Why doesn't America like football?

horsehung

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
easy, soccer is like a lot of foreplay without sex,a high scoring game is 2-1and worse yet is that obnoxious ggooooooooooooaaaaaallllll,,when score they a GD goal,the rest of the world knows it sucks,they just dont want to be the first to admit.:tongue:

serviceman1965

Sexy Member
Media
In yesterday's game to determine one of the final four for the World Cup, the game went through two overtimes. The outcome was determined by using penalty kicks. That would comparable to deciding the World Series (baseball) champion by a home run derby. That's one reason I don't care for soccer (football).

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
hung9mike said:
Seriously, though, it's difficult to make comparisons between athletes in different sports because of the different physical demands of each sport.

Very well put. I was pointing out, that they sprint, take physical punishment, have to have stanima (different than a runner/soccer-footballer) and so forth. Besides, playing defense non-stop is less glamorous (and harder) in any sport. While the "scoreres" seem to get the credit/fame.

I think another reason is Americans just didn't grow up on it, and has become a VERY VERY VERY sports-minded nation. So at this point... "there's no turning back".

Americans also won't have interest in a second-rate product. The soccer league here does "okay", but.... the baseball, football, basketball leagues shown on TV are the best in the world (and Americans don't mind foreign players in those leagues). Likewise, the golf tours, stock car racing (your #4 and #5 sports) are high-end product that Americans are familiar with.

Americans don't like cricket, and it's played on every continent as well. Likewise, other "baseball" oriented nations don't either... thinking US, Canada, Japan, Domincan Republic, Cuba, etc...

One thing with soccer, and I'm a BIG fan, is every American I've watched the World Cup... LAUGHS at players going down and fawning injury. Mid-air body collisions and these guys are taken off in stretchers, or they look up first to see the refs reaction, then go back down and wither in pain. I've yet to come up with something legitimate to explain why that is done, and how that is not embarrassing.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
serviceman1965 said:
In yesterday's game to determine one of the final four for the World Cup, the game went through two overtimes. The outcome was determined by using penalty kicks. That would comparable to deciding the World Series (baseball) champion by a home run derby. That's one reason I don't care for soccer (football).
Or the Super Bowl on field goals. Yes, it is one drawback... here these guys have toiled for 120 minutes, on passing, tackling, shooting, crosses, headers, ...and everything that makes soccer a great TEAM sport. Then the game is left up to a tactic/drill/exercise that is REALLY isn't part of the game (yes, I understand a PK can happen mid-game)... but it's like all that work for nothing.

Also, this year... I haven't found one fan that isn't dissappointed that they took away the golden goal in the second overtime period.

For the final match (let's not relive '98).... they should let them keep playing until someone scores. For the matches before, you don't want to run a team so ragged playing for 3 hours, that they are spent for the next match. But... for the final match... where do these guys have to play next, that's more important than the Cup??

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
PenisAv said:
I think Americans don't want to change anything. You are a people of habits. You are drinking bad coffe from bed coffemashine (old style), you are washing your staff in a public landry (old style), most of you don't shave underarms (old style- like a monckey), you are eating simple food (most of you don't know how to cock best food), you are using bad vacum for cleaning your carpet, if you see somebody who dressed in Armani or Prada you think this guy is GAY...
BUT IT IS OK! IT IS YOUR LIFE! WHO KNOWS MAY BE BETTER LIFE.

LMAO. This is good.... deft banal spitfire. Love it.

However, most of us do own our own washer/dryers, I believe.

Oh, and I do have some Prada as a 100/0. Armani no... 'cause Armani=gay. ;-)

B_HappyHammer1977

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm sure it's been mentioned on LPSG in the recent months, but as I've not been on here and catching up with the rubbish I was posting a year ago, I thought it worth asking our American cousins what they thought Mr.Beckhams' impending arrival will mean for the MLS...?

D_MisterBater

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
football is niche sport in the US. the internet and satellite tv is slowly changing that. the champions league final was on fox. that is a good sign.

THEDUDEofDestiny

Experimental Member
Media
soccer was one of the lasting gifts of the british empire. The rules were first drawn up in 1848, long after we had stopped being a colony. therefore, we didn't get it until it was imported later. also, soccer is similar to basketball to a certain extent. whereas baseball and football and croquet and rugby can be confusing to new comers, the general rules of basketball and soccer can be picked up by little kids in a matter of minutes. also both are easy to play all you need is a ball and a goal. so in short, soccer was invented during a period in history when we were not particularly close and we already have a sport filling its niche over here. it is still widely followed by both our immigrant and young affluent urbanite crowds so some americans like it.

THEDUDEofDestiny

Experimental Member
Media
Lol, have you ever watched a rugby game? When a rugby player is stopped by a 20 stone guy play doesn't stop but all the other 20 stone guys from both teams jump on top. I think it's appropriately called a 'maul'.
I'm too skinny to play but I remember watching a kid get his pelvis broken in a tackle when I was at school
(Oh yeah, I'm too skinny and too SMART to play rugby)

i played outside center in highschool and we toured the UK. to be fair we lost more than we won and we were ranked nationally in america, but none of the teams could match us in size because our forwards were all members of our perfectly ok american football teams third team. rugby tends to draw thick body dudes but they don't carry the mass and speed american profootball players do. people would getting fucking killed if they didn't wear pads.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
wait, why was this bumped?

The reality is that most rugby is played at close quarters, so the momentum of impact is not as great as can be in US football where one guy is running at full pelt watching a ball coming over his shoulder and another has him in his sights.

The Offense Defense engagement is over played IMO in terms of impact and is no harder than our scrums.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I hate football for some reason or do you mean soccer? I don't like soccer either, now hockey that's another story especially if I can go to the game and watch them slam into the glass :). I hate watching sports on tv.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The reality is that most rugby is played at close quarters, so the momentum of impact is not as great as can be in US football where one guy is running at full pelt watching a ball coming over his shoulder and another has him in his sights.

The Offense Defense engagement is over played IMO in terms of impact and is no harder than our scrums.

I don't think people like American football for the impact per se- otherwise, Australian rules would be more popular. A lot of it actually has to do with the suitability of American football for TV coverage. That- and there's a lot of strategy and thought that goes into the game.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My favorite sport is probably American football (NFL specifically, and the San Diego Chargers more specifically), followed by baseball (San Diego Padres), ice hockey (RIP San Diego Gulls), then perhaps college basketball (University of San Diego and San Diego State). I'll watch soccer during the World Cup, but can't see myself sitting in a bar watching a ball get passed back and forth for 90+ minutes with a 0-0 tie going for just a friendly match. If San Diego had an MLS team, I'd admittedly buy season tickets probably. I played soccer when I was a kid- I think the majority of American kids do.

D_Wally Walnuts

Experimental Member
Media
I think it may be because big time professional soccer is fairly new to America. The NFL, NBA and MLB have all been around for quite sometime now. To the extent that most franchises have been a part of their city for a least a generation. Maybe after a couple of years it'll become more popular. I'm not that familiar with the rules, but i'll try to keep up during the upcoming World Cup.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've Never understood the attaction of football myself. However given the choice to watch either football or american football I would choose football.

In american football they spend far too much time worrying about where the ball lands. Constantly looking at different camera angles to try and make an absolute decision in fear of calling wrongly.

The game shouldn't have to be like this, can't people just accept the referees decision regardless, This is proper sportmanship.
It teaches respect, to accept, to forgive, and be tolerant. Lifes unfair, so who cares if the game is somethimes unfair. Thats life.

Oh the adverts are very annoying also.

Tbh ive alway been into Rugby, this is to me an exciting sport that doesn't carry around much negative stigma. The cameras have come into the sport but only in a minimal sense.

Last edited: