Why is Obama best for dealing with economy?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by faceking, Oct 6, 2008.

?

Why is Obama best for dealing with economy?

1. Because it's mostly McCain/GOP's fault.

21.9%
  2. Obama track record on financial matters.

6.3%
  3. Democrats are better at handling economic crisis.

31.3%
  4. The lesser of two evils.

31.3%
  5. Obama can inspire people and the markets with leadership speak.

25.0%
  6. Other

18.8%
  1. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Curious why he's rating well to be best for the economy, yet when I ask ppl, noone can answer. Same with why not (other than experience). Odd.

2. pym

pym New Member

Simple, he'll surround himself with true intellectuals that are best qualified to advise on the mess he inherited from the REPUBLICAN administration. Something that mr.bush has steadfastly refused to do. When you have good people to work with, you get better results.

3. D_Pubert Stabbingpain

D_Pubert Stabbingpain Account Disabled

Well, let's see, just looking at last week. I don't think it is as much about how much he personally knows or understands the economy (although he certainly knows more than McCain and McCain admits that), as you would be hard pressed to find *anyone* today that has a clue what has happened in the last 10 days or so but, Obama demonstrates much greater leadership by willing to admit that he needs to bring in economic advisors and get the ball rolling in an attempt to find a way to solve economic crises.

McCain? All he wants to do is exercise his trigger finger by firing people he has no clue about and he wants to use every possible world event as his personal political stage *while* often in the exact same sentence, out of the other side of his (forked-tongue) mouth, saying he is for the country and not politics! [not using the confused icon here because that is typical McCain].

McCain knows he has lost the election and is now demonstrating the desperate behavior that I personally hope will get him completely drummed out of the state of Arizona as well. His political career is over and he knows it.

His entire team knows "It's the Economy, Stupid!," and the only thing that will push that aside is another attack on America. In the next 4 weeks you will see exactly how smart Al Qaeda (or covert CIA if you believe in that stuff) is because, although another attack may increase McCain's chances of winning it also immediately puts more troops in Al Qaeda's back yard and I have no doubt that Act Now, Think Later McCain, will not hesitate to push for all the big guns.

4. faceking

Albums:
    Not assuming you believe in this, but for anyone who does... I'm shocked they stay in a country that purposesly kills their own innocent civilians for political and/or economic gain.

5. lucky8

Gold Member

There's been a rep in office for the last 8 years and the economy is tanking, plus McCain really does seem out of touch with today's world...I get the feeling he thinks the way our government was ran in the 20th century will work for the 21st century. It's more so the lesser of two evils, I don't feel Obama knows very much about this crisis but I also think McCain knows less. McCain wants to give tax cuts to the wealthy, but I think in a time like this, the wealthy should be giving just as much back(percentage wise) as everyone else. And to boot, McCain believes in de-regulation of the market, which has recently proven itself to be a flawed belief...not definative answers but that's my view on it

6. D_Portelay Porquesword

I am not necessarily completely happy with Obama and it is in part, for me the lesser of two evils. The lack of experience is a concern. I hope he surrounds himself with an intelligent administration that can offer the best advice possible.

I think from his perspective there is a commonsensical approach to problem solving that appeals to me. I am fearful of him being lead by those in power, I hope he has the balls to stand up in their face and say "Hell no!".

We shall see.

7. faceking

Albums:
    True, but I don't hold Bush accountable for the economy, not different than I hold Carter/Ford in the 70s. After all, it would go both ways, as Bush inherited the dot.bomb and maintained an unemployment rating better than the avg of the 90s, 80s, 70s for most of his administration... so it can't go both ways. (btw, I don't credit him for the unemployment figures, just as I don't for Clinton during the dot.com/Enron era).

8. lucky8

Gold Member

Ya, well most people do credit Bush with all of the above...I can see the correlation between people blaming Bush and people liking Obama

9. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

I don't know if he is the "best"-- the best for the economy isn't even running for office.

He is simply better than McCain- who STILL doesn't even understand the crisis and has Flip Flopped on the economy at least 3 times in the past 3 weeks.

HE was for the bailout-ran to Washington and claimed he had PULLED the party together... then claimed he supported the republicans who STOPPED the bailout... then went back and voted FOR a bailout that had 150 billion added in "earmarks" the SAME fucking earmarks that he had BLAMED for the crisis.

At this point the ONLY hope he have is someone who is at least intelligent enough to HOLD back and try to figure out what the hell is going on in a highly unstable and dynamic situation.

The Consensus OF ALL economic analysts is that this happened due to the steady de-regulation of a whole host of industries, including lending markets.

And that the proximate cause was FAILURE by Bush appointees to effectively enforce what few regulations they left intact.

Any THinking person who is willing to have their mind changed by conclusive proof has to conclude that "Trickle Down free market" theories have FAILED to result in a more productive and stable world economy.

They have only further concentrated 40% of all wealth in the hands of less than 0.2% of the population.

"conservatives' seem to think there is an ENTITLEMENT to wealth- and see no problem with the entire middle class LOSING ground as only the SUPER rich gain.

So- your poll presents a classical logical fault- a false dilemma.

Our choice this November is NOT between the Best and the Worst for the economy.
    McCain is probably not the worst and Obama certainly not the best.

Our choice is between someone who CAN NOT change his mind on the economic theories that have spectacularly failed.

... and someone else who is more open minded on alternatives to Reagonomics.

You do NOT hire the guys who BURGLED your house to change the locks!

That is why Obama is seen as better.

If McCain really was a "maverick" if he really wanted a chance to win--- he should be coming out and saying that events have proven that republican ideas of free markets need to be re-thought and tempered with adequate regulation.

He should be talking about getting OUT of Iraq- and trying a DIFFERENT approach to international relations than Killing innocents.

HE should get OFF the "be afraid" parade float of republican politics of paralyzation...

And start paying attention to the ONLY REAL THREAT we face... our own declining share of world productivity.

Obama is the better choice because he will have the support from congress needed to effect change.

McCain can't even get his own team to agree on change- half would happily let the economy fail as part of the great evolutionary experiment that is free market imbecility.

10. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

PS-
    To be accurate- your poll should have included an "all of the above" option.

Because they are ALL valid reasons.

11. D_season 5

D_season 5 Account Disabled

to all republicans...lets all vote for the only candidate that has 20 yrs experience in political corruption...the only one who is so far left...George Soros is now taking lessons from him...and how about all the experience with know terrorists...lets see....he lives two houses down from Louie Farrakkan...and of course lest we forget...the ultra rich Bill Ayers family...he inherited millions from his parents..dad was CEO of Comm Ed in Chicago...and lets see...he sure as hell knows how to deal with a special sort of Mafia...aka...Tony Resko..who currently is spilling his guts in Chicago to the Feds...the Feds want to Nail...GOV..BLOGO...a far left liberal dem...who was put in office by the Daley Machine in Chicago...
    and above all...lets elected him for he attended the same exclusive prep school in Honolulu that I did...PUNAHOU...where we just called him BARRY...and he had a different last name..Sapparo or something like that...
    SO...if we know in advance we can elect this swindler...lets take all of our collective millions...(no NICK8 cash allowed in this deal...sorry NICK..but ur an ...........) into off shore accounts...Caymans still works...only need to declare the interest from the cash...not the income from it...see Charlie Rangel for more details...ahhh who is CHARLIE RANGEL...? why...preytel...
    he is Chairman of the House and Ways Committe...he just claims he forgot to declare the income...and ohhh about that parking fee for my car?
    Search U.S. News

Opinion

Home > Opinion > Sam Dealey > Sorry, Charlie—Rangel Makes More Excuses for His Failure to Pay Taxes

« Responding Frank-ly—I Fire Back on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
    Barney Frank 'Fesses Up on Financial Crisis »

[​IMG]
    Sorry, Charlie—Rangel Makes More Excuses for His Failure to Pay Taxes

September 15, 2008 03:13 PM ET | Sam Dealey | Permanent Link | Print
    The list of excuses offered by Rep. Charles Rangel for failing to pay taxes on at least $75,000 in rental income from his luxury beachfront villa in the Caribbean grows longer. Now the Associated Press takes the Harlem Democrat, who is chairman of the powerful tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, to task for inaccuracies in his personal financial disclosures to Congress.
    There's nothing new that's overly juicy—although the sloppy form-filling only reinforces the perception that Rangel is a financial scofflaw. But his excuse is priceless: "While over the years I delegated to my staff the completion of my annual House financial disclosure statements, I had the ultimate responsibility."
    This kind of linguistic deviance, in which one seemingly takes responsibility while in fact deflecting blame elsewhere, is fast becoming an art form with Rangel. It's probably best summed up by two lines from a news conference he held last Wednesday to deflate the issue: "I sincerely regret and take personal responsibility for these errors," he said. And then, "I personally feel that I have done nothing morally wrong."
    For those keeping track, here's a short list of excuses offered by Rangel and his superlawyer, Lanny Davis, in which they blame the top tax-writer's ignorance of Tax 101; Rangel's wife; the resort's management; and the people of the Dominican Republic:
    • "Mr. Davis said the congressman did not realize he had to declare the money as income, and was unaware of the semiannual payments from the resort because his wife, Alma, handled the family finances and conferred with their accountant, John Viardi, on tax matters." (New York Times, September 5)
    • "While I now know is [sic] although I had not personally received proceeds in cash, the fact that [sic] any reduction of the mortgage actually counted as income and should have been reported as such." (Rangel news conference, September 10)
    • "The company's failure to provide timely and regular statement [sic] does not excuse any failure to be more diligently pursued [sic] the actual terms of the arrangement and respond appropriately." (Rangel news conference, September 10)
    • "But I want to thank my friend and lawyer Lanny Davis for putting together a team that has been able to do what I have not been able to do in 20 years, and that is to break through the cultural and language barrier in getting the owners to share with me the method in which this mortgage would be reduced and ultimately eliminated." (Rangel news conference, September 10)
    • "Every time I thought I was getting through, they started talking Spanish." (Rangel news conference, September 10)
    • "While over the years I delegated to my staff the completion of my annual House financial disclosure statements, I had the ultimate responsibility." (AP, September 15)

12. No_Strings

Gold Member

He's not "best for the economy"; his administration is simply better than McCain's will be.

But as we all know:

#12 No_Strings, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  13. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

The reason people believe he'll handle the economy better is because they want to blame whoever is president than themselves for their own mess. If it had been a democrat in office when this hit, they'd vote republican. It's just plain stupid. You need to stop waiting for someone else to save your butt, and start trying to protect yourself.
    How many people on here even have an emergency fund equal to 1 year of their expenses? How many have been living below their means, and stock piling some extra cash? How many of you even do basic monthly reading on what's going on in world economic circles?

14. D_season 5

D_season 5 Account Disabled

to all republicans...lets all vote for the only candidate that has 20 yrs experience in political corruption...the only one who is so far left...George Soros is now taking lessons from him...and how about all the experience with know terrorists...lets see....he lives two houses down from Louie Farrakkan...and of course lest we forget...the ultra rich Bill Ayers family...he inherited millions from his parents..dad was CEO of Comm Ed in Chicago...and lets see...he sure as hell knows how to deal with a special sort of Mafia...aka...Tony Resko..who currently is spilling his guts in Chicago to the Feds...the Feds want to Nail...GOV..BLOGO...a far left liberal dem...who was put in office by the Daley Machine in Chicago...
    and above all...lets elected him for he attended the same exclusive prep school in Honolulu that I did...PUNAHOU...where we just called him BARRY...and he had a different last name..Sapparo or something like that...
    SO...if we know in advance we can elect this swindler...lets take all of our collective millions...(no NICK8 cash allowed in this deal...sorry NICK..but ur an ...........) into off shore accounts...Caymans still works...only need to declare the interest from the cash...not the income from it...see Charlie Rangel for more details...ahhh who is CHARLIE RANGEL...? why...preytel...
    he is Chairman of the House and Ways Committe...he just claims he forgot to declare the income...and ohhh about that parking fee for my car?
    Search U.S. News

Opinion

Home > Opinion > Sam Dealey > Sorry, Charlie—Rangel Makes More Excuses for His Failure to Pay Taxes

« Responding Frank-ly—I Fire Back on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
    Barney Frank 'Fesses Up on Financial Crisis »

http://www.usnews.com/blog_dbimages/149/BL_PR_080811dealy_sam.jpg
    Sorry, Charlie—Rangel Makes More Excuses for His Failure to Pay Taxes

