Why is BRETT FAVRE Destroying His Own Legacy?

MichiganRico

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Rumor turned into reality today with Brett Favre signing with the Minnesota Vikings. Why would any QB with the brilliant stats and fanatic fanbase he racked up in Green Bay "retire," then equivocate and come out of retirement and play a year for the Jets, and then decide to play for one of the Packers' archrivals, the Vikings? It just doesn't make sense to me that he didn't stay retired in 2008 (when he was still near the top of his game) and enjoy the fame and riches he earned during his outstanding NFL career. (During his 16 years with the Packers, he led them to umpteen division championships, played in a slew of NFC championship games and went to the Super Bowl twice, winning once. What's left undone?)

Why would anyone risk tampering with this legacy for just another season or two of play? I don't get it.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Why would anyone risk tampering with this legacy for just another season or two of play? I don't get it.
Or risk major injury, for that matter. I agree with hungthickone... must be ego. Football is the guy's identity, after all.

Or he found himself in a financial hole like many other people and decided he had to go back to work.

It's interesting to see how many retired celebs go back to work as soon as their kids reach college age.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
frankly, i am so sick of Brett Favre and his saga that i could care less anymore.

great QB...i could, however care less about his bizarre last few offseasons.

greatdickismydrug

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've heard rumor that alcohol has pickled his brain. Rumor sure...but as good an explanation as any for the stupidity. He's not broke.

I agree he is risking injury. Career ending injury and it's gonna be ugly if/when it happens.

It's very sad the way he is leaving the sport. I'm no Packer's fan but him signing with the Vikings was the last straw for me. I could understand him wanting to hang on as long as possible but after all the years with the Packers he signs with the Vikings?!

Perhaps, he thinks it will all end happily a la Jerry Rice?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well he used to be an alcoholic but was treated years ago...

even then, someone making 12 million a year does not go broke from drinking.

if he drank three bottles of Krug champagne a day, it would still be only 750,000 a year.

plus, the guy lives in nowheresville Mississippi...cost of living down there is second lowest in the nation.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I heard a rumor around the water cooler that it was a very lucrative short term contract. He would have been crazy to turn down that kind of money.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I heard a rumor around the water cooler that it was a very lucrative short term contract. He would have been crazy to turn down that kind of money.

true, but don't forget, he has been making that lucrative money for a long time...most recently, last season.

he has been one of the top QBs by pay since around 1995.

in 97 he signed a 7 year 42 million dollar deal. in 2001, they voided the last two years of that deal and gave him a new 10 year 100 million dollar deal which was paid out over his 7 years in Green Bay.

he left that early to retire in 2008, then the Jets paid him 12 million for the year.
all told he has earned 154 million dollars roughly through the last 12 years, pre-tax...this does not include endorsements.

he is more than fine financially

P.s. the new contract is roughly 2 years 25 million...not much difference then his last salary bases.

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Or he found himself in a financial hole like many other people and decided he had to go back to work.

It's interesting to see how many retired celebs go back to work as soon as their kids reach college age.
That's what I figured happend as well. Plus some couples get along better when one of them is on the road or working outside the home.

My grandparents had been married for over 50 years when my grandfather retired from the water company. He hadn't been home 6 months when I heard her telling one of her sisters, she had no idea she had married such a contrary man, until he was home everyday. :biggrin1: Apparently he had told her she was hanging the clothes on the line wrong. :tongue::rolleyes:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
also, it is important to note that Favre has huge contracts for autographing and paraphenilia agreements...

also, Favre, like many athletes in celebs/personalities, is sought after for
Corporate Appearances, Speaking engagements & Autograph Signings etc...

Favre receives nearly $100,000 per each appearance.

who also owns a huge steakhouse in Green Bay.

he also makes nearly 7 million a year in endorsements. (Wrangler Jeans, Prilosec, Sensodyne)

he is fine, financially.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

it's not money...he has tons of it.

he still wants to play.

he still has the ability to play. Simple as that.

I think he has been incredibly annoying in the way he has behaved the past 3 years, but the guy can still flat out play better than 95% of the QB's in the league, and he is a quantum leap over any QB the Vikings had.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
If that's the reason, greed has overtaken any other sensibility he may have. Again, why risk serious injury if you've already done it all and have more coin in the bank than you know what to do with?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If that's the reason, greed has overtaken any other sensibility he may have. Again, why risk serious injury if you've already done it all and have more coin in the bank than you know what to do with?

it isn't the only reason...the guy wants to play ball.

he has been playing organized football for 33 years since he was 7 years old...he does not want to give it up.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Even if you have tons of money, you still want more...believe me.

yes, you may, but if you love something and you can still do it, and you already have a fortune, playing is more important than the money. the money is an added bonus.