Why is BRETT FAVRE Destroying His Own Legacy?

backa

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I believe he thinks he can still do it; I guess we'll see. Age catches up suddenly at skilled positions in football. Does anyone know if this contract is all guaranteed money? I'm assuming it is.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I believe he thinks he can still do it; I guess we'll see. Age catches up suddenly at skilled positions in football. Does anyone know if this contract is all guaranteed money? I'm assuming it is.

The Vikings will pay Favre $12 million this year and $13 million next season, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The contract does not contain performance bonuses.
Because Favre is a vested veteran, the $12 million is guaranteed for this season if he is on the opening day roster. This also applies to the $13 million 2010 deal. This year, $6 million is guaranteed for skill and injury, meaning that if he is bad during the next few weeks, the Vikings can't get out for less than $6 million.
The 2009 salary payments are deferred: $4 million over the season, $4 million in March and $4 million in 2011.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Rumor turned into reality today with Brett Favre signing with the Minnesota Vikings. Why would any QB with the brilliant stats and fanatic fanbase he racked up in Green Bay "retire," then equivocate and come out of retirement and play a year for the Jets, and then decide to play for one of the Packers' archrivals, the Vikings? It just doesn't make sense to me that he didn't stay retired in 2008 (when he was still near the top of his game) and enjoy the fame and riches he earned during his outstanding NFL career. (During his 16 years with the Packers, he led them to umpteen division championships, played in a slew of NFC championship games and went to the Super Bowl twice, winning once. What's left undone?)

Why would anyone risk tampering with this legacy for just another season or two of play? I don't get it.

Maybehaps he wants to outdo Michael Jordon for a season or two of futility and then star in a movie with Bugs Bunny.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybehaps he wants to outdo Michael Jordon for a season or two of futility and then star in a movie with Bugs Bunny.

bah humbug...MJ was still close to being in his prime when he starred in Space Jam (1996) :biggrin1:

greatdickismydrug

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't think anyone would care or be talking about this if we didn't have to endure the past few years of tear-filled "This is my last game, season, etc."
I think this is the reason why most fans are annoyed. It's gotten old.

It seemed out of character from the Brett Favre we thought we knew.
I don't know, maybe it just me but, I thought of him as a tough throw-back to the days I miss in sports. But, it's a different world now isn't it? I'm old enough to remember when an athlete spent an entire career with one franchise. It actually meant something to be a fan back in the day...I miss those days. Alas, never to be again. Not with the money to be made today.

No one is begrudging him the opportunity to rake in some more cash or extend his career....just spare us the years of melodramatics!

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't think anyone would care or be talking about this if we didn't have to endure the past few years of tear-filled "This is my last game, season, etc."
I think this is the reason why most fans are annoyed. It's gotten old.

It seemed out of character from the Brett Favre we thought we knew.
I don't know, maybe it just me but, I thought of him as a tough throw-back to the days I miss in sports. But, it's a different world now isn't it? I'm old enough to remember when an athlete spent an entire career with one franchise. It actually meant something to be a fan back in the day...I miss those days. Alas, never to be again. Not with the money to be made today.

No one is begrudging him the opportunity to rake in some more cash or extend his career....just spare us the years of melodramatics!

i couldn't agree with you more...extremely well said.

Up until 2007, i had nothing but respect for the guy....now, i find him to be a total annoyance...

many former admirers are really annoyed with him

personally, i think it is just lame that he did all this to deliberately miss training camp with the Vikings.

as one of the Green Bay sportswriters wrote this morning about Favre landing with one of the Packers' arch rivals "The Ego Has Landed"

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lol some of you guys don't watch football. It has more to do with ego than anything else. He has plenty of money. Bottom line is Green Bay scorned him, and they wouldn't allow him to stay in the division. So he went to the Jets for a year. He only bullshitted about going there because he didn't want to be in training camp. He then HAD to retire to be able to get released by the Jets, if he didn't, and they released him, they would have owed the Packers something absurd like a couple first round draft picks or something like that. The Packers did not want him to land in Minnesota.

