Why doesn't America like football?

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I'm Canadian, and mostly ignore soccer, so I'll reply anyway.

First of all, it's not football, it's soccer. Moving on...

Too slow (the field is big, and the players seem to move slower).

Little sense of what I call "escalating tension". There's no equivalent of the 2-minute drill, half-court offense, power play, or based-loaded situation.

Little scoring. Coupled with the lack of escalating tension, goals appear to occur almost randomly.

Having said that, I probably will watch parts of the World Cup, because I'm in a couple of pools, and lose-and-go-home events are usually pretty watchable (similarly, I like the NCAA basketball tournament, and I couldn't care less about college basketball otherwise).

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
rob_just_rob said:
Too slow (the field is big, and the players seem to move slower).

Little sense of what I call "escalating tension". There's no equivalent of the 2-minute drill, half-court offense, power play, or based-loaded situation.

Little scoring. Coupled with the lack of escalating tension, goals appear to occur almost randomly.

I completely agree, Rob. Soccer bores me to tears and basketball's my favorite sport for exactly those reasons. I'm way too ADD, I like lots of points. Of course I also differ with most norteamericanos in that baseball tends to bore me for the same reasons (although you've got a point about "bases-loaded" tension in baseball).

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
rob_just_rob said:

That's how I see it too. Due to my low exposure to soccer I'm probably missing nuances and such but the way you've described it says how I see it.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
rob_just_rob said:
....There's no equivalent of the 2-minute drill, half-court offense, power play, or based-loaded situation.

No need for foul language....:tongue: What's all the above then? It's OK, don't explain, I once asked someone to explain offside and the effective difference between 4-4-2 and 4-2-4 or 2-4-4 formations for example and about 30 seconds in I found I was trying to gnaw off my own hand...:eek:

rob_just_rob said:

If you watch closely there is a pattern to it...honestly (so I'm told:rolleyes:). Trouble is you can grow old during that wait, a 0-0 draw in a key match leaves you feeling somehow...cheated, and deciding a match on penalties is such an anti-climax.

rob_just_rob said:
Having said that, I probably will watch parts of the World Cup, because I'm in a couple of pools, and lose-and-go-home events are usually pretty watchable (similarly, I like the NCAA basketball tournament, and I couldn't care less about college basketball otherwise).

I may watch some of the later matches and maybe the final...I never really understood basketball (or American Football for that matter) but that's more laziness and ignorance of the rules coupled with an overt disinterest in watching televised sport.

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think this thread is a little misinformed, as skysports and the BBC are typically on this specific issue.

The American soccer fan scene is typically a small, tight-knit group whom keep in constant contact with eachother through message-boards like bigsoccer.com. There are four distinct sets of fans in the US.

1) American Nationals- Love the US National Team, come out in force for national team games, support their local MLS side. Maybe even a member of their local supporters club for their MLS team (I'm one of them). This is by far the quickest growing demographic at games. The kids and moms come out too, but it's mainly young men in college and late highschool who are coming to games more and more. This is a positive for the USA.

2) American Euro Posers- These are American nationals whom have no tie to any European city or team, just pick one at random and try to come off as a hardcore (insert team here) fan. They bash MLS and the US national team.

3) Latino's/Latina's- A very interesting group in the USA. They typically only support their side back home, but they too are starting to head out to more MLS games. As the quality improves, more come out. If they really start getting into MLS, this league could quickly take off.

4) European Ex-Patriots- Typically the least likely to come out to a game. They'll show up for Exhibitions, but many of them feel that MLS is beneath them and only watch their local side on TV.

Football is a growing sport here, no one can deny that. Our national team is quickly gaining a huge following in this country, with innovative advertising 25-45 thousand at a USA game is quite common now. MLS is doing well for itself. Not many expected this league to last 11 years, and the fact it has is a huge achievement. Average crowds of 15-22 thousand come out for MLS, though some teams are significantly less. Attendance is comparable to the Championship in England, or French League 1.

Soccer has two major enemies in this country...the media, and stupid white trash who feel its fashionable to bash the sport. The media takes a shot at the sport whenever it can, leading to a lot of resentment by normal everyday people, simply because guys like Tony Kornheiser and Jim Rome say so. However, the soccer culture is almost an underground counter-culture here. It's unique in that respect. It's a fuck off to society to support this sport here.

Hope that cleared up any misconceptions.

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
SpeedoGuy said:
It stood for Major League Soccer which was a failed attempt to establish professional soccer in North America.

We're still around, jackass.

See this is what I meant about misinformed. MLS is still alive and well. In fact, it's in better shape now than it ever was.

There are currently 12 teams in MLS with a new expansion team coming to Toronto next year, and three more planned after that. What's encouraging is that three teams are now playing in stadiums that are soccer-only facilities. A new oe in Chicago opens June 11, a new one in Denver in April 07, and a new one just outside of New York in April 08.

The twelve teams in MLS

FC Dallas
DC United
Red Bull New York
Houston Dynamo
New England Revolution
Chicago Fire
Columbus Crew
Colorado Rapids
Real Salt Lake
Los Angeles Galaxy
CD Chivas USA
Kansas City Wizards

Expansion 2007- Toronto FC

Here's links so you actually understand whats happening with soccer in this nation, rather than listening to people whom have no idea...

www.mlsnet.com (official website of the league)
www.metrofanatic.com (fan-site for Red Bull New York, formerly named Metrostars)
www.bigsoccer.com (major soccer board in the nation)

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
LINittanyLion said:
The media takes a shot at the sport whenever it can, leading to a lot of resentment by normal everyday people, simply because guys like Tony Kornheiser and Jim Rome say so.

Those assholes just like to masturbate to the sound of their own voices. I never listen to a god damn thing they say.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
LINittanyLion said:
I think this thread is a little misinformed, as skysports and the BBC are typically on this specific issue.
Soccer has two major enemies in this country...the media, and stupid white trash who feel its fashionable to bash the sport. The media takes a shot at the sport whenever it can, leading to a lot of resentment by normal everyday people, simply because guys like Tony Kornheiser and Jim Rome say so. However, the soccer culture is almost an underground counter-culture here. It's unique in that respect. It's a fuck off to society to support this sport here.

Hope that cleared up any misconceptions.

Thank you for that unbiased report. :tongue:

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
rob_just_rob said:
Thank you for that unbiased report. :tongue:

Welcome:cool: Oh, and support Toronto FC next year.

I'll be making a trip up to toronto next year with the Empire Suppporters Club to see Red Bull NY take on Toronto FC. You want to see true American soccer fans, go to that game.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
warmhorizon said:
Well here's a kicker for you. I'm English and hate football but love American football. Ooh, how confusing. :tongue:

I'm English as well and I don't like either...I can tolerate the World cup (a bit) and Rugby is OK (ish) to watch but I don't follow any sport in that sense..:smile:

D_Claude Hopper

Experimental Member
Media
When I was growing up I had the luxury of playing both american football and futbol. I played American style for 6 years (no college-i'm nowhere near big enough, talented enough, or strong enough). I played it's cousin for numerous seasons, basically from when I was 4 to 23. Up front I enjoy playing soccer much more, but after 19 years as a midfielder, I have an understanding of the game that most people here in the US will never have, or probably want. With that in mind, most people here in the US are going to go with what they're familiar with-the pigskin.

I don't blame them either. Think of what makes the games different from an economics scale and reward versus imput.

Take american football for instance. If you wanna make THE big $$$, that's where it is. Inherrently, the best athletes will flock to that sport. It's just the way it is. Also, I know soccer has a rap as providing one of the highest injury rate per player over time stats (not in my case ironically, I never "broke" anything of my own playing soccer, I've definitely been a lot more wounded playing american footbal, pads and all, and I was a viscious soccer player).

The other thing that's really a huge draw for american footbal is that the game constantly evolves. I don't see anything developing in soccer. That's a game that doesn't change.

just my 2 cents

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
SpeedoGuy said:
Not sure why you're so sensitive but I'm not trying to antagonize you or anyone. I think you need to lighten up a bit.
You said the league was a failed attempt and pretty much stated it was dead by using the past tense. Forgive me for being a bit touchy.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
LINittanyLion said:
You said the league was a failed attempt and pretty much stated it was dead by using the past tense. Forgive me for being a bit touchy.

No problem, mate.

Here's where I got my info. Its not completely clear about former league names and name changes in the past:

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=8ajr43dsdj9ra?tname=major-soccer-league&sbid=lc06b

And thanks for the links to more info. My interest has been picqued so I'm trying to learn more about the sport. Suggestions for a U.S. newbie are welcome.

NYBTM99

Just Browsing
Media
I think one of the primary reasons football has not gotten much attention in the US, as was alluded to earlier, is because there are no breaks in play. That would make it near impossible to sell enough advertising in the US media. The US media are only interested in maximizing profits, not giving the people what they want. Without an incentive to make money, I doubt football will go very far on the major networks. Granted there are ESPN2, 3, etc. to show the sport, but these channels also show all kinds of junk to fill air space.