Why is the GOP sinking?

Mackey

Just Browsing
Media
Illegal immigration and just the overall changing demographics have a lot to do with it.

Here's a good article I read awhile back.

To grasp how powerfully demographic change is reshaping the political landscape, try this thought experiment about the 2008 election.

Start by considering the electorate's six broadest demographic groups – white voters with at least a four-year college degree, white voters without a college degree, African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians and other minorities.

Now posit that each of those groups voted for Barack Obama or John McCain in exactly the same proportions as it actually did. Then imagine that each group represented the share of the electorate that it did in 1992. If each of these groups voted as it did in 2008 but constituted the same share of the electorate as in 1992, McCain would have won. Comfortably
Ronald Brownstein: Dems' boost shows no sign of slowing | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Opinion: Points

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
The GOP will be a formidable machine again in the very near future...............define Near. they need to get their shit together

DenverGND

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The GOP is sinking because it has become glaringly evident that their economic philosophy and policies are an utter failure. Their ship ran into an iceberg and even as the water surrounds them, they still cling to their belief that the ship is unsinkable.

sparky11point5

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yo, dude, did you read the article? It says nothing about illegal immigrants, who generally do not vote, or anything that might risk being thrown out of the country. Just because they are immigrants does not make them illegal.

Although the demographic trends are real, I think there is a subtle, profoundly racist idea here that these growing groups of Hispanic and Asian citizens (whether by birth or naturalization) are somehow 'less American'. One man, one vote, get over it. Democracy is messy that way.

Every day, I walk near the historical site of the Boston City Gallows, on the 'Neck' along Washington Street. It was here that evil Baptists were occasionally hanged by the City Fathers, before we kicked their asses into Rhode Island. They must have been un-American or something.

Sparky

Illegal immigration and just the overall changing demographics have a lot to do with it.

Here's a good article I read awhile back.

Ronald Brownstein: Dems' boost shows no sign of slowing | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Opinion: Points

Mackey

Just Browsing
Media
Yo, dude, did you read the article? It says nothing about illegal immigrants, who generally do not vote, or anything that might risk being thrown out of the country. Just because they are immigrants does not make them illegal.

Although the demographic trends are real, I think there is a subtle, profoundly racist idea here that these growing groups of Hispanic and Asian citizens (whether by birth or naturalization) are somehow 'less American'. One man, one vote, get over it. Democracy is messy that way.

Every day, I walk near the historical site of the Boston City Gallows, on the 'Neck' along Washington Street. It was here that evil Baptists were occasionally hanged by the City Fathers, before we kicked their asses into Rhode Island. They must have been un-American or something.

Sparky
Hispanics and Asians tend to vote Democrat. There's nothing racist about that.

I mentioned illegal immigration because that's how most hispanics come into the country and they're the fastest growing demographic. Don't know where you got the un-American thing from.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
Historically Hispanics don't vote in large numbers. If they could get them out in force it would be a boom for the the party they favor.

sparky11point5

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I mentioned illegal immigration because that's how most hispanics come into the country ..

I don't believe that this is true. Do you have a source?

And, yes, one of the interesting shifts in the 2008 election was that Hispanic voters, previously Republican-leaning, shifted strongly Democratic.

D

deleted15807

And, yes, one of the interesting shifts in the 2008 election was that Hispanic voters, previously Republican-leaning, shifted strongly Democratic.

You are exactly right about that one. Hispanics could smell the coffee of the 'immigration reform' and exactly who it was focused at.

Bush warned them. Bush Warns GOP to Avoid 'Anti-Immigrant' Label. Alas it was too little too late.

The GOP is sinking because it has become glaringly evident that their economic philosophy and policies are an utter failure. Their ship ran into an iceberg and even as the water surrounds them, they still cling to their belief that the ship is unsinkable.

Exactly. And they incredibly STILL think they just need to 'get their message out' there. What a load of shit. We've heard their 'message' for 8 miserable years. WE GET IT.

GOP scrambles to show it has ideas

Office of the Republican Whip :: House Democrat Cliffhanger
- another grade school attempt at selling the usual tax cut propaganda that is the duct tape of conservatism

Last edited by a moderator:

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I think there are a number of variables...all mentioned above...but IMHO the biggest lag on the GOP is an intellectual incongruency that panders to internal interests rather than constituents. For a recent example of internal discord and muted voter messages, take a look at the Democratic party circa 1968-1992....by the time the party platform was drafted, (keeping some vested interests happy and squashing others) the message to the electorate was convoluted. No one knew what the hell the 'message' was. The GOP's slide is tied to the Atwaterian and Roveian ploy of tieing policy to social issues to 'bring out the base'. That is a neat trick and all....but after a half a generation, as we say in the South, that dog wont hunt. When they are forced divorce the political from the social/emotional...there are glaring inconsistencies in the message(s).

I am no friend of Nancy...do not get me wrong...but you have to admit she has a huge political dick and keeps her people in line...in Congress and at the DNC.