Why do women cut their hair short?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Flashy, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

This question honestly perplexes me.

I have never seen a woman who looked better with her hair cut really short, than with it long, no matter how pretty or how average or how homely their face.

As a young man, i Had long hair for about 5 years, and i loved it (damn you male pattern baldness :mad: )

I understand that it can be a pain from a maintenance standpoint, but it is not *THAT* much of a pain...

mostly i notice that it begins to occur as a woman ages...she almost seems to come to a time where she cuts off her tresses as a sign of "maturity" (maybe?) or saying goodbye to the young woman in her...as woman get past 40 they seem to cut it shorter and shorter.

i will show you what i mean with these photos (some notable celebrities just for illustrative purposes)

now, i am not necessarily talking about just a somewhat shorter yet still feminine 'do, like this: (on the lovely Helen Mirren and Michelle Pfeiffer)

http://www.filmsandtv.com/i/a/helen_mirren.jpg

http://www.leninimports.com/michelle_pfeiffer_gallery_26.jpg

I am talking about when women do the shortly cropped 'do, which is more mannish than anything, and *NEVER* looks as good as with longer hair examples below:

http://hdtvcaptures.blogsome.com/uploads/images/20030805_Leno_JamieLeeCurtis.jpg

http://images.dailystar-uk.co.uk/dynamic/22/281x351/53166_1.jpg

http://www.wallpaperez.net/wallpaper/celebrities/Halle-Berry-201.jpg

http://www.speedace.info/films_movi...mages/halle_berry_oscars_fllintstone_hair.jpg

http://hair-craft.co.uk/files/Natalie Portman short style.jpg

what are the ladies views on these points about short hair?

-in your honest opinion, do you think you look better with long or short hair?
    - why do you believe it becomes so prevalent as a woman ages that they choose to cut it shorter and shorter?

all opinions, theories and thoughts please.

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Hey.........I'm GAY and can clearly see how HOTTTTTTTTT Halle Berry is with her "short" hair!............it's all a matter of preference

3. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some women can get away with very short hairstyles. Some can't. It can radically change your appearance. I wore my hair short when I was in my early twenties but got tired of being compared to Jamie Lee Curtis so I grew it out again.

Halle Berry, as Indy mentioned, would be hot even if she had a shiny dome.

When a woman has angular or outstanding features, sometimes a short 'do will show off her features better than longer hair.

4. JustHangin'

JustHangin' New Member

Albums:
    Why do men grow their hair long???? (like me) You use the style that fits ur personality the most... if it feels comfortable, just do it ....

5. Flashy

Gold Member

not really. no woman, even Halle Berry, looks better with a short mannish crop than longer hair.

the reason why you may find her hotter that way is maybe precisely because of your stated orientation...the short crop she is wearing is a style more proximate to a male, thusly making it a more attractive look to you as a gay male as opposed to me who is a straight male (IMO)

with regards to Halle Berry, what straight males find sexy about her is her body and face, not her haircut....so the haircut can only do two things...add to her sexiness, or detract from it. (IMO)

6. Flashy

Gold Member

i understand where you are coming from, but when looking at a beautiful woman with features like you stated, (an angular jaw, high cheekbones etc.) like Michelle Pfeiffer, who has beautiful bone structure, it is always much more flattering when surrounded by longer, straighter hair, much in the way a frame surrounds a painting.

a woman's hair should frame and accentuate her face. Short hair does not do that for women.(IMO)

7. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have to agree with you, Flashy. I don't get the motivation, but 99% of the time the shorter 'do just doesn't look nearly as appealing as the longer one.

I can give Natalie Portman a bit of a pass, though...it took some balls to shave her head for her role in V for Vendetta.

8. Flashy

Gold Member

i am not saying that style or comfort is not important...nor am i saying it is wrong for men to grow their hair long or for women to keep it short...i am saying, why do women do it, when the vast majority of them do in fact look less attractive with it very short-cropped then with it at a longer length and women are ostensibly choosing the style they feel makes them *MOST* attractive.

If women were only concerned about comfort, they would simply shave their heads...no split ends, tangles, blow-drying etc...

so there still is a most-definite asthetic element to it...as such...that is where it does not make sense, in that it is the very rare woman, with a short crop who can actually look good with it...and even rarer still, the woman who actually looks *BETTER* with it cropped short, then medium to longer lengths.

9. Flashy

Gold Member

i agree Hazel...i understand giving NP the pass for when she had to shave her head, (demi moore did the same for GI Jane IIRC).

10. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Nice categorical assumption.

I find that lots of women look like hammered shit with long hair.

The length of a woman's hair is a style issue.

Its like saying women ALWAYS look better in shorter skirts... ( I know women that do not look good in short skirts)

Or that women can NEVER look attractive in pants and should only wear skirts... an idea that any well shaped woman in well fit jeans reveals to be myopic.

As an artist I can tell you that hair length is just another issue of form, and balance.
    Just as women with large breasts and wide hips look stunning, women with small breasts and a lighter frame can also look stunning.
    Its all about the balance.

And stating that all women look better with long hair simple shows that you have a fetish for longer hair on women.

If it works for you, fine... but don't imagine your particular bent to be the defining ideal for feminine beauty.

11. lucky8

Gold Member

I agree with flashman, I don't like feeling like I'm having sex with a prepubescent 12 year old boy

12. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Have you ever thought, Flashy, that maybe you (and Hazelgod and others I'm sure) just happen to have a preference for long hair? An awful lot of men do.

Thing is women, older women especially, get their hair cut for themselves and what they prefer and not to attract a man.

The other thing about older women and short hair is that women's hair can also change and thin over time - this happens more post-menopause I believe, but may be a factor for 30-somethings too. Some women don't like the difference they feel in their hair and find short haircut an easier way to keep it fuller and more styled (to make up for a loss they feel that others might not notice).

Yet another factor is motherhood - I can't tell you how many times I have washed sick (and even poop once!) out of my hair, or carefully removed a sticky lollipop or half chewed biscuit from my hair. So far I have resisted the temptation to get a fucking crew cut and be done with it!

And finally, we are fucking GIRLS - we like fucking with our hair :biggrin:. We can't get it cut long, can we!!?!? (Extensions are expensive and don't work on all hair types.)

#12 ManlyBanisters, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  13. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    I totally agree with this. In some cases a lot of hair can distract from the face.

I suspect a lot of women go with short hair for the same reasons guys like me choose buzzcuts: They're active, athletic people and really couldn't be bothered with having to worry about complicated hair care or intensive styling. My grandmother -- who's 83 and still swim laps, golfs, cross-country skis, and even goes whitewater rafting on occasion -- has always had short hair for this reason.

Also, some people's bodily thermostats run hot. I'm this way, and even a half-inch of hair is enough to make me feel overheated. A woman who's like this might not want to be weighed down by a lot of hair.

I'm straight, btw. So my views aren't informed by any preference for a more masculine look.

Steve

14. Flashy

Gold Member

enter the always obnoxious Phil, to start an argument, instead of a discussion.

as opposed to your nice categorical assumption about women looking like "hammered shit".

lovely, as usual.

however, most of those woman who look that way, tend to be because they are either homely, or select a very poor long hairstyle...but i guarantee you that those same women that look as bad as you say, would look much better with an appropriately styled long haircut, then a shortly cropped one.

if you look like "hammered shit" as you so kindly say, the attempt is to cover and disguise flaws as apposed to expose and accentuate them.

case 1. Jennifer Aniston. on Friends and in films, her hair is almost kept very long, parted at or close to the middle, and always hangs covering as much of the sides of her face as possible, thus covering her unflattering jaw.

http://www.seduflatironsonline.com/images/jenniferaniston/jenniferanistonseduhairstyles4.jpg

http://www.enjoyfashion.com/images/fashion/beauty/jenifer_aniston.jpg

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/2/20652/22_2007/JenAnistonHair.jpg

same exact premise with a woman like Victoria Beckham

http://www.hrhairstyles.com/victoria-beckham-long-hair.jpg

http://images.dailystar-uk.co.uk/dynamic/22/281x351/53166_1.jpg

same exact premise with Neve Campbell

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2006/stylechannel/makeovers/061030/neve_campbell400.jpg

http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/c/Campbell_Neve/sq_campbell_neve.jpg

http://celebsalon.sheknows.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/neve-campbell-cropped-spiked-hairstyle.jpg

it has nothing to do with saying women look better in short skirts or in pants.

Hair and clothing are two completely different things, and you as an "artist", should know better.

Hair may be form and balance, but like it or not, short closely cropped hair, approximates a woman's look to be more mannish, which, for a woman, is simply not as attractive.

15. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Remeber that show Felicity.
    The main protagonist, Felicity, cut her hair short without telling anyone in between the filming of first and second season. She had beautiful curly hair then cut it. The first season did great. The second, the show got cancelled early on due to low ratings. Most blame the hair cut. Even women tuned off.

16. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

That sound like Pedro from Napolean Dynamite. Except he shaved his head and then wore a wig. :biggrin1:

17. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    regardless of all of the above,

when you cut your hair short ladies;

WE HAVE NO EASY WAY TO DRAG YOU BACK TO OUR CAVES!!!

18. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Pssst, thad - your 10% is showing :shhh:

:wink:

19. Flashy

Gold Member

1. indeed, i do have a preference for it, but it still does not change the facts that it is extremely rare for a woman to look better with a short crop than with longer hair, despite preferences of someone like myself or hazel or others.

2. as for older women getting their haircut to suit themselves and not how they appear to men, what you said precisely echoes my point...they choose a less flattering style, in exchange for the ease of it. They know they will not look as good, but do not care since the tradeoff is functionality instead of attraction.

3. as for thinning hair, that is understandable too, but if you look at the pictures of Helen Mirren, her hair has thinned considerably from her younger days, yet her longish hair still looks beautiful, as it is styled, feminine and has enough length to it to make up for any thinning.

Obviously if a woman is experiencing severe thinning, she likely will not look as good whether the hair is long or short.

4. i am sure you still looked lovely even with the poop in your hair...:smile:

but once again, that is functionality...which is something i have zero problem with at all.

I understand functionality completely, my mom, both my grandmothers, my two older cousins, my great aunts, etc. all had shorter hairdos as they age/aged...but it was always of the Helen Mirren style pictured in my original post...long enough to do a bit of styling, while still being functional and practical.

not a short cropped do...

the short cropped do is not really a claim of functionality...it is an attempt at style...and it never looks better than long hair.

by this i mean, that you, have selected a shorter hairdo, because it is functional and keeps up with your needs in life, be it children, exercise, swimming etc...but it likely is not a short crop...

because a medium length hairddo like the Mirren photo is still just as practical as the short crop while still retaining an air of femininity to it.

the crop retains no feminine qualities...it is a form of statement, not function...and as the woman is using it to appear "edgy" or "stylish" then it loses its ability to be critiqued for its functionality, and for what it is...an attempt to change a beauty appearance...and in that context, it almost always fails to look better than the longer hair probably 99% of the time as Hazel and I suggested.

now, the first girl i fell head over heels in love with when i was 15, had a sort blond do...sort of like the Sienna Miller short hairdo (but longer in the back...it was not a crop...just a short cut...she was still completely beautiful to me...but then the next year, she grew her hair out...and she looked utterly dazzling.

would i love someone any less with shorter hair? No. several of my girlfriends have done it, fortunately, not the short crop, but the medium length do...and each time, they were trying for a new "loolk"....and all of them, to a one...all 5 of them when they grew their hair longer again said that once they grew it back long they all realized they looked better with it long.

If it wasn't the case, girls would never wear long hair through the years when they were supposed to be attractive (early teens to 30s or 40s ) as opposed to the age when you rightly said they do not care about attracting men anymore (which explains why they cut it, for function, not look)

If women looked better with short hair than long, women from the time they were very young, through adolescence and puberty and college, and the single life etc. would all have short hair, and long hair would be the exception not the rule.

Women like to look their absolute best...that is a fact...and the vast majority of that time, that includes long hair...don't take my word for it...the facts are borne out by the reality that women choose long hair over short the vast majority of the time...they confirm it with their choice that it will be the style that makes them most attractive.

20. Flashy

Gold Member

very true...Keri Russell i believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted