Why is polygamy condoned in the US?

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I've been a pro-polygamist for a while. I believe that monogamy is not natural. I know this will offend alot of people, but it's a cause that I firmly believe in. In our tribal days, before institutional religion, marriage didn't exist. We likely did what all other primates did -- have sex with whomever we could. Although marriage entails legal commitments, the ceremony itself is a religious act. Marriage is something invented by man; It's not something that is natural to man.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been a pro-polygamist for a while. I believe that monogamy is not natural. I know this will offend alot of people, but it's a cause that I firmly believe in. In our tribal days, before institutional religion, marriage didn't exist. We likely did what all other primates did -- have sex with whomever we could. Although marriage entails legal commitments, the ceremony itself is a religious act. Marriage is something invented by man; It's not something that is natural to man.
Marriage is something invented by man; it has only in recent history been something other than a contract - something to "seal a deal" more permanently than a handshake.

Pair bonding is another story. For some, an exclusive relationship is natural, and for others, it is not. I'm neither pro-monogamy nor pro-polygamy... I'm pro-choice.

yggdrasil

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I believe monogamy is natural, but only to a limited extent. Has anyone here heard of polyandry? The flipside of polygamy, which was practiced in several cultures, including Tibet. One woman would marry all the sons of another family. Typically one man would be the home "stud", predominantly, while the other brothers would mainly tend to the herds, which could range over some serious distances, or would travel on trade expeditions and the like. In certain circumstances, I think that either polygamy or polyandry could make sense, and I think it is fine in principle. In practice, however, such as in some of these fundamentalist Mormon sects, polygamy tends to go hand-in-hand with rape, incest, and other forms of violence and oppression towards women. Polygamy is NOT the same thing as permissive promiscuity, it is the enforced bonding of several women to one man, and that element of societal force, in the places where it is practiced, makes it a form of oppression of women, in most cases. Promiscuity, as long as one is responsible about preventing spread of disease and pregnancy, and taking responsibility for "accidents" when they do occur, is okay, as long as all parties know what they are getting into. Dishonesty, manipulation, and self-centered irresponsibility are the problems, regardless of one's parameters for sexual activity. Committed monogamous relationships are far from perfect, but it tends to be a simpler system, especially when kids happen...

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
It IS illegal. You can have common law marriages though. Offically, they'll marry one wife and the rest are just....there.

See the HBO series Big Love. It gives a lot of insight into a mormon family that is not of the mormon church or any sect. They are their own unit and function as their own unit; one man, three wives. It's one of my favorite shows.

As a swinger, I can easily see how polygamy can work. I've had several relationships where more than one person has been involved on a regular basis. I do not believe monogamy is natural to humans. I do not condone it, but I also don't tear it down.

FrenumFellow

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Since the OP seems to me to have a bit of an anti-US tone to it, I'm going make an initial response with some pointed sarcasm:

The US is just ahead of the curve. Polygamy will be coming to your country soon, with the implementation of sharia law.

The reference to the spread of islamic influence in european and "western" nations, leads me to think of a serious response in this vein. Polygamy isn't condoned in the US, as much as it's an underground subculture that manages to escape largely unpunished for a complex variety of reasons, including religious senstivity and lack of interest in what some consider a "victimless" crime. And who is to say that there isn't as much underground polygamy in other nations, including possibly the OP's home country, as there is in the US? There is certainly some, and it probably escapes official attention for the same reasons that it does in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a significant instance of islamic and african polygamy in some western countries, that those countries' governments don't have the courage to acknowledge much less address.

Perhaps it's even the case that polygamy appears to be more prevalent and somehow accepted in the US, precisely because the media and the government in this country are willing to publicly reveal what other countries are keeping swept under the rug.

FF

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Since the OP seems to me to have a bit of an anti-US tone to it, I'm going make an initial response with some pointed sarcasm:

The US is just ahead of the curve. Polygamy will be coming to your country soon, with the implementation of sharia law.
I tend to disagree. The US has a long history of polygamy, and it's not a new trend. In fact, Utah wasn't allowed to join the Union until after it officially outlawed polygamy.

For years on this site, I've made no secret that I am pro-polygamy. I think that it's part of the human condition. The world's largest religions have dencounced polygamy, but there many smaller, older religions around the world which condone or even encourage it.

I don't think that being pro-polygamy is being "ahead of the curve." If anything, it's being traditional.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why is polygamy condoned in the US?

It's really not. If anything I would say that we barely tolerate it. Freedom of religion however is pretty much the basis for how this country started. Well that and those thugs and wastrels Emgland sent us on the Mayflower. Many of the other people who came here were seeking religious freedom. It just so happend that a feew of those religions had polygamy at their core.

Polygamy doesn't bother me at all so long as consenting adults are involved. It's actually a big issue here concerning immigration. Polygamy is legal in many countries throughout the world yet if a polygamous family wants to immigrate to the US, their marriage won't be recognized by the US or any state government. This is also the case with visitors from other countries. Polygamous families cannot visit the US with any security should one of them have an emergency.