Why God why...

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why God why is my boiler and thermostat control so fucking impossible to operate. It's sunny and hot here in the UK (for once) and I cannot turn off the good damn heating. I have three booklets of instructions (36 pages, 28 pages and 16 pages respectively) and all of them are proving to be useless. It's almost 30-fucking-°C inside the house and I am quite sure I am slowly melting.

Why does this stuff have to be so complicated. When did instructions become biblical in proportions?

JF

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If all else fails, start pulling fuses or tripping breakers until your heating goes off. If your lights & TV go off too, you've gone too far - switch those back on again.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
First, Shut off the power via the switch on the furnace.

Did you pull off the thermostat and undo the wiring to it?
What kind is it? Programmable, or old analog style with the little mercury switch?

Pull the thermostat off the wall, and separate the wires (Noting where they go on the thermostat.
Keep the wires from touching. Power the furnace on. If it continues to run, it's most likely a bad relay on the control board thats stuck, which may require replacement.

If it turns on momentarily, but then shuts off after a few mins without the thermostat hooked up - you probably need a new thermostat.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You could always get a man in. Failing that, borrow the kid next door. :biggrin1:

It's weird that a couple of weeks ago, we had frost and now it's 25C. I ain't complaining though, cos I love the heat.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I solved the problem, as it's underfloor heating it takes quite a while to fully power down. We had in fact not fully turned the system off, only put it on "freeze safe" mode which powers off the heating but will still pump heat through the pipes to keep them clear of freezing. In short I hate over complicated utilities.

Still slowly melting, but heating has since subsided.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What's this British obsession with gas boilers?

Take a piece of paper. Cost the gas. Cost the annual service contract for safety inspection and breakdown cover. Add the phenomenal price of a boiler and note that the only ones now legal are the condensing boilers that have a short life and go wrong a lot. And add the inconvenience of being in for safety inspection, repairs, replacement. Then compare the cost of getting equivalent hot water and heat from electric. I think you will find that electric is substantially cheaper - but everyone somehow believes gas is cheaper.

D_Budd_Hert

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Maybe U should post it in the Help Threads ? Maybe Jaime or any other Mod can give U some advice ? ......or does this mean we shouldnt ask U for or read Ur advice in the Help Threads ? Hmmmmmmm ? Me Thinks ................

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just set bowls of ice out everywhere.

Please note that this may not be the most cost, energy, or time efficient solution. lol