Why hasn't John Galliano been given a kicking here?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_crackoff, Mar 3, 2011.

1. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Yet Charlie Sheen has?

Film of John Galliano’s racist rant in bar | The Sun |News

Personally, I think he was a drunk being provoked by people clearly enjoying making a film of him (which is surely illegal in a private place - even in France).

All his bile is typical fashionista, or is it facistista schtick. He's a misanthrope who only loves beautiful, stylish people (in his eyes) - wishing ALL of us dead isn't a crime apparently!

But then again, I support all freedom of expression, & free speech - & the right to retaliate. Incautious behaviour due to inebriation, deserves a good slap, but not losing your job over. Saying things when you're pissed is not a guide to how one comports oneself in every day life -several instances of bigotry are.

I've even seen a pissed senior manager swing (& miss -just) at a top FTSE100 CEO - & not get sacked, despite us having to then hold him down for 10 minutes!

But you shag one sheep and...

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I was wondering why it has not been brought up also. I did not post it because the story made me sick to my stomach and I just did not feel like starting the thread and grinding my teeth. I'm happy to throw my two cents worth in...
    The man is a pig and I had absolutely no respect for him prior to this and now he means less than nothing to me. Each time anti semitism comes up I'm as shocked as I was growing up.
    You can take the boy away from the wrong side of the tracks but I guess you can't wash away white trash ignorance by wearing haute couture and drinking fine champagne.
    I've said it many times; you can't buy, sell or special order class, manners and taste.

But seriously... what he said was not worth loosing his job over. I hope he goes to prison.

3. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why in the world do you have to continually conflate all manner of things in order to serve some indecipherable agenda? Yes, there's crazy everywhere.

But for gods' sake, quit taking every opportunity to impede on the observations/comments/concerns of others by reminding us all, ONCE AGAIN, AND FOR ALL TIMES, that EVERYONE is capable of being a shit, as well as a saint. Yes, everyone is. And a snail COULD blithely navigate Occam's Razor 459 times a day in every household in the known universe.

Apparently your agenda is to moot every critical point ever made.

Why bring Charlie Sheen into this? FFS. I posted a thread and DID NOT cast stones. Sheen is a train wreck. Defend him, in your own special manner of vicarious hysteria, if you must.

But FFS, quit trying trying to moot the world with your sarcasm remoulade.

Cheers

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

5. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Wow, who let that horrible person get so successful? I don't care how provoked or drunk I am, nothing could make me say those kinds of things!

6. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

WTF are you on? The world's biggest ego trip:eek:? WTF has what I posted got to do with your thread? It was the absence of a JG thread I was commenting on.

NY calm down eh? I grew up with racist stuff aimed at my people, so socially acceptable, it was daily ON TV. But there's a massive difference between true hate & cultural laziness. I don't want anyone to be scared of what they might thoughtlessly say - other than them getting a slap.

It's not like he's preaching or organizing the masses! He's just a nasty drunken twat.

In the past 2 days in my area, 4 kids have been mugged at knifepoint by gangs, & a girl gangraped by them & glassed.

No fucking headlines for them (and no arrests) - And I know which one's worse. Sticks & stones - where the hell has perspective gone these days?

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

crackoff you are kidding me right? Me bitch slapping Kathy Lee Gifford's hairdresser was being a drunken twat...
    This is hate speech ...
    "I love Hitler," the mustachioed, black-clad British designer slurred at his fellow diners at the Paris cafe La Perle. "People like you would be dead today. Your mothers, your forefathers would be f**ing gassed and dead."
    Sorry if I'm taking this too personally but my relatives were gassed by Hitler.
    Read more: John Galliano anti-Semitic rant caught on video; Slurs on camera 'I love Hitler'
    I'm sorry you live in a bad neighborhood but that's not the issue here. If you want to talk about it some more start another thread.

8. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I saw the video a few days ago. This guy is a piece of shit. Plain and simple.

9. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

My rellies were bombed & fought him, & slaughtered in their millions years before - I do understand your point entirely, and your sensitivity - but he was talking to (at that time) laughing Caucasian Italians. His boss (who has sacked him) is a Sephardi - & they got on famously for 15 years. I'm pretty sure that he hates everyone outside of fashion equally - but he has the menace of an ant.

Compared to Gadaffi he's a gnat.

The point is - if making horrendous comments one night when you're drunk gets this much censure & reaction - there wouldn't be much more if you were actively preaching & inciting hate, or creating your own militia.

160 years ago, they still executed people for petty theft, so most robbers didn't give a stuff about then killing any witnesses - what more could happen to them? You have to have some sort of sliding scale - though once again I do understand your sensitivity, & would happily hold Galliano for you while you meted out some justice:wink:, because he does deserve a good slap.

10. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mr. Galliano's Circus?

He's obviously a jumped-up twat, with a bad hate problem. But...it still seems a shame to see someone destroy their own career and become an international pariah. :redface:

Hopefully he's got enough common sense to do some soul-searching (possibly?), and come out of it a better person, and maybe start again?

#10 Joll, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  11. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Galliano's career is destroyed. he'll never work in the industry again. He's toast.

I'll not be accused of defending him (because his drunken rants were indefensible), but you gotta notice that the SCOTUS gave Westboro Baptist Church a pass for extreme incitement of hate speech on the same week that probable criminal indictments are brought against a couturier for a slurry, drunken rant in a bar

I'm on record as admiring all things Parisien (and frequently deploring Americanisms) but in this one case, I prefer my own citizenship and its legal precedent. True freedom of speech means tolerance (but not acceptance) of extremes: everyone gets to be as big an asshole as they'd like, and social disapprobation is quite enough. Legal vituperation is a slippery slope toward censorship, which I find repulsive conceptually, no matter how vile the sentiment originally expressed.

12. superbot

Gold Member

Of course he'll work again.His comments were crass and offensive,but the guy was clearly so far gone as to not know wether it was Christmas or Easter.The important thing is that he apologized and retracted what he said,not to have done so would have meant an entirely different arguement.I can't help wondering wether Dior's reaction was one of hyper-sensitivity as it is well known that Christian Dior himself worked as a Paris courturier during the German occupation,dressing the wives of Nazi officers as well as French collaborators.One wonders wether Miss Portman took that into consideration when signing her 'nice little earner' of a contract avec Dior inc?!...Hey ho, such is the human condition!

13. midlifebear

Gold Member

I thought this was about that cheap brand of California jug wine.

14. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    Galliano hasn't been given a kicking here because even though he may have an over inflated opinion of himself he doesn't track much here in the states. Regardless of whether he was drunk or not, what he said is inexcusable.

15. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, it's about an Italian liqueur.

Galliano

16. leapyear

leapyear Member

17. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Sorry to contradict most of the posters who say he's finished.
    Sure what he said was inexcusable just like the rant that Gibson indulged in was inexcusable..but no he's not finished.

He'll be picked up by a different label who have less scruples than Dior.
    Why?
    Because he's a "name" and he's recognized talent and most importantly he's a cash cow regardless of how offensive he is.

18. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Maybe Target or H&M but I don't see a top fashion house taking a chance on the negative publicity he would bring with him.

19. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Not a name I had heard of before now. And after this, not one I'll be looking for in the future either :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted