why is public nudity illegal?

hairyman101

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Unfortunately we're stuck with the puritanical social mores and taboos that have shaped our society but, as previously mentioned, there are at least some places that we can hang out (pun intended) naked with others of like mind.

Some pictures gleaned from the 'net:

hot pics....but i cant believe the hitchhiker one. i do live out in a house in the forest and go naked as much as i can.

D_Percy_Prettywillie

Account Disabled
Media
I don't think being naked in public should be illegal. If you want to be naked, I say more power to you- at some point, everyone has seen a naked human being, and it's certainly not the shameful act certain sects of the population would have us believe it is.

If they legalized nudity tomorrow though? I'd... probably never go anywhere naked. Not because I'm ashamed of my body or because of some sense of modesty but because a.) I like clothes (I'm kind of a clothes horse) and b.) society is fucking filthy. I mean... imagine all the things your clothes come in contact with in public on a daily basis that would be your flesh if you were naked...

it's a chilling thought... my butt cheeks being spread by cold hard plastic while I waited for my espresso from Starbucks.

JSZ

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Because unfortunately, most people tend to fetishize and sexualize nudity. They think that if there's nakedness, it must be sexual. Definitely not the case in reality, but some people still live in that 18th century mindset.

Or, someone ruins it for the rest of us, like creepy people wo masturbate in public brazenly.

USN2MD

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think its because most people, especially the ones that let them selves go, just look awful nude. I mean next time your out eating breakfast or something take stock of who's around you and imagine having to look, even only momentarily, at them with no clothes on as you are sipping your coffee and reading the paper. It would be an awful way to start the day.

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think its because most people, especially the ones that let them selves go, just look awful nude. I mean next time your out eating breakfast or something take stock of who's around you and imagine having to look, even only momentarily, at them with no clothes on as you are sipping your coffee and reading the paper. It would be an awful way to start the day.

I think this is part of the point. We all have different shaped bodies and that's the way life works. What's the difference if they are nude or not, they still pass by your vision at some point!

nakedwally

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Same with Portland, Oregon
as long as it is not sexual you are fine
that is why Portland can have a naked bike ride

Actually the reason why the naked bike ride happens and no one is bothered by it is cause Portland is such a liberal city with all types of people. Officially within the city exposure of the genitals is a violation of Portland city code, just checked their website now to verify.

As far as the state level is concerned I know that when I was living in Oregon there was no state law regarding public nudity, but cities and counties had the right to make ordinances regarding indecency or nudity.

hockeysweat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The obvious reason why public nudity is illegal in most places is that we have thousands of years of tradition calling nudity immoral, disgusting, shameful, etc. A page of history, as Oliver Wendell Holmes once said, is worth a volume of logic.

That said, if people walked around naked, I would never sit on public transit again.

travis1985

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I can see the public health idea, but I feel like anything scary enough to worry about isn't going to be that deterred by your clothing. After a day of walking around in your clothes, the germs they came in contact with are going to find their way onto your body, and from your body they get into your house, on all your furniture, in your silverware drawer, and all over the bed you have sex on naked. We're all covered in each other's germs either way, so being phobic of them doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

hockeysweat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I can see the public health idea, but I feel like anything scary enough to worry about isn't going to be that deterred by your clothing. After a day of walking around in your clothes, the germs they came in contact with are going to find their way onto your body, and from your body they get into your house, on all your furniture, in your silverware drawer, and all over the bed you have sex on naked. We're all covered in each other's germs either way, so being phobic of them doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Call me irrational, but I am not sitting in a puddle of some dude's ass sweat. This has nothing to do with germs.