Therefore, he HAD to retire to break free of the contract and deal the Jets signed with Green Bay. He wanted to be in Minnesota all along, he just invested a year of his career somewhere else just to land back there. Another reason for his "retirements" is, as stated above, because he didn't want to be in training camp. A veteran player of his status doesn't need to be sitting in non air conditioned dorms with a bunch of rookies. Some of us knew all along he would end up signing with the Vikings, just as soon as camp ended. I'm sure the Vikings knew that too.

The Vikings for the last few years have been a QB away from being a real threat. They have the best running back in the league, not to mention that he may end his career as one of the best ever bar none. They have a great defense and some good wrs. Throw Favre in there and they are a problem now, assuming his arm and health stay intact.

He wants to thrash Green Bay, his ego can't let it go. He took a year of his life in NY just to get the chance to do it.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Because he doesn't give a rats ass about his legacy or what people think of him. He's happy chucking up lame ducks in key situations and isn't about to change now.

He sure is losing lustre compared with someone like, say, Marino, who chose to turn in his cleats rather than keep chasing a title that wasn't forthcoming.

mobyinnj

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
can you say....."can't stand my bitch" he must really have a nagging wife and he wants to get the hell out of the house.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I can't wait to see how he does.

As for running out of money, he still makes plenty away from the field. He's still a huge name, at least in fb.

I have a hunch that he might do alright. Not Steve Cristie comeback alright, but you don't lose your skill overnight. Sometimes you just need a break to realize how much you love a sport.

If he wipes Greenbay off the field, it will prove that he's still got it.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, his baseball career.

I was wondering why they didn't animated MJ in the movie. He's a block of wood.

no, he was done with baseball by then.

he retired from the NBA in October 93, then messed around with baseball in 1994, and came back to the NBA in March 95.

he then won three straight championships 96, 97, 98

led the league in scoring in all three of those years, he won the NBA Finals MVP in those three years, and won the NBA MVP award twice in that same period.

not too shabby for his "baseball career"

frankly, he still could have played further and won more if they hadn't broken up the Bulls in 1998 (Phil Jackson's contract expired, Rodman was traded, Pippen was traded) and the NBA lockout hadn't occurred. considering he came back even with debilitating injuries he was still able to play at a high level on a team with no talent after retiring for three years

TroMag

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ybut the guy can still flat out play better than 95% of the QB's in the league
I think that's an overstatement, but point taken - he is still easily starter quality in the league.
Again, why risk serious injury if you've already done it all and have more coin in the bank than you know what to do with?
How many QB's have suffered injuries that ruin their life after football? Not many. Last I checked, Theisman, Aikman, Young are all doing fine. So I don't think this is a big risk.
He wants to thrash Green Bay, his ego can't let it go. He took a year of his life in NY just to get the chance to do it.
Skull, that's an interesting theory. Was he trying to land on an NFC North team when his time with the Packers was ending?

Not sure if I'm going to root for or against him when GB plays Minn, but I'll definitely be watching those two games.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think that's an overstatement, but point taken - he is still easily starter quality in the league.

How many QB's have suffered injuries that ruin their life after football? Not many. Last I checked, Theisman, Aikman, Young are all doing fine. So I don't think this is a big risk.

Skull, that's an interesting theory. Was he trying to land on an NFC North team when his time with the Packers was ending?

Not sure if I'm going to root for or against him when GB plays Minn, but I'll definitely be watching those two games.

He wanted to go to Minnesota straight from the Packers but they wanted to trade him out of the division because they didn't want to see him in an opposing jersey. He even said that it bothered him that they didn't want him but they also didn't want to play against him so they shipped his ass to the meadowlands.

By the way those other guys you mentioned ended their careers precisely because of injury. Theisman with his broken leg, Young and Aikman with their concussions. They could also still be suffering from the effects of those concussions, you just wouldn't know unless you asked them or they came out about it. Brain injury is a sensitive subject in football.

TroMag

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
By the way those other guys you mentioned ended their careers precisely because of injury. Theisman with his broken leg, Young and Aikman with their concussions. They could also still be suffering from the effects of those concussions, you just wouldn't know unless you asked them or they came out about it. Brain injury is a sensitive subject in football.
Right, but Favre is facing retirement or playing another 1-2 years. So it doesn't matter if he has an injury that forces him out of the game b/c if he retired, he'd be out of the game anyway. What matters is if he has an injury that causes him serious problems after his football career.

Thus my point about Theisman, Young and Aikman. You don't think I randomly picked those names, do you? They all had career ending injuries, but they all seem to be functioning just fine post-retirement. Though I take your point on the subtle effects concussions might be causing Aikman and Young that we don't see when they are on camera.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

i don't think it is an overstatement at all.

there 121 QBs currently on the active rosters of the 32 NFL teams.

that means that i believe there are only 6 QBs in the league who i would say can play flat out better than he can. (and that is now, not in his prime)

so, name 6 QB's who even now, you'd rather have then Favre (this year's Favre, not the great Favre of old).

I can name only these QBs who i'd take ahead of him, even now

Phillip Rivers
Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Matt Ryan
Ben Roethlisberger

borderline:
Donovan McNabb
Aaron Rodgers
Jay Cutler

and, with the exception of Brady, Favre has done more with less weapons around him than anyone.

how do you know? Do you know why Aikman and Young left the game? Too many concussions for YOung (7), too many concussions (10), & a chronic back for Aikman

Aikman suffered 10 "official" concussions in his career. Official is only when they cart you off the field...they don;t consider when you are hazy, or woozy, an "official" concussion . a study of 2,500 retired NFL players found that those who had at least three concussions during their careers had triple the risk of clinical depression as those with none.

Aikman has a chronic back condition. he is in constant pain and has had multiple back surgeries.

Young was advised to stop playing because of the potential damage he had already received.

that sounds pretty severe in the long term.

Dan Marino? Have you ever seen him walk? the dude's knees are destroyed...he has had *26* knee surgeries...

there are too many to name.

I once encountered Terry Bradshaw, walking through the airport in New York on his way to his commentary duties for a Giants game...(this was around 1995) the guy was not that tall, but he was huge, and the guy could barely walk without a noticebly bad limp and he was about 47 at the time.

yes, the Packers were so concerned about this that they inserted clauses into the contract for the trade with the Jets stating that if Favre was ever traded to the Minnesota Vikings, the Jets would owe the Packers *3* 1st Round Draft Picks.

it's not a theory...it was a fact that the Packers did not want him going to their arch rivals in the division

well, i'll root for Green Bay, because i think he has treated its fans horribly. they friggin worshipped the guy...treated him like a king...and he goes to play for their arch-rival. that is purely evil...all because he wanted to get even with the General Manager Ted Thompson. he was utterly worshipped by the fans. they adored him...this is a slap in the face to them...no matter how angry you might be at the GM, why would you take it out on the fans who supported you through all his screwups, problems, drug abuse alcoholism, etc...they were there for him no matter what...

he literally has stabbed them in the back, all because his ego was hurt by the GM.

i still cannot believe he is with the Vikings of all teams. If i was a Packer fan i would be furious (as most are, since i have been reading the GB fan sites and newspapers) they are in shock.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thus my point about Theisman, Young and Aikman. You don't think I randomly picked those names, do you? They all had career ending injuries, but they all seem to be functioning just fine post-retirement.

have you heard this Theismann quote?

"There are times when I don't want to get out of bed. I am scared to death that one sneeze, or moving the wrong way, would make me so debilitated that I wouldn’t be able to do anything again."