Why do you smoke?

D

deleted3782

thanks baby! i'm really proud of myself. :redface:

Way to go stacy!!!!

I tried to smoke in college. I bought a few packs, sucked a few cigarettes down...and nothing. It didnt do anything for me at all. I gave up.

I havent smoked pot since 2001. Not by choice, just no offers and Im not lookin for it. Ya, a dork...I know. :rolleyes:

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Way to go stacy!!!!

I tried to smoke in college. I bought a few packs, sucked a few cigarettes down...and nothing. It didnt do anything for me at all. I gave up.

I havent smoked pot since 2001. Not by choice, just no offers and Im not lookin for it. Ya, a dork...I know. :rolleyes:

We all gotta grow up sometime...

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i've never smoked, but i would at least like to try it out...

sounds horrible, yes, but i'm just horribly curious about how it feels.

especially pot. :p i guess marley can tell me about that.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
welllllll.....

I no longer smoke anything. I quit smoking cigarettes 5 months and 3 weeks ago today, and its been around 3 months since I smoked pot. GO ME!! Now if I could just find a fucking job, life would be good

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
welllllll.....

I no longer smoke anything. I quit smoking cigarettes 5 months and 3 weeks ago today, and its been around 3 months since I smoked pot. GO ME!! Now if I could just find a fucking job, life would be good

Good luck, I mean that seriously and as a joke cuz the job market blows balls right now.

i've never smoked, but i would at least like to try it out...

sounds horrible, yes, but i'm just horribly curious about how it feels.

especially pot. :p i guess marley can tell me about that.

Hell yeah Marley can. Of course it works better if ur pants are pulled down and ur banging me while you inhale, you get the full effect more!!

Last edited:

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Good luck, I mean that seriously and as a joke cuz the job market blows balls right now.

Lol Thanks man....Yeah the job market sucks ass here. Sad thing is, if gas weren't so expensive right now, I could drive and hour east to Huntsville and get a decent job in no time at all. My area (TN valley of North Al) is undergoing a huge boon in population and jobs b/c of BRAC moving thousands of gov't jobs to Huntsville. Its estimated that the Huntsville Metro/Tn Valley of N. Al will add over 60k people and 25K new jobs by 2011. Great time to be in Huntsville....but its still shitty to live here lol

Edit: Forgot to mention this... I quit smoking pot to get a job that was "guaranteed " to me almost a month ago....and I still haven't heard anything back on it. Oh the irony. With my luck, the second I token on a joint or something, someone would call me and offer me a job, after taking a drug test lol

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Lol Thanks man....Yeah the job market sucks ass here. Sad thing is, if gas weren't so expensive right now, I could drive and hour east to Huntsville and get a decent job in no time at all. My area (TN valley of North Al) is undergoing a huge boon in popluation and jobs b/c of BRAC moving thousands of gov't jobs to Huntsville. Its estimated that the Huntisville Metro/Tn Valley of N. Al will add over 60k people and 25K new jobs by 2011. Great time to be in Huntsville....but its still shitty to live here lol

If we don't find jobs in 2 months, I suggest we break into someone's basement and live there the rest of our lives, smoking pot and watching Office Space and Half Baked.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This is weird. Last night I resolved to not smoke today and to make a serious attempt at quitting. It's making me feel dirty. It's 9am and so far so good. I went for a long run this morning, I think it helps.

I smoke because it is a stress reliever and it is social. I quit before for 12 years. But I started again when I moved to where I live now and everybody smoked and all it took to hook me again was 1 Winston Light!

Weed has never made me sleep. Whenever I hear people say say that I am like, WTF? Even 'back in the day' when we smoked a lot, I could never fall asleep for about four hours after a joint. If smoke pot, I am up half the night, reading, playing games, watching TV, It makes me a bit a maniac. I only toke a couple times a years now. It's great with sex.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Weed makes some people anxious. It makes me relaxed/sleepy.

Did you know that your lungs start attempting to heal as soon as 5 minutes after your last cig. So in between smoke breaks your lungs start teh process.

