why is the Vatican so ornamented

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Surely a respectable building that represents the heirarchy of christianity only needs to be a set of bungalows, why is it so adorned with lavish surroundings and ornate furnishings, surely they should not be profiting from the charity of their flock when the world is so hungry in places (not my house, i got chocolate).

Evil, evil city.

Don't mind me, just ranting as i need once in a while :rolleyes:

8iG

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
just burn it down and forbit every form of religion, the world would be a better place

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We could all live in a simple bungalow with just enough to survive. Why don't we? Because money does make you happy.

In case of the pope I guess it makes up for the fact he can't have sex.

I agree with 8IG btw. Do away with it all and it'd be a much more peaceful world.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ornamentation? It's a display of power and legitimacy.

Hey, if you got the money (which the Catholic church does) flaunt it and use it so others and your followers think you're legit. They are after all the only church God channels through. They need to look the part to be convincing.

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
religion and spirituality are full of beautiful metaphors
that will unveil alot of the reasons behind the frustration in life.

religion is good...it is Dogma that sucks ass.

the vatican is so ornate because GOD hates anything UGLY.
jesuits know god would just LOVE all things made of gold and ivory.

especially if it is funded by the guilt money from the sinners of the community,
:wink:

Partly because it's syncretised with paganism and they appropriated loads of artifacts and stuff from it's pre-Christian origins. That obelisk in the courtyard was originally devoted to Jupiter Apollo (I think in Heliopolis, Egypt) but they moved it there and 'cleansed' it with holy water, lol. Also a lot of the Virgin Mary figures where originally of the Goddess Diana, but just nicked for Catholicism.

There's loads of fascinating details about how a lot of the religious imagery in Europe was originally from paganism. The statue of Mary at Gibraltar was also Diana (or maybe Europa?).

A lot of religious people equate the Catholic Church to the whore of Revelation - sitting astride the beast (Holy Roman Empire) and getting fat on all the ornaments and riches she's gathered over the ages, due to her position of dominance and control. Slut.

Lets hope the Catholic Church doesn't hijack the EU at some point as a crafty way of restoring her position of influence, and 'protecting' Europe from Islam and secularism. :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:

the vatican is so ornate because GOD hates anything UGLY.
jesuits know god would just LOVE all things made of gold and ivory.

especially if it is funded by the guilt money from the sinners of the community,
:wink:

But would He want loads of recycled hand-me-downs from pagan gods, which He's so against in the Bible?? :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Surely a respectable building that represents the heirarchy of christianity only needs to be a set of bungalows, why is it so adorned with lavish surroundings and ornate furnishings, surely they should not be profiting from the charity of their flock when the world is so hungry in places (not my house, i got chocolate).

Evil, evil city.

Mitchymitchymitchy, it isn't that hard to understand.

Basilica de San Pietro was build in the 16th century, the century of the architecture of Barok. It has the typical ornaments from those days, and don't forget it is Italian. Those days, when they build the San Pietro, God was everything. They believed that how bigger and more beautiful the churches, etc were build how happier God would be. The Vatican is the home for someone as big as God.
Catholic religion was the main focus those days, now it is an attraction.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Other than the Sistine Chapel, I don't find the interior of Saint Peter's very beautiful. There are rare and beautiful individual pieces of art, but the overall feeling is heavy, dark and overbearing. It gives me a very uncomfortable sense of oppression.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
No everything about the Catholic Church is that awful. Do you have any idea how much good Catholic charities have done throughout the ages? It's quite natural to look at the dark side of the Church first and only stay focused on that.

I never saw too many non-religious groups doing any great good for humanity on a large scale. Religion is what often gets people do commit good acts.

Back on topic: the art work really wasn't meant to just show power and status and take from the poor, but to honor God. Art is a means to an end: bring people closer to God (no I'm not being naive here)

Where there are humans is there always despicable corruption. No, I don't agree with some of the Church's teachings.

A lot can be learned from the Church's holiest people (monks, saints, etc). Such is the case with Buddhism as well.

ryan25yo

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Evil, evil city.

Maybe because it was built in the Baroque era???

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The Vatican is a remarkable architectural collection of buildings housing the largest single collection of European art. Taken as a whole it is simply priceless, and I don't see how you would begin to put a price on something like the Sistine Chapel or sell the individual murals. However there is no doubt that many of the works of art in the museum and in store could be sold and would yield enormous sums of money. Additionally the Vatican holds substantial financial reserves. The Vatican City is very rich indeed.

That the Vatican occupies baroque buildings is in my view neither here nor there - this is an accident of history. It is its immense wealth that I find hard to see as acceptable. There is an argument that it needs this wealth to ensure its own survival and to fund its activities, including charitable activities. But the argument is deeply flawed as there are other churches which survive and carry out their activities without holding wealth on anything like this level. Think of the Reformed Churches, or many others in the protestant tradition.

Part of me says that the argument "liquidise your assets and do something about poverty and suffering" is too simple. And part of me says that the argument is so simple that it is overwhelming. How can the Vatican justify its enormous wealth when the faith they profess tells them to love others, tells them that charity is good? I'm not suggesting that they should all be living in poverty, but there has to be a balance between poverty and the obscene opulence of the Vatican.

shinato

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
these are some very good points. indeed the vatican was built hundreds of years ago during a time when some of the worlds greatest painters lived and such ornate devotion was seen as a true affection for god. not to mention your were in the heart of the holy roman empire and in italy. not to mention the vatican and and pope more particularly was as powerful if not more powerful then the italian emperor himself. indeed in some cases it was the pope and not the emperor that declared the succesion. so the vatican was also a show of the pope's power over the crown.