Why is polygyny/polygamy such a modern taboo?

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I wonder why. It surely isn't just an outcropping of the Judeo Christian morality, so we can eliminate the fundamentalists. It is outright banned in 20% of the world.

Is that good or bad?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Yes, it is good... or bad...

Depends on your stance. :rolleyes:

Sorry.

Actually it is only illegal in terms of having a legal marriage contract with more than one person at once. There is no law in most countries (that I'm aware of) of actual polygamous behaviour, just of making the contract with more than one person.

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I see it as simply "too complicated" for most people. It could maybe work, but can even a hunk of a man, not spread himself too thin among 2 women?

It's practical to insure a more fair 1-1 pairing of males and females, rather than the most popular men taking all the women, leaving nobody left for me to marry.

But since it was apparently, at least tolerated in the Bible, I don't judge against it so much, especially in countries where it's still their culture.

Also, I don't believe humans should use any means of "birth control," because the human body simply wasn't designed to hinder the natural flow of life. I can deal with all the babies 1 wife might have, but what about 4 wives? Another baby every few months? Maybe if I am rich, but otherwise, am I just a "stud," and the mothers work together to support their own children? Seems a bit too "complicated" to me, not to mention all the possible relationship "jealousy" factors.

So just 1 wife, ought to be enough for me. The other wives can still have all those babies, but with their own separate husbands/families to support them.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
In a culture of plenty, and of freedom, polygamy is not really a workable solution.

GIven the rations of women to men, for evry guy with two wives some other guy has to have none....

But most critically... in most cultures... access to education and personal freedom naturally result in monogamous family structures.
Aside from the occasional individual with a fascination with multiple partners,....Polygamy only survives as a widespread social norm in societies that significantly limit the freedoms of one gender... usually women.

Keeping women in the dark... keeping them uneducated, socially isolated from other people who might have other ideas, and preventing them from freely moving around, as well as significant physical intimidation , such as the penalties outlined in Sharia, are the kinds of cultural norms that must be in place for polygamy to endure.

When you see such enclaves as the recently raided Texas compound... what you see are a handful of older men, denying younger men the same access to women they have... brainwashing young women and girls... isolating them from education and information...

Its not religious freedom... is gender and sexuality based fascism...

Free societies don't condone it because it is not possible to perpetuate without denying some people their rights.

It's a big issue for immigrants who want to come here and have multiple wives. One third of the world lives in countries where polygamy is legal yet they can't come to the US and have more than one wife be recognized. I think that's ridiculous.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Sorry... its not ridiculous. If your polygamist country was worth a shit you would not be coming to the US.
This is not a free for all where everybody else's culture gets equal play... this is the American culture, and no, no matter how many generations of your forebears practiced stone age idiocy...you CAN NOT cut your daughter's clit off, and you can not have your multiple wives.

The idea that we should have to respect other people's "cultures of origin" is lunacy... we would end up having to put up with Sharia and honor killings. Have the cops sit helplessly by why the family of a dead man burns his wife alive.

ALL ideas are not equally valid. Some ideas are simply stupid, cruel or unworkable.

The US is a nice place to live because it has BETTER ideas that are more effective at providng the maximum number with a good life.

You wantn to be a part of it? ASSIMILATE.

Or stay in Dumbfuckistan with your culture that is getting you nowhere.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The older I get the more I realize people go along with whatever society says even if they don't believe it. For example, I believe a lot of people don't really believe in god, but still go to church just to go along to get along. Same thing with marriage, people play the game but don't question the rules.

I don't think anyone is stopping men from having multiple partners with kids, but it's probably hard to find women that would be comfortable with that. Seems like the only ones are the ones brought up by their religion to believe that is right.

A few years ago I thought about this a bit. I see all these single mothers trying to raise kids. I wonder if they'd rather share a husband that can support them so they can spend time with the kids rather than try to work and raise the kids on their own.

The other problem is when you bring up the subject most people probably think it is a sexual thing, that guys want to have multiple partners. I think to work in practice the husband would have to be dedicated to the family and kids rather than just do it for the sexual part of it.

I don't consider a wife with multiple husbands because biologically that doesn't make as much sense.
The US is a nice place to live because it has BETTER ideas that are more effective at providng the maximum number with a good life.
And the freedom and values lead to more production and better economy which means we can afford a better military. In the end it all comes down to being able to defend your values.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just think of teh deviant sexual practices of the ancient troglodytes and teh early Bantus, Romans, and Greeks.

Compared to that , polygamy is a peck on the cheek.

It's probably taboo because of the preconditioning of religion of society. Even though several religious and philosophical texts mention polygamy.