why dont ethnic people tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woogexx

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
there is a fine line between trying to tip and just not tipping. if you run up a 200 dollar bill and you only brought 210....that is pure disrespect.....i dont care if thats all you have....instead of making the bill 200...make it 190....if they can be selfish...i can have an atitude. its called courtesy...u do not leave ur server a 2percent tip...PERIOD!

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
there is a fine line between trying to tip and just not tipping. if you run up a 200 dollar bill and you only brought 210....that is pure disrespect.....i dont care if thats all you have....instead of making the bill 200...make it 190....if they can be selfish...i can have an atitude. its called courtesy...u do not leave ur server a 2percent tip...PERIOD!

again, with education being as atrocious as it is in this country, your grievance may be with math teachers who fail to get their kids to learn simple math.

woogexx

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
yea....either bad math...or just wasnt taught how to tip properly...in any case that doesnt pay my bills and it is your responsibility if you want to be a good human-being to investigate and try to tip accordingly.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
yea....either bad math...or just wasnt taught how to tip properly...in any case that doesnt pay my bills and it is your responsibility if you want to be a good human-being to investigate and try to tip accordingly.

true, no one is saying that tipping you less than what you deserve is right, but i find it hard to believe you feel no sympathy for people who are less fortunate than you, it's not always because of asking for less, some RECEIVE less. some don't have the opportunity's you do to make 15 dollars an hour. i hope you're getting closer to the answer to your question, and i hope your posts don't represent your true feelings of minorities and women.

D_Aston Asstonne

Account Disabled
Media
if they cant afford to tip then they shouldnt eat out. Its a slap in the face. If you decide to go out, knowing you have no money to tip or don't plan on it. Then well, that to me shows what type of person you are.

I say that, but at the same time. Some people are raised to not tip or tip badly...and they dont know. Well still...not my problem...this is 2008, need to learn...grow a fuken conscience
i agree,i ALWAYS TIP!i once worked as a waiter in the early 80's and believe me...its ass-busting work!Folks underestimate how hard these guys work if they're too cheap to leave a decent tip..they should by all means stay at home...or hit the local Mickey d's

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
again, with education being as atrocious as it is in this country, your grievance may be with math teachers who fail to get their kids to learn simple math.

there you go again, complaining about something that has nothing to do with this thread. it's not bad math, or a bad education system that leads people to not tip. it's asshole mother fuckers who feel they are better than you and don't realize that without their tip, you're only making $3 an hour. it's not that they forget to leave a tip. they know they are supposed to tip, and consciously choose not to because they are too into their own lives to consider anyone else.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
there you go again, complaining about something that has nothing to do with this thread. it's not bad math, or a bad education system that leads people to not tip. it's asshole mother fuckers who feel they are better than you and don't realize that without their tip, you're only making $3 an hour. it's not that they forget to leave a tip. they know they are supposed to tip, and consciously choose not to because they are too into their own lives to consider anyone else.

first of all, my comment was a joke, second of all you're ASSUMING that someone thinks they're better than somebody else. again, poor tipping may not be intentional. it's wrong, but that doesn't mean it's on purpose. your opinion of humanity seems to be a low one in some aspects. you're consistently assuming the worst of poor people.

woogexx

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I 110 percent know where your coming from. I feel ya...but what i dont think you understand is. This is how i make my living, this is so i dont go hungry, become homeless, have clothes to wear. put gas in my tank, send my family birthday presents......why should I have to sacrifce and accept THIS one in 10 person tipping me badly just because hes not doing too well? it is hard to feel sympathy for someone who just screwed me and bascially took money out of my pocket. So what youre saying is when I get a dollar tip my reaction should be "awwww, this is probably all they could afford. Oh well, thats cool. I can buy a can of soda"

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
now dont get me wrong, I get my fair share of white trash that doesn't tip either. but yeaaaaa 90% Black, asians, hispanics....dont....why?

If you can state 90 percent of all ethnicities do not tip...then you can find statistics on the reasons why they do not tip. Maybe your restaurant could institute an instant 20 percent gratuity policy to every person's bill. And you had better hustle. And that food and service had better be perfect.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I 110 percent know where your coming from. I feel ya...but what i dont think you understand is. This is how i make my living, this is so i dont go hungry, become homeless, have clothes to wear. put gas in my tank, send my family birthday presents......why should I have to sacrifce and accept THIS one in 10 person tipping me badly just because hes not doing too well? it is hard to feel sympathy for someone who just screwed me and bascially took money out of my pocket. So what youre saying is when I get a dollar tip my reaction should be "awwww, this is probably all they could afford. Oh well, thats cool. I can be a can of soda"

no, what i'm trying to get you to do is find a gray area. you and lucky are talking like every person who tips you poorly does so because they're malicious and trying to screw you over. why would you ask a question if you already have your mind made up about the answer?? what i'm saying is, if you're tipped poorly, it's not necessaily some lower-class conspiracy to make you suffer. do some people tip poorly on purpose?? hell yes. do ALL tip poorly on purpose?? certainly not.

woogexx

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
my original question still stands.....if you tip poorly on purpose...WHY? If you tip what you think is right, but still horrible...WHY?

