Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Decided I wanted to post in the thread "what are you watching", so i did a search using these words...nothing on the first three pages of search results. I tried a different combination of these words...nothing. I knew it was in the etc etc forum and had to manually scan about five pages before i could find the last post.

I have been criticised in the past for starting a thread with a similar theme to a pre existing thread, and i constantly see members waving their finger at others and saying, "don't you know how to use the search function?" What are we doing wrong? Please educate us morons how to use the LPSG search engine.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My guess would be that the problem is that the first three words were ignored, so the only one actually being searched for was the word "watching".

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Decided I wanted to post in the thread "what are you watching", so i did a search using these words...nothing on the first three pages of search results. I tried a different combination of these words...nothing. I knew it was in the etc etc forum and had to manually scan about five pages before i could find the last post.

I have been criticised in the past for starting a thread with a similar theme to a pre existing thread, and i constantly see members waving their finger at others and saying, "don't you know how to use the search function?" What are we doing wrong? Please educate us morons how to use the LPSG search engine.

You need to be very specific when making searches.

I hit the search key then entered the key word "watching" My first try was in 'search entire post" 400 pages and 10,000 selections.:eek:

Then I did it again with "titles only" Lots less pages, 8 of them with less than 200 total.
First one up was
http://www.lpsg.org/260409-what-are-you-watching.html

Narrow it down by selecting a forum from the list on the right.

Narrow it down by ticking "threads" in the box marked Show Results as this will give you less to go through than ticking the word "posts"

Search engine works fine.

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Less to do with the search, more to do with how you do it... Here's my attempt:

http://www.lpsg.org/search.php?searchid=15605293

Thanks Acontium, but it seems you have greater powers with regard to the search function than i do as a member. Here is my most recent search after reading your post. Can you explain what i did wrong in the first place. That is "more to do with how you do it"

ps. would you please edit the title of my thread and delete one of the "is's" to make it more sensible.

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Walla, you are searching the entire site, narrow search to the forum you want and get less results. You can also specify thread titles only as suggested above

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thanks acontium, hoss and srdude007 for your advice on achieving more accurate search results, but should it really be that complicated? I typed in the exact wording of the thread i was looking for. Why have a quick search function? Just have the advanced search where you have to fill in all the fields.

The other thing that really annoys me is that so many members have nothing better to do than criticise others that post threads that have already been put up before. If you think that it has been discussed before then there is no need to comment.

I think it would be a great improvement to this site if the search engine was improved.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media

#firstworldproblems

Maybe you could get an answer here:
White Whine - A Collection of First-World Problems

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Thanks acontium, hoss and srdude007 for your advice on achieving more accurate search results, but should it really be that complicated? I typed in the exact wording of the thread i was looking for. Why have a quick search function? Just have the advanced search where you have to fill in all the fields.

The other thing that really annoys me is that so many members have nothing better to do than criticise others that post threads that have already been put up before. If you think that it has been discussed before then there is no need to comment.

I think it would be a great improvement to this site if the search engine was improved.

Quick search works well for rarer search words. For example "Albertson" works fine in there whether looking for threads or posts. A word like "watching" won't do as well there and so the advanced comes in handy.

Regarding looking to old threads and posting in them instead of being criticized for making a new thread, it works in reverse too. I recently made a post in an older Netflix thread and was criticized for not making a new thread since Netflix has changed since it first began. Since I wasn't saying anything about how their service runs,or price, only stating an interest in it, that I was considering it, I couldn't see why the snotty potshot. So you can get it from either side whether you make a new thread or place in an old thread it isn't a bannable offense and even being told off for it isn't a reason for a member to be warned.

Your last part about it would be a "great improvement" if the "search engine was improved" has already been thrown aside since it's already been shown the search engine function works quite well.

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Quick search works well for rarer search words. For example "Albertson" works fine in there whether looking for threads or posts. A word like "watching" won't do as well there and so the advanced comes in handy.

Regarding looking to old threads and posting in them instead of being criticized for making a new thread, it works in reverse too. I recently made a post in an older Netflix thread and was criticized for not making a new thread since Netflix has changed since it first began. Since I wasn't saying anything about how their service runs,or price, only stating an interest in it, that I was considering it, I couldn't see why the snotty potshot. So you can get it from either side whether you make a new thread or place in an old thread it isn't a bannable offense and even being told off for it isn't a reason for a member to be warned.

Your last part about it would be a "great improvement" if the "search engine was improved" has already been thrown aside since it's already been shown the search engine function works quite well.

G'day Hoss, yes i have seen the reverse situation when members have been criticised for resurecting an old thread. Accusations of grave digging and all that. It seems some people just can't help themselves, and have to be critical and make a comment of some kind. My adviced to those people is, contribute to the topic.

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
As Hoss has said, quick search is brilliant for obscure words and smaller sites, but when looking for a commonly used term on a site as big as this, it is beyond pointless.

Almost every search out there, including google, will ignore certain words that are simply so common as to serve no purpose in search results. So in your case, your quick search is narrowed to a single word "Watching" which itself is very common (especially on a site dedicated to big dicks!)

This is the list of words I ignore when writing a search function for one of my sites: Online SEO Guide: Google Stop Words - A Comprehensive List Of Words Google Ignores

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As Hoss has said, quick search is brilliant for obscure words and smaller sites, but when looking for a commonly used term on a site as big as this, it is beyond pointless.

Almost every search out there, including google, will ignore certain words that are simply so common as to serve no purpose in search results. So in your case, your quick search is narrowed to a single word "Watching" which itself is very common (especially on a site dedicated to big dicks!)

This is the list of words I ignore when writing a search function for one of my sites: Online SEO Guide: Google Stop Words - A Comprehensive List Of Words Google Ignores

So what is the purpose of having a quick search? Basically, you have said that it is useless, so why include it? Just get those wanting to do a search to fill in all the fields for an advanced search. When i was searching, i knew the exact wording of the thread i was looking for and typed it in. I didn't even consider that i needed to do an advanced search, because i knew the exact wording of the thread for which i was looking.

Just giving some feedback on how this site might be improved and venting some frustration.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
you used to be provocative and mildly interesting...now you are totally boring and irrelevant.

In other words, you're perfectly happy to sit by and watch me antagonize everybody else, but when I turn my attention your way, you get butthurt and start slinging labels.

If you are unable to stop taking yourself so seriously, you could at least stop your ignorance-based whining.

If you aren't lying about my being boring and irrelevant, I have the last word. I win!

It's cause of the looming Carbon Tax..oops (price). The search engine has been downgraded..ummm upgraded, to a solar powered engine. It slows down when darkness arrives or it's a cloudy day. Geeeze, I thought every body knew that.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
So what is the purpose of having a quick search? Basically, you have said that it is useless, so why include it? Just get those wanting to do a search to fill in all the fields for an advanced search. When i was searching, i knew the exact wording of the thread i was looking for and typed it in. I didn't even consider that i needed to do an advanced search, because i knew the exact wording of the thread for which i was looking.

Just giving some feedback on how this site might be improved and venting some frustration.
She explained it for you.

Use it for obscure words, Albertson, Payola, Stampede, Leviathan......those kinds of words. It gives a quick search, if you need more you can do the advanced and narrow it down as exactly as possible. An exact word, thread titles only or search for wherever it might appear, a specific section of the board, show the entire thread it is in or just the specific post where the word appears.
Some words need a more exact search... Ruler, Circumcision, Anal, Orgasm, Penis, Virgin.....

I'm glad there is a search engine and it can be used and remember nothing is perfect but as the song said Just be thankful for what you got. I've been on sites with no search function.