Why don't women like to date men shorter than themselves?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
> Another near-universal is how "I like tall men" is announced like it's a >rare accomplishment. Well no shit, lady, you and everybody else.

and yet most like to pretend they're measurably less shallow when it comes to sexual attraction. I prefer very tall men. It doesn't make me any shallower than prefering dark hair and light eyes. It doesn't make me any shallower than prefering broad noses and wide shoulders. It doesn't make me any shallower than prefering pot-bellies and navel hair. Aren't there any physical traits YOU prefer? If so, you're either shallow or a hypocrite.

I'm 5'11" ~160lbs that used to be a decent height and slightly above average, kind of like (well maybe THAT is more than slightly above average). For practical purposes, I'm not sure I would want to be taller, in terms of flexibility, being able to move around without bumping my head, etc. My man is 6'5". Martial arts has made him very flexible. He does, however, bump his head at work.

With height anyways however, there seems to be height inflation going on. It's annoying. Probably the way women feel about any number of their physical attributes.

Whether this is primarialy sexual selection or an increasing number of people just shoveling down the calories durring puberty I can't say. I think the latter is more likely. There are physiological and population genetic limits. European heights have started to level off, while the dutch seem to keep getting taller (which is ironic given they started off the shortest in europe)
I agree. Kinda. I think it's the hormones the food industry is pumping into our children. My man got that big drinking Milk and eating lots of beef and cheese. No one in his family is taller than 6'2, except him.

Tall people have heath problems. The I'm not sure the new 6'5"+ 225lbs+ ideal is much better than the borderline pre-pubescent skinny ideal for women. & how protective can you be if you die of a heart attack ? Or get decapitated on the Space Mountian ride at Disneyworld. Who says this is the new ideal? Is it plastered on magazines? Are celebrities doing dangerous things to themselves in order to be 6'5" 225+ lbs.? I have never heard of this, and I though 6'3"+ and 210+ are MY ideals, I thought they were unique to me. Much like my love of the potbelly. As for health problems, every group has them. You tell me your group and I'll tell you about your health concerns. Anyway, I really do want to hear more about whose ideal this is. Maybe I can find a support group for women who love giants. Lord knows I could sometimes use some support.

The good news is that "I prefer tall men" is almost always followed with "They make me feel secure/protected/dominated".That is usually the woman's core-value If you learn how to make a woman feel the latter, she'll generally forget the former.
This is probably true for most, and sometimes for me. I like being tall. I like my broad shoulders. I like walking into a meeting wearing a nice suit and 4" heels and squeezing the hell out of some poor man's hand and absorbing all of the power in the room. I like feeling big and powerful out in the world. But when I am in the arms of my man, I want to be completely absorbed (which means he should be not only very tall, but big) and I want to let go. I want to know that as big and strong as I am, I am bigger and stronger with him. Don't get it twisted: My homegirl's man is 5'7", and I feel very safe and protected when I am with him. And while there is an element of security and protection I desire to feel when I am with a man, I'm not sure how much of that is related to height. Though I did used to think it was tied in, a recent conversation has me wondering. A friend seems to think I may be trying to replace my (6'4") father who died shortly before I decided I'd have no more boyfriends under 6'. To be honest I casually dated a few who were 5'10, and 5'11" because they were excellent in other aspects of appearance and of course had great personalities and could give good hugs. But I never got serious with them becasue they were uncomfortable with my shoes and height insecurities (like penis insecurities) bleed into other aspects of life.

My responses are in purple. :smile:

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dunno. I have dated women as short as 5'2 ( I am exactly 6'), and was in a long relationship with a woman that was 5'10" ( and edged over me when in stilletto heels.

I have to admit I like both ends of the spectrum. When dating a short girl, I love how I can wrap myself all the way around her. And when dating a tall chick, there is something really hot about a woman you can look straight in the eyes when standing toe to toe.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Napoleon complex really sucks, don't you think? So dull.

I have been bigger/taller than every woman I have ever been with - it's nice for cuddles, but I usually end up flat on my back, so the perspective changes for the better. Long backs are nice though.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Napoleon complex. When I hear that I always think about Joe Pesci in Goodfellas, that angry, little guy freaked me out. lol

lol LOL. Are you Laughing Out LOUD?! What do you think? MercurialBliss is a clown for your amusement? Does she amuse you, like an amusement park?

karmen

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Karmen,

Would you date a man that was 4'10"? Why not?

In theory I would date a man who was 3 inches shorter than I. It's not like the Old West and I'm look to him for physical protection.

Actually, there isn't a real reason not to date him IF we were compatible inside and outside the bedroom. I've actually noticed that the few really short guys that I've seen have really rocking bodies--so score one for him.

Hugs and Kisses,

Karmen

DaveGoodie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am about 5 ft 7 and I LOVE to date taller girls. This is because I am a size fetishist. I also like to date girls WAY shorter than me :)

karmen

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The shortest guy that I have ever dated was a naval ensign. We were both 23 years old. He was 5'3". He had a great personality and was quite funny and charming. He also was hung. It has been many years ago so I can only guestimate his size but I'd say approximately 8.5 - 9 inches long and quite thick.

Hugs and Kisses,

Karmen

Cardinal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Well, I think they probably do it for the "protective" thing people have been talking about. And there just aren't many images in the world of tall women with shorter men, though it definitely happens, but we think it looks funny or something. Clearly, most of the women I have dated have been taller than me and I was definitely secretly more hung up about it than they ever were!

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I have a friend who is attractive, smart, has a good job, wicked sense of humour and is an all-around good time. She's also about 2" taller than me, which would put her around 6' 3".

And I'm sure she and women of her stature everywhere are asking... Why don't men like to date women taller than themselves?

beachbumamy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This topic seems to come up every once in a while with me since I am 5'11. I wouldn't say that I have anything against dating a shorter guy but the big thing comes down to his confidence level. Like other have said, guys seem to have the bigger issue with it than we do. I think that's why a lot of women won't do it because they get tired of the guy "feeling" insecure. The majority of the guys I have dated have been taller and that is a result of their confidence level and that is one thing that attracted me to them.