Why Don’t We Hear About The Pulse Nightclub Shooting Anymore?

oldguyontinder

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I know it happened 5 years ago, but we still hear about the Charleston church shooting, and the Dark Knight Returns shooting in Colorado on a regular basis. The death toll at Pulse was far greater than either of those. Do you think it’s because the lives of gay men aren’t valued to same as other citizens? I think the reason has more to do with the perpetrator’s background. I feel certain that if a stereotypical redneck committed this crime the media would talk about it a lot more.

Reactions: Sunstar

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
In part it's because the shooter was killed which meant there was no trial. Another part is that his act was that of an Islamic homophobe. It was seen as religious violence/terrorism not racial violence. If I remember correctly his wife, family and associates were in the news during the investigation for some time after for evidence of conspiracy.

Had he survived he and his victims and their families would have been in the news for years after as the case was adjudicated and his appeals from death row dragged on.

It's the price we pay for the existence of religion and a right to bear arms for a well-regulated militia which no longer exists.

For hundreds if not thousands who knew the victims the empty places in their hearts & lives remain.