Why doesn't America like football?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_HappyHammer1977, Nov 16, 2005.

1. B_HappyHammer1977

B_HappyHammer1977 New Member

A new global study has revealed details regarding the worldwide popularity of Premiership football.

26,000 Premiership fans from 170 different countries took part in the inaugural online survey that was conducted by the Premier League's main sponsors, Barclays Bank, back in September.
    The study was carried out as part of ongoing research into better understanding the attitudes and lifestyles of football fans around the world.
    1,000 hours of Premiership action is seen in 517 million homes around the world every week, with the average global Premiership fan spending 106 minutes-a-week watching England's top flight on television.
    The study concluded that The Premiership is the most popular domestic league to its global audience because of the players, goals and style of football seen in the competition.
    In particular, 46 percent of respondents from Brazil say they follow The Premiership because of the style of football played, though fans in Italy and Portugal pointed to 'atmosphere' at Premiership matches as being the most attractive part of the league.
    98 percent of respondents believe Chelsea will retain the Premiership title this season, with Arsenal, Charlton Athletic, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur the most fancied sides to claim the European places.
    Arsenal striker Thierry Henry is the most popular current Premiership player worldwide, though Wayne Rooney topped the list among respondents in Canada at 33 percent.
    Barcelona and Brazil star Ronaldinho is the number one player fans would most like to see in The Premiership at 39 percent, while Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is the most popular Premiership manager globally.
    Manchester United legend Eric Cantona was considered the greatest-ever Premiership player among fans, though former United and Denmark goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel topped the list among respondents in Singapore and Thailand.
    Old Trafford was voted the greatest football stadium in the world, with The Red Devils still commanding the biggest global fan base, according to respondents. It remains to be seen what impact the study will have on The Premiership, though Premier League officials are sure to study its findings quite closely.

(From skysports.com)

**And this is just talking about The Premiership in England...what about all the other leagues around the world?!**

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Americans have a very short attention span.

And small bladders.

3. B_HappyHammer1977

So how can they sit there for two hours watching padded wimps charge at each other for two seconds and do nothing for two minutes?!

(Ah, yes! That's what cheerleaders were invented for!)

4. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Soccer moms.

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Easy. American football stops every few minutes for commercials. Soccer keeps going no matter what. Americans can't concentrate that long.

6. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    I don't like football either.

7. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    seems we're most comfy with what we imprint with as youth

Soccer has loads of fans here in Toronto (we've got a lot of immigrants) who watch via satellite. Pro league failed in North America in the '80s coz the quality was poor and therefore attendance was low.

Local joke from that era:
    A guy is invited to attend his first-ever soccer match by a mate, and falls asleep during the game. He is startled awake by the huge roar of the crowd which has leapt up and is cheering wildly. Rubbing his eyes he shouts at his mate "Did we score?" Response: "No, a shot on the goal!"

8. Matthew

Gold Member

Too much running up and down, back and forth, not enough scoring.

9. B_horribleperson

B_horribleperson New Member

i watch the EPL, i order the soccer package from the dish network. the only other place it is shown in the states is on fox world sports channel, but the match is a week old so you know who won already. ESPN shows the last 2 rounds of the champions league matches and they have the final live.
    when miami had a pro soccer team i would go to a few of the games and there couldnt have been more then 3,000 people, and maybe 100 where white, everyone else where all hispanic. i went to a US national game v Brazil and 30,000 where all brazilian. only in the northeastern US will you find a crowd that is mostly US fans.

that is the state of soccer in America.

10. invisibleman

Gold Member

In the US, Monday Night Football lockerroom is better.
    In the UK, Manchester United lockeroom is better.

11. Cicero77

Cicero77 Member

Nice new avatar HappyHammer! I'll be walking past Upton Park in about 10mins when I go home hehe. ;)

I always figured americans didn't like 'soccer' cos there isn't enough padding involved. Americans seem to like their games with huge men with loads of padding. Except their college wrestling scene of course hehe... *drool*

Ian.

12. Shelby

Gold Member

Well getting my jingo jones on I'd have to say be happy with the way it is.

If the American public cared about soccer American teams would dominate the sport - all the good players would follow the money.

13. Dr Rock

Gold Member

sounds like my last friday night

14. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've heard plenty of valid criticism about the frequent interruptions in American football action due to TV breaks, etc. No argument there.

I've also heard plenty of snarky comments from soccer and rugby fans about what wimps American football players are for wearing pads.

Question: How many of those same critics would be willing to stand up and let one of those professional wimps crash into them at full speed, pads or not?

SG

15. Dr Rock

Gold Member

playing sports is lame compared to shooting each other

16. B_HappyHammer1977

I used to do that when I played rugby (badly) at school.

*poor widdle player get a bwuise on his liddle head? aww...put a helmet on!*

17. B_HappyHammer1977

It appears people objected to my last avatar! Can't think why?!

UP THE 'AMMERS!

18. B_HappyHammer1977

That was actually my point...currently USA is higher in the world rankings!
    How is this possible with a team made up of players from the second division and bench players!
    I did also predict before the last world cup that USA would get to the quaters and they did! Should do something similar next year.

1Brazi
    2Netherlands
    3Czech Republic
    4Argentina
    5France
    6Mexico
    7USA
    8Spain
    9England
    9Portugal
    11Turkey
    12Italy
    13Sweden
    14Denmark
    15Germany
    16Japan
    17Uruguay
    18Greece
    19Croatia
    20Costa Rica

(from fifa.com)

19. B_HappyHammer1977

I take that's irony?!

20. Dorset

Dorset New Member

Albums:
    Lol, have you ever watched a rugby game? When a rugby player is stopped by a 20 stone guy play doesn't stop but all the other 20 stone guys from both teams jump on top. I think it's appropriately called a 'maul'.
    I'm too skinny to play but I remember watching a kid get his pelvis broken in a tackle when I was at school
    (Oh yeah, I'm too skinny and too SMART to play rugby)

Draft saved Draft deleted