Why don't women like to date men shorter than themselves?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This seems like it's a universal trend across all countries and cultures. Although generally men are taller than women, if the situation is reversed there is a general attitude of women not to date guys much shorter than they are.

I have noticed women have an extensive collection of heel heights to make sure they appear shorter than their man in public. Height more than penis size seems to be a major cause of men's insecurities with women.

Question for the ladies - Is this some natural order that is ingrained into women? How comfortable would you be dating a guy 2-3 inches shorter than yourself? If not why doesn't it feel right?

Snakebyte

Superior Member
Media
I am "only" 5'8" and never had any problems with larger women. Only thing you need is the ability to make her laugh, be smart and nice and there you go. Of course the looks play a part too.

diamond

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I stand at 5 10......There is something so sexy about a taller man, and oh yes i can wear my high heeled boots and killer heels if the guy is over 6 feet, hence all he needs to do is bend me over :eek:

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Snakebyte, how do you feel about it, though? As long as a guy is within a reasonable distance of my height (5'8"), it's not something I think about. The one time height was ever even mentioned around me, it was a 6' guy who said I was too tall for him. I wasn't interested any way, so I thought maybe he just came up with that to make it be about me. Either that or he decided if I was in heels he wouldn't be able to tower over me enough. :confused:

Any way, I sometimes think height is something guys worry about more than women do... not unlike penis size. :smile:

va_lk_yr_ie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I prefer my men to be taller than me, not an absolute must - but it feels better that way. I do relax more, become softer, more feminine in the presence of a guy taller/stronger/more muscular than myself.

Don't really have a rational explanation as to why - biology? feeling of security? subconscious need to have someone
stronger/bigger looking after you?

RideRocket

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Women get self-conscious (or pissed) because they start to think the shorter guy is only paying attention to their boobs (which he probably is, but that's not the point...).

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Question for the ladies - Is this some natural order that is ingrained into women? With me it may be hereditary. My mom is 5'4" but my dad is 6'2". I can remember my mom telling me she turned down a marriage proposal from a guy she had been seeing in college who was very nice, handsome, and intelligent . . . but just not tall enough. All of my male cousins are at least 6' tall on my dads side.

:redface: How comfortable would you be dating a guy 2-3 inches shorter than yourself? I would not be comfortable at all. I am 5'8" tall. My dating a shorter guy has never and probably will never happen; as I have always been self-concious about us looking like Mutt& Jeff. And before you ask: he could be hung like a horse, more handsome and charming than George Clooney, funnier than Robin Williams, and richer than Midas, it ain't hapenning!

If not why doesn't it feel right?
Tall men always make me feel safe and protected.
I have always been self-concious about my height.
I was constantly and mercilessly picked on because of my long, lanky build whilst growing up.
I like to wear heels and I would tower above a shorter man.
I like being picked up and carried to bed :flirt: :05: shorter men are not capable of this.

NOTE:
  • I clean up really well. When appropriately attired I have been told I appear quite striking. People will always notice me. Having them notice me with a shorter man is not something I desire.
  • I have had people ask me on at least two job interviews how tall I was. I got the positions, but it's not like I had to wear a uniform. That information was irrelevant.
  • I was the tallest one in my class until the 8th grade. There was only one girl taller than me and it was by only a half inch. They measured and weighed us in front of everyone one day towards the end of school year for the final issue of the school newspaper. It was the annual issue with tallest boy or girl, shortest, fattest, prettiest, etc. I was so glad not to be remembered as the tallest girl in the class of 1980 I almost wept with joy.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Well, I'm 154cm, Mr.B is 181cm.... according to theseguys we're the perfect couple:

Recent studies have shown that, in contemporary populations, tall men have greater reproductive success than shorter men. This appears to be due to their greater ability to attract mates. To our knowledge, no comparable results have yet been reported for women. This study used data from Britain's National Child Development Study to examine the life histories of a nationally representative group of women. Height was weakly but significantly related to reproductive success. The relationship was U-shaped, with deficits at the extremes of height. This pattern was largely due to poor health among extremely tall and extremely short women. However, the maximum reproductive success was found below the mean height for women. Thus, selection appears to be sexually disruptive in this population, favouring tall men and short women. Over evolutionary time, such a situation tends to maintain sexual dimorphism. Men do not use stature as a positive mate-choice criterion as women do. It is argued that there is good evolutionary reason for this, because men are orientated towards cues of fertility, and female height, being positively related to age of sexual maturity, is not such a cue.
Women's height, reproductive success and the evolution of sexual dimorphism in modern humans.
[emphasis mine not theirs]

flaming infinity

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Women get self-conscious (or pissed) because they start to think the shorter guy is only paying attention to their boobs (which he probably is, but that's not the point...).
If the guy is shorter, there's a good chance he'll look at her tits. If he's taller, he probably will too. It's just that he'll probably look down her shirt, too. :wink:

cofrader

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LOL, Pecker.
This is usually true, women like to have taller men. Because they like to use high heels, and may be have a strong men (to practice the stunt positions of the kamasutra?).
But sametimes when there is a very little guy with a huge personality he would chose a taller woman. I met some examples of this (long marriages).

LemacST

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I talked to my sister about this the other day, actually. She told me that if the guy was perfect to her in every other sense, she would date him and be very happy with him even if he was as short as her (she's 5'5). I'm lucky to be born with 6'1 or 2 height but at times I wish my package was a bit bigger, something you may have (I'm pressuming because of the nature of this site). The grass is greener on the other side I guess

LemacST

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh also she said it's because they feel "protected" by them, that may answer why they like it. She also made a point that if the guy is fit, it's much better and compensates I guess.

MagicTongue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I would love to find a guy around my height... But shorter than me would be bordering on him being a dwarf... I'm pretty short myself and I'm always surrounded by people taller than me... My neices will soon be taller than I...

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This seems like it's a universal trend across all countries and cultures.

Another near-universal is how "I like tall men" is announced like it's a rare accomplishment. Well no shit, lady, you and everybody else.

Incidentally, my favorite ex-gf just barely made five feet. Mad as a hatter, but that had nothing to do with her lack of altitude.

Lito

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I guess it works both ways, most of the time (so you can have exceptions.. etc). I like tall women, but certainly no taller than I am. Since I am 1.80m, it's not common, thank god.

Perhaps I'd date a woman a bit taller than I am... not sure. But I'd say my ideal woman would be in her 1.70m-1.75m.

There you go.

cofrader

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Quote: Originally Posted by RideRocket

Yes, since that only happens when guys are shorter. :rolleyes:
I think that the shorter man wont be able to see your cleverage(because of the point of view). But your boobs are big enough you may lost eye contact.:biggrin1:

The other day i saw a small man (quite famous, on my country) pretending to bite the boob of an actress on a party. He was just on that level. She was fooling too and didnt seam to care much.

WildHoney

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For me height is a BIGGIE. I don't get into short men.

I think it has something to do with the primal need to be looked after, or "taken" cave man style ( or maybe that is just my fantasy? :)

I am 5'10 ( 175 cms') and curvy, so when i am with short men they make me feel like a giant freakish woman leading my son along.

My hubby is 6'4 and 110 kilos of man meat, I just love it!!

I can wear heels and he can carry me to bed ( all at the same time haha)

x
Honey