September 15, 2008 03:13 PM ET | Sam Dealey | Permanent Link | Print
    The list of excuses offered by Rep. Charles Rangel for failing to pay taxes on at least $75,000 in rental income from his luxury beachfront villa in the Caribbean grows longer. Now the Associated Press takes the Harlem Democrat, who is chairman of the powerful tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, to task for inaccuracies in his personal financial disclosures to Congress.
    There's nothing new that's overly juicy—although the sloppy form-filling only reinforces the perception that Rangel is a financial scofflaw. But his excuse is priceless: "While over the years I delegated to my staff the completion of my annual House financial disclosure statements, I had the ultimate responsibility."
    This kind of linguistic deviance, in which one seemingly takes responsibility while in fact deflecting blame elsewhere, is fast becoming an art form with Rangel. It's probably best summed up by two lines from a news conference he held last Wednesday to deflate the issue: "I sincerely regret and take personal responsibility for these errors," he said. And then, "I personally feel that I have done nothing morally wrong."

For those keeping track, here's a short list of excuses offered by Rangel and his superlawyer, Lanny Davis, in which they blame the top tax-writer's ignorance of Tax 101; Rangel's wife; the resort's management; and the people of the Dominican Republic:
    • "Mr. Davis said the congressman did not realize he had to declare the money as income, and was unaware of the semiannual payments from the resort because his wife, Alma, handled the family finances and conferred with their accountant, John Viardi, on tax matters." (New York Times, September 5)
    • "While I now know is [sic] although I had not personally received proceeds in cash, the fact that [sic] any reduction of the mortgage actually counted as income and should have been reported as such." (Rangel news conference, September 10)
    • "The company's failure to provide timely and regular statement [sic] does not excuse any failure to be more diligently pursued [sic] the actual terms of the arrangement and respond appropriately." (Rangel news conference, September 10)
    • "But I want to thank my friend and lawyer Lanny Davis for putting together a team that has been able to do what I have not been able to do in 20 years, and that is to break through the cultural and language barrier in getting the owners to share with me the method in which this mortgage would be reduced and ultimately eliminated." (Rangel news conference, September 10)
    • "Every time I thought I was getting through, they started talking Spanish." (Rangel news conference, September 10)
    • "While over the years I delegated to my staff the completion of my annual House financial disclosure statements, I had the ultimate responsibility." (AP, September 15)

15. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Amen. Somebody (obviously not a liberal or Obama worshipper) actually understands that taking responsibility is the fundamental problem in our economy. I can't pay my bills, its GWB's fault. I got greedy and bought more house than I could afford, its GWB's fault. Poor people couldn't afford houses, its GWB's fault. Then they couldn't pay them back, its GWB's fault. I'm between jobs, somebody pay me and give me healthcare; I'm too busy to find a job; I'm working out and GWB fucked me.

The economy has very little to do with the Administration. The economy is cyclical, it goes up and down. A straight line drawn through the peaks and valleys of the centuries has always had on upward slope [Endicott Peabody.] There is plenty of blame to go around in this crisis, and appropriately, there are plenty who will bear the burden of repair.

It's very convenient and simple to place blame and avoid responsibility. In fact, I believe that is the thesis of the Democratic Party. Er, that's what you call, "fair" via Joe Biden.

The unfortunate (some truly unfortunate, most lazy) are deserving of the fruits of those who sacrifice and are productive.

16. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
    Obama is brilliant and McCain is an old broken shouldered codger. Enough said.

17. B_starinvestor

Thank you for that revelation. I'm sold.

18. stratedude

Gold Member

Albums:
    I should have picked other: It seems that the foreign Sheep around the world will be so happy to see their favorite American candidate take the White House, that they will go on a Wall Street market buying spree.

My choice was originally "Obama can inspire people and the markets with leadership speak." but the problem is that this would be considered a false statement.

The truth is:

#1 that "leadership speak" in this case really means "meaningless rhetoric"

and #2 that Obama is only inspiring people with the color of his skin.

19. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Elementary.
    Because, as a Democrat, he has a higher IQ.

20. B_starinvestor

Lol. No doubt, Obama has a higher IQ. And for the record, he's a better public speaker. His toughest days were in an air-conditioned library assimilating radical support propoganda per instructions from Ayers and Khalidi. He wasn't a 'community organizer,' he was a 'radical organizer.'

If I wanted somebody to speak to my neighbors about revolution, he's my man. If I want my country to be protected and our nation preserved - give me John McCain.

Draft saved Draft deleted