:

Failure to be monogamous and or rather to be honest in surveys has doubled in the US in the last twenty years. Go read all about it, divorce is at over 50% within five years of marriage etc etc etc.. Some people are honest and try to understand why and others clearly just wish to carry on pretending that all is apple pie and picket fences.

Last edited:

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh yeah you read about eighty year olds getting divorced all the time. :biggrin1:

Failure to be monogamous and or rather to be honest in surveys has doubled in the US in the last twenty years. Go read all about it, divorce is at over 50% within five years of marriage etc etc etc.. Some people are honest and try to understand why and others clearly just wish to carry on pretending that all is apple pie and picket fences.

I get a new picket fence next week...I look forward to happy future! :wink:

Unnamed

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Most eighty year olds dont have to. They get lucky, because their partner probably is dead. Good riddens. In the meantime, their children are divorcing. You know, the 50 year olds who look at mommy or daddy still burning rubber and say, "ay! I got way more time on the clock. I dont got to stick it out with this asshole anymore".

Since you like the number 80, lets work with what you know. Rewind 80 years back and the average life spand was far shorter, marriages worked out and folks were greatly depressed. Not much different economically than the times we might be having soon. Now, am I saying age & medical advancements are to blame? Nah. Its more complicated than a three letter answer.

However, you posed the question. If you think you have a better answer try your hand at not using rhetoric which implies a condescension. It doesnt do well for persuading when your arguements against folks you say are on a moral high horse. Especially since you want to redirect the topic to who to blame in cheating, to why cheating isnt worth blaming anyone about. Not a smooth transition, buddy (and i am trying to help you a long too).

We all know divorce is at an all time high. Open another thread for the discussion. But I say this (or at repeat): Its not that people cant be faithful. Its people dont want to be faithful. Have your cake and eat it too? Psssh, who wouldnt take that deal? Not the fat fuck generation of consumers I was born into. Of course divorce has doubled. We are the people who saw the hippie's fuckfest, the 80s, and watch reality TV about women who get divorces after 1 million dollar wedding during a recession. Who is gunna have faith in being with one person in a such a world?

Last edited:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
My first post, unnamed, was that people take people back, because sexual faifullness isn't the be all and end all.

On the one hand you wish to agree that marriage has failed increasingly in your country from one generation to the next and for different reasons, yet on the other you seem to wish to damn these people and then me for trying to understand why. Given that this thread is about taking people back who have been unfaithful, I think it is OK to just concentrate on the sex side of relationship break ups. The smallest proportion of relationships are those that last and are sexually monogamous.

My culture and several others, which represent a far greater proportion of humanity than yours BTW, does not fixate on sexual fidelity as you seem to. There is also a significant difference between cheating within a couple of years and after twenty. The world's biggest culture finds it perfectly OK for sexual monogamy to end once the family has been well provided for and marriages do not end for this reason, in fact they probably stay together because of it.

There's a cultural irony in saying that I have never cheated in any of my twenty relationships, don't you think?

Congrats Molotov. Don't forget to maintain that fence :smile:.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My first post, unnamed, was that people take people back, because sexual faifullness isn't the be all and end all.

On the one hand you wish to agree that marriage has failed increasingly in your country from one generation to the next and for different reasons, yet on the other you seem to wish to damn these people and then me for trying to understand why. Given that this thread is about taking people back who have been unfaithful, I think it is OK to just concentrate on the sex side of relationship break ups. The smallest proportion of relationships are those that last and are sexually monogamous.

My culture and several others, which represent a far greater proportion of humanity than yours BTW, does not fixate on sexual fidelity as you seem to. There is also a significant difference between cheating within a couple of years and after twenty. The world's biggest culture finds it perfectly OK for sexual monogamy to end once the family has been well provided for and marriages do not end for this reason, in fact they probably stay together because of it.

There's a cultural irony in saying that I have never cheated in any of my twenty relationships, don't you think?

Congrats Molotov. Don't forget to maintain that fence :smile:.

Drifter, just because it's culturally tolerated doesn't mean we have to like it.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Go read all about it, divorce is at over 50% within five years of marriage etc etc etc..

Actually the divorce rate is just a little bit lower than 50% in the U.S.

FASTSTATS - Marriage and Divorce

The 2009 data from the U.S. Census Bureau indicates that about 46% of all marriages end in divorce.

snbk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
instead of the cheating spouse?
why do people fight to get their cheating spouse back?

because a spouse is not a boyfriend/girlfriend.
its much more difficult to get rid of a spouse and very often
there is an investment. joint bank accounts and joint property.
keep your friends close, keep your enimies closer.
when your spouse becomes your enemy
and they have keys to your house car and your bank account information,
you'd better make nice and fight for that person before you just cut them off.

it looks like the person is fighting for their spouse,
but i would aruge they are fighting for their investment.

SprinkleMe69

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I had always been cheated on by every former boyfriend so I gave up and focused on other things in my life around me. I never fought to get any of them back. Usually the person a majority of them cheated with was my aunt. Trust me I didn't want any of them back after they were with her. To her it was all just a game to see if she could get the guy and she did. I never blamed the other person. I blamed both and moved forward from it.

Although I did take one back one time, wasn't into him sexually at all after that. He always put gas in and bought the beer on the weekend. But I did put his face into the ground when he cheated again. I caught him and another woman at his place.

Last edited:

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
to assuage their guilt at failing.

More like because people don't want to feel like a failure, or be perceived as a failure.

Western culture still tends to place a high value on Monogamy, and the idea that once you've exchanged vows, those vows are for life, no matter what.

You go against that, and for whatever reason, you're viewed as a failure. No matter if the other party broke the vows, or agreement.

And, yeah, there is the self esteem issue. People don't want to even consider that there is something wrong with them, even if their partner was the one who wasn't faithful.

Also, people do not want to even consider the idea that they're with someone who is not a good person, who is a cheater, who is not who they thought they were. It's the idea of "What's wrong with me, why isn't she/he satisfied with me.

Although, to be honest, there are just as mmany reasons for blaming the other woman/man as there are for people to cheat on their significant other/spouse.