Why is the world very anti-American????

D_Sir Dancealot

1st Like
Media
As some of you know. I was in Crete (which is an Island belonging to Greece) last week and there was loads of anti Amercan slogans all over the place. How can America improve it's worldwide image????? Do the American people and/or the Leadership not care about the rest of the world.......Unless oil is involved that is!!!! Most members on this site are American, so what do you guys think???? If you are from the rest of the world,reply also.

Ker76

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don´t know if this is the right forum for such a wide-ranging discussion. I´d advise to use some more straightforward forum for such things. When people come here, they most probably seek relief from the real world...

D_Sir Dancealot

1st Like
Media
Ker76 said:
I don´t know if this is the right forum for such a wide-ranging discussion. I´d advise to use some more straightforward forum for such things. When people come here, they most probably seek relief from the real world...

Your correct. It is the wrong forum......Slap my butt SORRY! Does anyone know how one can move this to another forum?????????

EDIT: moved to Et Cetera, Et Cetera

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I live in the political center of the universe as far as Yanks are concerned, so I can say this with certainty:

Because we Americans are arrogant bastards who tell the rest of the world to fuck off if they don't like us.

Texans are worse.

B_horribleperson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yorksguyuk said:
As some of you know. I was in Crete (which is an island belonging to Greece) last week and there was loads of anti Amercan slogans all over the place. How can America improve it's worldwide image????? Or does the American people and leadership not care about the rest of the world?????? Unless oil is involved that is!!!! Most members on this site are American, so what do you guys think????

America is run by a bunch of large companies who have bought off "our elected" leaders so the leaders will due whats best for the large companies. and by best i mean brings in the most amount of PROFIT. and since the end of WW2 that mean supporting any evil nasty dictator in the world. (like that guy from iraq who we went after.) just look at what we did in Central and South America, Iran turned out great, and all those nice leaders we support in Africa. there was one man who told us all of this would happen to be Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States, he fortold of the "military-industrial complex." these are the companies that make money from war they build the bombs and guns and planes. these companies are run by SUPER GREEDY MEN who only want to one-up there billionaire friends. to see who has the biggest house, the most homes, and the richest car and coolest crap money can buy.

more will come later i have a hurricane to get ready for.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Is much of the world really "very anti-American" per se, or is "America" merely used in that formulation as a rather unfortunate shorthand for saying that one is against certain policies and political tendencies espoused by the current regime?

Because you can be certain that at the same time as launching "anti-American" protests, those same people are likely to be eating American fast food, watching Hollywood movies and US TV shows, buying American brands (or brands with pseudo-American names), and having at least a rudimentary knowledge of English that is likely to be American English (perceived as a 'global lingua franca').

Any nation that establishes itself in a defining position within the global arena (whether through rhetoric, popular-cultural hegemony, or physical incursions, etc.) is likely to be simultaneously embraced and villified... it's the two-edged sword of the old "What have the Romans ever done for us?" scenario in The Life of Brian. :rolleyes:

Specific dislike of policies and regimes for reasons that one can articulate is quite different from a blanket 'hatred' of a nation, which latter bespeaks a hugely over-simplified view of the world (which is nevertheless all too common - it's far easier to rally against a homogenized-yet-illusory single 'straw enemy' rather than stopping to differentiate those myriad disparate elements that one opposes); an over-simplified view which some might say is shared by the current US administration in its international dealings and pronouncements.

D_Sir Dancealot

1st Like
Media
horribleperson said:
America is run by a bunch of large companies who have bought off "our elected" leaders so the leaders will due whats best for the large companies. and by best i mean brings in the most amount of PROFIT. and since the end of WW2 that mean supporting any evil nasty dictator in the world. (like that guy from iraq who we went after.) just look at what we did in Central and South America, Iran turned out great, and all those nice leaders we support in Africa. there was one man who told us all of this would happen to be Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States, he fortold of the "military-industrial complex." these are the companies that make money from war they build the bombs and guns and planes. these companies are run by SUPER GREEDY MEN who only want to one-up there billionaire friends. to see who has the biggest house, the most homes, and the richest car and coolest crap money can buy.

more will come later i have a hurricane to get ready for.

So is this what they call the American Way?

sunsetapisto

Just Browsing
Media
I think a better question is - why is america the only country who obeys POW rules and other UN regulations and no one else does yet they all "hate us" and blame us for various world occurances.

This is the best country in the world, if you don't beleive it go live in Iran for a week. You'll be surprised how wonderful it is here. People want that freedom, and if they can't have it they'll simply hate it and pretend it's something it's not.

Wether you think that this country is run by corporations or not you still have freedom of speech, press blah blah blah

not everyone has that.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
yorksguyuk said:
As some of you know. I was in Crete... last week and there was loads of anti Amercan slogans all over the place...
First, contact a Mod, and ask for your thread to be moved.

Next, what was going on in Crete? I usually go there in the summer, and have never had any problems. Of course, I usually am mistaken for one of the many Scandinavians there. Actually, Greece, in general, is one of the few places that separates the actions of the US government, from how it feels about the US's individual citizens. Greece hasn't been too thrilled with the US since the junta (late 1960's), and then pretty much lost any remaining fondness for us with the events in Cyprus (mid 1970's).

D_Sir Dancealot

1st Like
Media
alex8 said:
Is much of the world really "very anti-American" per se, or is "America" merely used in that formulation as a rather unfortunate shorthand for saying that one is against certain policies and political tendencies espoused by the current regime?

Because you can be certain that at the same time as launching "anti-American" protests, those same people are likely to be eating American fast food, watching Hollywood movies and US TV shows, buying American brands (or brands with pseudo-American names), and having at least a rudimentary knowledge of English that is likely to be American English (perceived as a 'global lingua franca').

Any nation that establishes itself in a defining position within the global arena (whether through rhetoric, popular-cultural hegemony, or physical incursions, etc.) is likely to be simultaneously embraced and villified... it's the two-edged sword of the old "What have the Romans ever done for us?" scenario in The Life of Brian. :rolleyes:

Specific dislike of policies and regimes for reasons that one can articulate is quite different from a blanket 'hatred' of a nation, which latter bespeaks a hugely over-simplified view of the world (which is nevertheless all too common - it's far easier to rally against a homogenized-yet-illusory single 'straw enemy' rather than stopping to differentiate those myriad disparate elements that one opposes); an over-simplified view which some might say is shared by the current US administration in its international dealings and pronouncements.
A number of very good points! So with the world changing and if you believe what the papers and TV say;China will be the the Worlds Number One Power in the next 5 to 10 years. Does that mean we will all talk Chinese, stop buying American goods etc. I dont think so.... The American Government must change their policies! But that easy for me to say. Looking at it from the Greek point of view (via my friends out there) they seem to think that America create the problem and countries like Greece have to tidy it up!

pyrat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Alex you are very articulate. There are a multitude of reasons, they cover the spectrum from plain old fashioned envy to systemic hatred. Why would a Brit even worry about it?

D_Sir Dancealot

1st Like
Media
sunsetapisto said:
I think a better question is - why is america the only country who obeys POW rules and other UN regulations and no one else does yet they all "hate us" and blame us for various world occurances.

This is the best country in the world, if you don't beleive it go live in Iran for a week. You'll be surprised how wonderful it is here. People want that freedom, and if they can't have it they'll simply hate it and pretend it's something it's not.

Wether you think that this country is run by corporations or not you still have freedom of speech, press blah blah blah

not everyone has that.

Freedom of speech ...yes. The U.S.A obeying the rules over POW's...Wake up! Have you forgotten about the hundreds of prisoners at the U.S base in Cuba..... They have been locked up there for 3/4 years. Or do you guys not know about that? Don't get me wrong. I like America etc and Im not anti American. The point I was making is one that can be clearly seen when you walk around the towns in Crete which is normally very laid back and the people there and fantastic..

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Stronzo said:
For your answer please go here.

You've (possibly inadvertently) hit the nail on the head, Stronz. The main reason it is despised and spit upon by the rest of the world is that the current American administration is Politically Uncorrect.

It speaks bluntly and cares little about kissing ass.

Expando1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You'll get a lot of dissimilar answers on this one...mostly, negative. But I don't think current opinions spell a dismal future for Americans or our involvement in world politics.

The US is just barely over 200 years old and in effect still maturing. I see the US as an adolescent in terms of our development as a nation. Like any teenager we make impulsive decisions which are at times damaging to others. We show a disregard for the concerns of others not out of malice but rather out of an desire to act on our convictions. We have poor understanding of the world at large yet are convinced that we know better and can make it better if only they would listen. Quite often our own convictions are so great we are unable to appreciate the possible outcomes of our decisions and actions. But like any teenager, our selfishness and the hurt and angst we cause our "world family" is really out of good intentions and a good heart. We just don't quite yet have the skills and experience to do better; just give us time, guidance, and patience to help us mature. It will happen but like the teenager in your house it may be a turbulent course.

D_Sir Dancealot

1st Like
Media
Expando1 said:
You'll get a lot of dissimilar answers on this one...mostly, negative. But I don't think current opinions spell a dismal future for Americans or our involvement in world politics.

The US is just barely over 200 years old and in effect still maturing. I see the US as an adolescent in terms of our development as a nation. Like any teenager we make impulsive decisions which are at times damaging to others. We show a disregard for the concerns of others not out of malice but rather out of an desire to act on our convictions. We have poor understanding of the world at large yet are convinced that we know better and can make it better if only they would listen. Quite often our own convictions are so great we are unable to appreciate the possible outcomes of our decisions and actions. But like any teenager, our selfishness and the hurt and angst we cause our "world family" is really out of good intentions and a good heart. We just don't quite yet have the skills and experience to do better; just give us time, guidance, and patience to help us mature. It will happen but like the teenager in your house it may be a turbulent course.

You should go into politics!

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Expando1 said:
But like any teenager, our selfishness and the hurt and angst we cause our "world family" is really out of good intentions and a good heart. We just don't quite yet have the skills and experience to do better; just give us time, guidance, and patience to help us mature. It will happen but like the teenager in your house it may be a turbulent course.
1) some would question whether invading a strategically located nation such as Iraq was really motivated by 'good intentions'.

2) Adolescents still need to be kept in check. A bout of "being naughty" in a family home can equate to something unspeakably devastating on a global scale. Germany, as a prime example, had never existed as a nation until 1871, whereupon - in an attempt to assert itself - it set about flooding world markets with cheaply-produced wares and grabbing as many colonies as it could (thereby introducing the first concentration camps in the world in German South West Africa). While still unstable and looking to define itself, it happened on the Jews as a homogenized "single straw enemy"... and the rest, as they say, is history.