Why is the Republican party so

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unabear09, Jan 27, 2010.

1. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why is the Republican party so hell bent on the total failure of Obama and the rest of the Democratically held congress? I mean, do they not get it that if they fail, the country is essentually flushed down the crapper?

In my mind, failure of the president/congress=failure of the country.

Am I the only person who gets this?

2. B_Mister Buildington

I believe that the Republican party doesn't want Obama to fail- they want him to fail to get his own way. This is because they disagree strongly with what they think he wants to do to change America. They want to slow him down and restrict him from having freedom to make his political desires reality.

The two parties have different values, and a lot of them are not up for compromise, it seems.

Edit: also, there is a bit of sour grapes and simple partisan fighting. I think that both parties can be guilty of that at times.

3. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    No. But just in case you were, tonight the President quite plainly said pretty much the same thing to their faces (not that it'd make any fuckin' difference).

4. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    In other words....

Neither party can put aside their own personal beliefs, and work for the people they were elected by.

See that brings up another issue that has been bothering me. I live in northern Alabama, and voted for then Democrat Parker Griffith. He recently switched parties based on his 'personal beliefs.' Well his statement has stuck with me for some time now.

My understanding was that we elect persons into governmental office to represent us....the constituants. His or her own personal beliefs are supposed to be set aside so they can represent the people. Grifith was elected, as a Democrat, to represent the people of North Alabama. In other words, he abandoned his party, therefore he has abandoned his constituants. Why didn't he put his own personal beliefs aside and continue to represent the Democratic voters who elected him in the first place?

5. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Repub's and Dem's failing to compromise eh? Is there any wonder peace in the Middle East looks unattainable.

6. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:

7. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

The Democrat and the Republican parties in the USA are like the Shia and Sunni in Iraq...they basicly HATE one another. It was the same when GW Bush was in office the Dems did everything they coudl to try and make him fail. They blamed him for the war in Iraq that MOST OF THEM voted for after 9/11.

8. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:

well at least then, the Democrats put aside their petty differences and voted for something that they thought was for the betterment of our country. Not taking sides here, I hate both parties. From what I have seen in the last 20 years though is that the Democratic party seems to always be the ones who give in and compromise.

9. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

#9 B_jeepguy2, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  10. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah. The Dems are notorious for lacking anything resembling a backbone.

11. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:

no arguements here

BUT

They know when its time to put aside their own differences, and do what is in the betterment and greater good for our country.

BTW.....

I'm neither Democrat nor Republican. I consider myself to be socially liberal, and financially conservative.

12. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

Yeah the Democrats seem to go whichever way public opinion goes, at least the Republicans are consistent. If they suddenly took a poll or held a focus group and found out that the majority of voters favored a return to racial segregation most of the Democrats would suddenly be all for it. Hell the Republicans had to drag the Democrats into the 20th century on this issue kicking and screaming.

After 9/11 when the American public wanted revenge on the Arabs most of the Democrats were all for invading Iraq even though the evidence that Sadaam had anything to do with the attack was circumstantial at best. One of the attackers visited Iraq big deal! But the Dems jumped on the bandwagon, we had to get the WMD before Iraq gave it to the terrorists. Once public opinion turned aganist the war in Iraq the Dems suddenly turned against it too even though they had voted for it. John Kerry famously uttered "I voted for the war before I voted against it." LOL

The Dems used to be all for gun control, then they realized that the majority of the voters DO NOT WANT gun control. When was the last time you heard a Democrat even mention the word gun control? You haven't seen Barrack Obama up there holding hands for a photo-op with Sarah Brady either! After that psycho kid shot up VA Tech they attacked the mental heath system...but they would not go near gun control!

#12 B_jeepguy2, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  13. B_Mister Buildington

Unabear-
    As a financial conservative, you feel that the country is better off if the Republicans stop obstructing the Democrats? I find that odd.

14. technopeasant

technopeasant Member

I think if republicans could see an inch of compromise in the democrats there might be some cooperation but so far there doesn't seem to be any.

15. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    but isn't that the point of being an elected official? If my congressman does something that I don't approve of and my fellow voters don't agree with, isn't it our job to let our representative that we don't approve of what they are doing? And by the same token, isn't it the representative's job to listen to the voters and act/vote in accordance to what their constituants tell them? That's the way our government is set up isn't it?

16. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, if you want to go there, we will. I personally think we should have let the banking/mortgage industry fail totally. However, the 'conservative' Republicans started us on this spending frenzy that helped fuel our current economic situation.

Since GWB decided to fuck us over one last time before he left office, he created a monster that couldn't really be stopped once Obama entered office. You can't just say 'here's billions of dollars to keep you from going under,' and a few months later say 'oh well we were wrong, you can't have any money and give us back everything we've already given you up to this point.'

The thing that I am seeing Obama do is fix the things that are robbing us blind (healthcare, 2 wars, etc.). Unfortunately, in order to fix something you have to spend money. In the short term, his plan is going to cost trillions. However, five or 10 years down the road, all the money we have been throwing away to corporate greed in the years past will start to funnel back in to our cauffers, thus allowing us to pay for our debts we have now. Once you spend the money to repair an all but broken dam, you can start rebuilding the cities and towns that were destroyed from the overflowing water.

17. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    The Dems have been weak and I make no excuse for that, but the Republicans have been the party of division and fear. Need to motivate the base? Target the gays. Need to tear down opposition to unrestrained military spending? Claim that your opponent doesn't support the troops.

18. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

Yeah but apparently the Democrats haven't gotten the message that voters are sick of Obama running up the national debt to bail out banks, pay cash for clunker cars, send more troops to Afganistan, etc., etc. and they DO NOT want this insanely expensive government takeover of the US healthcare system that Obama, Pelosi and Reid seem determined to cram down their throats.

19. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

That's not what voters are sick of. Try again.

20. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    What the people are sick of is the fact that nothing gets done in Washington because of partisan politics.

The people wanted Bush to end the war but did he end it? So Jeepguy, were you outraged that he didn't listen? Did you care when it was a Republican running up the debt?

Draft saved Draft deleted