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
now dont get me wrong, I get my fair share of white trash that doesn't tip either. but yeaaaaa 90% Black, asians, hispanics....dont....why?
Just responding to the OP here.....

I've never been in the service industry where I rely on tips. However, plenty of my friends have been.

I too, think that it is rude to not tip. The people expecting a tip are making near nothing for being there and a large portion of their income is from tips. So, by not tipping them, you are cutting their income to shreds.

There are some awesome, awesome responses by black people to her video.

woogexx

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If you can state 90 percent of all ethnicities do not tip...then you can find statistics on the reasons why they do not tip. Maybe your restaurant could institute an instant 20 percent gratuity policy to every person's bill. And you had better hustle. And that food and service had better be perfect.

we have a policy on parties over 7 get 18percent automatically added.....half of those bills...are bitched and moaned at and demanded to be taken off. So the thinking of adding gratitudy to every bill. Would just be too time consuming because you would get every low-income person complaining.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
my original question still stands.....if you tip poorly on purpose...WHY? If you tip what you think is right, but still horrible...WHY?

several reasons

-not caring about the waitor, just being rude and inconsiderate
-not making enough to tip appropriately
-not knowing how to properly calculate a tip (i've heard 800 different percentages of what is required, i've heard 3 different percentages in this thread alone. ignorance isn't an excuse, but there's no class on 'how to tip'
-eating more than you can afford, if someone has 90 dollars, they may carelessly or purposefully eat 87 dollars with

what i'm trying to say is, there's no definite reason that each person falls under, it probably varies from person to person. you're speaking as if each poor person is out to screw you. some are, some aren't.

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do you think it could be a reverse-racism where minorities feel that they are owed, not that they owe? Just throwing that idea in there...

I'll go get my flame suit on now...

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Do you think it could be a reverse-racism where minorities feel that they are owed, not that they owe? Just throwing that idea in there...

good point. in SOME (NOT ALL) cases, if a minority ia as self-victimizing as some people apply, he/she might feel less inclined to tip someone who they believe is holding them down and *talks about them after work*

D

deleted15807

dude this is mainly because they offer to work for less money. thats how business works.

Uhh NO. That's NOT how it works.

Equal pay has been the law since 1963. But today, nearly 45 years later, women are still paid less than men—even with similar education, skills and experience.

It's Time for Working Women to Earn Equal Pay

Salaries in a workplace are kept SECRET for a reason. It's so no one knows and no one compares and no one COMPLAINS that's the reason. Businesses know they could get hit with lawsuits if everyone knew what everyone is being paid. Then you could actually compare your job to the guy sitting right next to you. And realize he is getting paid a lot more than you for doing the same damn thing.

I worked at one place where if you discussed salary with anyone in the morning and your manager found out. You were fired that same afternoon. THAT IS HOW BUSINESS WORKS!!

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Uhh NO. That's NOT how it works.

Equal pay has been the law since 1963. But today, nearly 45 years later, women are still paid less than men—even with similar education, skills and experience.

It's Time for Working Women to Earn Equal Pay

Salaries in a workplace are kept SECRET for a reason. It's so no one knows and no one compares and no one COMPLAINS that's the reason. Businesses know they could get hit with lawsuits if everyone knew what everyone is being paid. Then you could actually compare your job to the guy sitting right next to you. And realize he is getting paid a lot more than you for doing the same damn thing.

I worked at one place where if you discussed salary with anyone in the morning and your manager found out. You were fired that same afternoon. THAT IS HOW BUSINESS WORKS!!

it's hard to understand certain adversities if they don't apply to you. are you surprised that a MAN can't understand a system set to oppress WOMEN?? it's easy to say "just ask for more money, duh!". not so easy when your boss can't stop staring at your rack and is only hiring you because if he admits that he thinks women are inferior his position is jeopardized.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Yes, please zip it up well. I cant speak for people who dont tip. I have always tipped not 15% but 20% because that is a hard job no matter who is doing it. There are just some rude and ignorant people out here .Those two characteristics know no racial designation. No home training?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
we have a policy on parties over 7 get 18percent automatically added.....half of those bills...are bitched and moaned at and demanded to be taken off. So the thinking of adding gratitudy to every bill. Would just be too time consuming because you would get every low-income person complaining.

Now don't speculate that. If management is willing to stand by you and their food by adding 20 percent tip to every order, you have to really be up on it and what you do. That is good on everyone. That seems right to me.

Let's say that I am eating at a restaurant:

I ordered a Prime Rib (well seasoned and well done), mixed steamed vegetables, rice pilaf, a croissant and a large Sprite. And the meal came to $22.50. (Add 20 percent gratuity: $4.50). Which comes to $27.00. I had better get some immediate seating. Clean table. Clean seating. Courteous and attentive service with drinks. And the food had better be worth $27.00. Is it appetizing? Are the portions plenty and full? (Does it look and taste like a $27.00 meal?) Is my meal prepared with SAFE SERV standards? Is it hot? Is it cold?
Does the food layout look well composed?

Are your restroom facilities up to par? I have eaten at some really nice restaurants and have used the rest room and thought, "Did I hit a STARGATE somewhere and entered a third world country?"

I think that it is a question of management. If your management hires you and is backing you...20 percent gratuity on all orders, that can up everyone's game. You can't slouch on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.