I imagine that the longer you smoke , the less effective this process will be.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
If we don't find jobs in 2 months, I suggest we break into someone's basement and live there the rest of our lives, smoking pot and watching Office Space and Half Baked.

You've got a deal man! You're in Charlotte right? hmm.... I've got some relatives in Charlotte, and some in the Winston-Salem area....I wonder if any of them keep there basement windows locked lol Oh...I'll bring the cheetos, reeses cups, gummy bears, etc., if you'll bring the weed. We'll have to set up a hydro system somehow, and then we'll be set. :biggrin1:

MARCOPOLO4

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i started smoking at age 26 or 27 i'm now 55 i smoke for many of the same reasons posted here. during the day at work i don't think much about it just during my off periods. i'll have two or three before work a couple at lunch time and 3 or 4 between quitting time and bedtime. i don't smoke in my house or in my car and do my best not to smoke around other people so as to not offend them or see their gestures as they walk past me.

HyperHulk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Wow, thanks everyone for sharing your stories, it's been really informative. I've had ongoing conversations with my Dad about his smoking but I stopped because he felt like I was preaching to him and would get so defensive. He would claim that it was so hard to quit--like someone said, it's as addictive, if not more than heroin. Although my grandmother quit cold turkey 20 years ago because she refused to pay the high prices anymore.

Lucky8--I've heard a couple people recommend Allan Carr's "Easy way to quit smoking" It's like the most popular book on the subject.

I remember being so upset at cigarette companies for targeting kids because they know that if they can get a kid smoking, they have a customer for life. Insidious.

I'm a bit torn up at the moment because I was just informed that a relative I was close to died today and she was a heavy smoker. But I haven't heard what she died from. I hate cigarette companies, really.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Commenting on some of the smokers I know:

Some do it because its a class thing; smoking is fashionable for perhaps the socialites and I think that it is one of the "poor"'s few pleasures. I'm not saying that to be condescending, its an observation.

Some people do it as part of a self destructive lifestyle I think...not getting into it but it includes other detrimental acts.

Some people do it because they are stressed/anxious/nervous and thinks that smoking helps with that. I was always told it did nothing but apparently it does have a calming effect. I wouldn't know.

Then I suppose there are smokers who just do it because everyone else does it...

I myself think that it's disgusting and I hate being around smoke. I even hold my breath if I walk past someone who is or has been smoking. I go out of the room if I'm eating and 'someone' starts smoking (at home). My nan is the worst though. She always smells literally like an ashtray. And I always tell her so. :tongue:

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I started at 14 because it was "cool", then stopped again at 16. I started dating a smoker at 22, and soon was back on 40 a day. I decided in mid-February 2001 that it was time to stop and haven't had another one since then.
The thought of giving up was harder for me to deal with than actually stopping. Once I'd made my mind up that I would it was a lot easier. The worst part was finding something to do with my hands. I had a few months where I was constantly tapping pens on the desk and chewing the ends of them, but apart from that, I didn't really suffer much at all. I don't think I was even more bad-tempered than usual. Mind you, that was about the time when I started working from home and didn't have to face my boss every day. That's enough to improve anyone's mood!
Now, smoking doesn't bother me at all. I can think of three times when I've thought, "I wouldn't mind a cigarette now," but i wasn't a case of having a craving, it was more like remembering a similar time when I'd enjoyed a cigarette in the past.
I must admit though, I don't feel any healthier having stopped than I did before.

EboniGoddess

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I smoke it because I like it, helps me deal with stress, helps me fall asleep, and makes me more pensive than the masses of sheeple who are too scared to think for themselves.

