Why do white people get tribal arm bands? You have no tribe!

billman

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have been in Africa for a almost a year now U.S. Navy and have seen many examples of Tribal art on bodies as a MD. It is a custom here and a means of ID as to where you are from and tribe. And as for White have no tribes you have no clue into history. Come back when you have educated your self until then you are not qualified!

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
ALL human beings come from tribes.

The only question us how far removed a civilized culture is from its original tribal origins...

But beyond that... Its just ART... people often put on their bodies the Graphic that they think looks cool, or sweet, or funny... without regard to culture.

lasolasbud

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I have been in Africa for a almost a year now U.S. Navy and have seen many examples of Tribal art on bodies as a MD. It is a custom here and a means of ID as to where you are from and tribe. And as for White have no tribes you have no clue into history. Come back when you have educated your self until then you are not qualified!

Hope “billman” is not referring to me; I’m educated, have a degree in history and in this specific area. I’ve seen a lot of posts today and people are really lashing out at one another. I’m guessing it’s the hot political and economic climate that is making people aggressive lately. To his credit, “billman” is right in his African reference but this is the USA and historically we never tattooed outside of branding slaves and that is an entirely different topic. Putting that all aside we tattoo for decorative purposes. Tattoos are part of the costume. The way we dress, style our hair and all that other stuff is a way to feel connected to a group of likeminded individuals they call tribes. Today we really don’t call them tribes unless you’re in high school and want to sound cool. Pick a piece of pop culture and start to walk, talk and act like them. Get a tattoo just like theirs and you are immediately connected; you belong. The only problem is one day you may not want to be like Justin Bieber or Mylie Cyrus; you will have grown up and no longer want to be associated with that group or tribe. Guess what? You’re screwed. All you really need was a driver’s license, a passport or maybe a pair of dog tags (a fashion statement, part of a military costume and ID).
So let’s go back to the original post on this threat. “Why do white people get tribal arm bands? You have no tribe!” It sounds a little racist at first but I know it’s not (I hope not). The truth is we can all trace our ancestry back to a tribe but it doesn’t mean anything in today’s culture. It’s all decoration. It’s part of the costume. Tattoos are more permanent than a baseball hat so be careful. It’s also a collectable, a hobby and an addiction. Let’s not delude ourselves into something it is not.

Exbiker

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't know about anyone else. But I designed my own tattoo, kind of in what is known as the "tribal" style...

I like it, and so do some other people. I've had complete strangers of both sexes compliment me on it, on beaches for example, or in changing rooms.

It kind of follows, kind of accentuates the lines of the body. I do work out a bit, but I think I'd have to bulk out ridiculously ( or waste away ) for it to look totally wrong ...

I just like it. Took a while to think about it, but I was happy when it was done.

I think one reason some of us get them, is to generate miles of pointless discussion on web forums ;-) All human life is here ...

Fairylove47

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hope billman is not referring to me; Im educated, have a degree in history and in this specific area. Ive seen a lot of posts today and people are really lashing out at one another. Im guessing its the hot political and economic climate that is making people aggressive lately. To his credit, billman is right in his African reference but this is the USA and historically we never tattooed outside of branding slaves and that is an entirely different topic. Putting that all aside we tattoo for decorative purposes. Tattoos are part of the costume. The way we dress, style our hair and all that other stuff is a way to feel connected to a group of likeminded individuals they call tribes. Today we really dont call them tribes unless youre in high school and want to sound cool. Pick a piece of pop culture and start to walk, talk and act like them. Get a tattoo just like theirs and you are immediately connected; you belong. The only problem is one day you may not want to be like Justin Bieber or Mylie Cyrus; you will have grown up and no longer want to be associated with that group or tribe. Guess what? Youre screwed. All you really need was a drivers license, a passport or maybe a pair of dog tags (a fashion statement, part of a military costume and ID).
So lets go back to the original post on this threat. Why do white people get tribal arm bands? You have no tribe! It sounds a little racist at first but I know its not (I hope not). The truth is we can all trace our ancestry back to a tribe but it doesnt mean anything in todays culture. Its all decoration. Its part of the costume. Tattoos are more permanent than a baseball hat so be careful. Its also a collectable, a hobby and an addiction. Lets not delude ourselves into something it is not.

Fairylove47

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
@Phil Ayesho Well sir you obviously don't know alot about your history, as you claim you know about history. In fact in Scotland and throughout celtic history as well as scandinavian countries. Tattoos were prevalent amongst the vikings and celtic tribes. They were indicators of not only their culture but what particular clan or tribe they were part of. Their tattoos also included their spiritual beliefs, as well as the customs within those beliefs. But then again that's what happens with american historical views on world history. It's just wokeness filled with b*******. Try to remember sir, africa is not the only country, or shall I say continent on the globe! As for your Comment about whiteness, You're a straight up racist!

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
@Phil Ayesho Well sir you obviously don't know alot about your history, as you claim you know about history. In fact in Scotland and throughout celtic history as well as scandinavian countries. Tattoos were prevalent amongst the vikings and celtic tribes. They were indicators of not only their culture but what particular clan or tribe they were part of. Their tattoos also included their spiritual beliefs, as well as the customs within those beliefs. But then again that's what happens with american historical views on world history. It's just wokeness filled with b*******. Try to remember sir, africa is not the only country, or shall I say continent on the globe! As for your Comment about whiteness, You're a straight up
I don't know why this was directed at me. I said nothing whatsoever about whiteness. WHat I said was that ALL people come from tribal origins. Which implies that tribal tattoos might be appropriate for ANY given people.