Strange thing is that sex does all of that for me. Sex releases stress for me and when i'm done i'm tired and ready to sleep. I was asked to smoke a cigarrete when I was in the 6th grade. Before I even thought about it I said no. Years of "say no to drugs, smoking and strangers" lead me to say no before I thought about why I was saying no. The other girls said "I know they said it gives you cancer and stuff but you gotta die anyway". At that moment I got a picture of all smokers being this dumb. I know we all gotta die but i'd rather be a 90 y.o. woman who dies in my sleep. Being that I don't plan on having children until i'm atleast 30 I'd like to be able to raise them to see them grow up. Also cancer runs in my family so the last thing I'd like to do is increase my risk. My grandfather died of lung cancer in 1996 and a year later my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. My grandmother was terrified because she had seen how my grandfather slowly died. My mother was ony 36 when she was diagnosed and was 39 when she died. I want to live to see my kids grow up. I was only in the 7th grade but my brother was only in the 1st grade. My mother always cried once she found out there was no nope. I guess when your kids are so young you wonder what they'll look like when they get older, what your grandkids will look like, what yor kids will be when they grow up and what kind of people they'll be. I remember one time she looked at my grandmother and asked her "is there anything they can do to speed this up?" I remember thinking to myself "is it that bad that you wanna hurry up and die?" Of course euthanasia is illegal so she had to slowly die. I never would want this to happen to me. Cancer and the other diseases smoking causes are very serious. I'm 19 but because of the fact that cancer runs in my family (great-grand parents had it too) my doctors have recommended I start getting screened at 25 (even though they ussually don't until with other people until the age of 40). I will admit in my freshamn yr. of college I smoked some weed. It did nothing for me and I had a flash of a black lung in my head and I then said to myself "WTF are u doing?" Haven't smoked since then and never will. Smoking is like paying someone to kill me. There's no way I would hire a hitman to kill myself so why should I pay the tabacco industry to kill me?

As far as the nicotine addiction goes, both of my grandparents smoked (before I was born). My grandfather stopped 1st and my grandmother a few years later. Even though he stopped 1st he go the cancer. You're more likely to get the disease the more you smoke. My grandfather smoke 3 packs a day ( yes 3 packs!) while a pack of cigarettes could last my grandmother almost 4 days. Every friday my grandfather would buy a carton of cigarretes. My grandmother and grandfather stopped cold turkey (no patches or remidies). She just looked at it as giving it to god. She prayed about it and that was it. They too started at an early age. My grandmother started when she was 16 and my grandfather was 13. Smoking is a bad habit and can be life threatening. Just wondering, does anyone know why Camel cigarretes no longer uses Joe Camel? Well, there was a study some years ago where they sat a tons of kids down and gave them a test. First they put up a picture of Mickey Mouse of the screen and asked the kids who it was. Some knew and some didn't. Then they put a pic of Joe Camel up on the screen and asked them who it was. Nearly all the children said it was Joe Camel. The researchers were shocked that more kids knew Joe Camel than Mickey Mouse and it didn't take long for people to say that Joe Camel was created to appeal to kids to smoke when they get older.

Just thought I'd share my first hand look on Cancer and other things:redface:

maestro071

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why do I smoke - Because I'm an immature idiot, who doesn't care about it's health and prefer to poison myself and people around me. And I need to be punished for that - someone should slap me each time I take a cigarette, should not allow me to have any lighter or similar device. Should force me to eat that bullshit with filter, should perhaps kill me and all other of these species that still exist on the Earth. And that will be the only way to finish with all of us terminators!

magicmorgan

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
What odd timing. I just turned on a morning news show in Australia and they have on a guy who has been studying cannabis use. When asked about the relationship between cannabis and cancer, he said that a recent study has shown that cannabis can be up to 6x more carcinogenic than nicotine. I have no idea how conclusive that study is.

When it comes to the health risks of smoking, how do smokers rationalize those risks? Do you think, everyone goes sometime from something, it won't happen to me or I'll quit soon and there won't be any long term effects, etc?

niiicee...but you fail to recognise that someone who smokes cannabis dusnt smoke as much as a tobacco smoker.

if you summed up the amount of the average tobacco and cannabis smoked by a population or sample of smokers.

you would see that the tobacco is used in much higher amounts.

i smoke the herb, i smoke 3 or so joints of it a month. so do the math lol

oh and i smoke herb because it is fucking awesome thats why

Last edited: