Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LeeEJ said:
I live in the political center of the universe as far as Yanks are concerned, so I can say this with certainty:

Because we Americans are arrogant bastards who tell the rest of the world to fuck off if they don't like us.

Texans are worse.

Fuck You, I'm Texan! lol....Any country who is a superpower is going to be arrogant. History shows us this quiet clearly. France, England, Spain and Germanay to name but a few who at the heighth of their power, felt they were preordained to rule the world. We Amuricans are no different? Is it wrong, sure. Are we inherently evil for trying to control the world? I don't think so. We just suffer from the same visions of granduer that all of our superpower predecessors have suffered from....Oh well...Bush is evil...and HE IS NOT A TEXAN! HE IS A FUCKIN YANKEE ASS WANNABE TEXAN! SO FUCK YOU!...And have a good day! :biggrin1:

Desertwood

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
yorksguyuk said:
As some of you know. I was in Crete (which is an Island belonging to Greece) last week and there was loads of anti Amercan slogans all over the place. How can America improve it's worldwide image????? Do the American people and/or the Leadership not care about the rest of the world.......Unless oil is involved that is!!!! Most members on this site are American, so what do you guys think???? If you are from the rest of the world,reply also.

When I was in Greece 2 years ago I felt welcomed by almost everyone I met. However, almost everywhere I went I heard jokes about President Bush. I often had questions from people on why Americans voted him in. They did not seem to feel highly about our government but they seem to like Americans in general and sure do welcome our dollar! I love Greece. A great place to visit. I found the same kind of feelings throughout Europe.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
sunsetapisto said:
I think a better question is - why is america the only country who obeys POW rules and other UN regulations and no one else does yet they all "hate us" and blame us for various world occurances.

This is the best country in the world, if you don't beleive it go live in Iran for a week. You'll be surprised how wonderful it is here. People want that freedom, and if they can't have it they'll simply hate it and pretend it's something it's not.

Wether you think that this country is run by corporations or not you still have freedom of speech, press blah blah blah

not everyone has that.
We have done hateful things around the world and we are in turn hated for it. I am not saying that all of it is justified, but much of it is, and it has been obvious to everyone around the world.

Secondly, going to war in defiance of the UN, or showing blatant disregard for the Geneva convention in our treatment of POWs is nothing to be proud of.

Our standard for our country should not be set by comparing ourselves to Iran. Our standards are set forth by our Constitution and we are only as good as we are living up to them. When we are not, a patriot knows that dissention is his duty, not blind support of our shortcomings.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
JustAsking said:
Our standard for our country should not be set by comparing ourselves to Iran. Our standards are set forth by our Constitution and we are only as good as we are living up to them. When we are not, a patriot knows that dissention is his duty, not blind support of our shortcomings.

Yes!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
JustAsking said:
We have done hateful things around the world and we are in turn hated for it. I am not saying that all of it is justified, but much of it is, and it has been obvious to everyone around the world.

Secondly, going to war in defiance of the UN, or showing blatant disregard for the Geneva convention in our treatment of POWs is nothing to be proud of.

JA, I think if you read a couple of sunsetapisto's posts, you'll discover that he most definitely has blinders on. He claims we are the only country in the world to heed the UN and follow GC treatment of POWs? He's obviously not seen the history of any detainees at Guantanamo or Abu Ghraib. He also blasted me for posting a link to a Rolling Stones article. It's ok, I gave him my opinion.

D_Sir Dancealot

1st Like
Media
DC_DEEP said:
JA, I think if you read a couple of sunsetapisto's posts, you'll discover that he most definitely has blinders on. He claims we are the only country in the world to heed the UN and follow GC treatment of POWs? He's obviously not seen the history of any detainees at Guantanamo or Abu Ghraib. He also blasted me for posting a link to a Rolling Stones article. It's ok, I gave him my opinion.

Calm down boys!!!! Kiss and make up xx

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Still, we are not the only ones who have done some shadowy business. During the 70s and 80s, Italy pulled that nice double-deal, being a loyal NATO country on the one hand, supporting US troops with bases and buying military hardware from us, while at the same time they sold license builds of fighters and instructors to Libya, besides plenty of other industrial deals. Just so much, France sold weapons such as Exocet missiles and Mirage fighters to Argenitinia during their time as a military dictatorship, and later they sold Saddam Hussein fighters and SAM equipment, same with his infamous, and only, nuclear plant. Germany has delivered a lot of technology and equipment to Iran, things that are now in the use of their nuclear program. The list indeed goes on and on, I can't think of a country now that hasn't been involved in one of these dirty little cases.

So what do these countries do diffrent, and why does nobody wave signs and banners "DOWN WITH ITALY", or similar? Certainly the involvements between governments and the defense industry isn't weaker with them. The clients of the defense industry are governments, and government offices, so the strong link between both is part of the nature of this business. I think the difference comes from the extent to which the influence of the military-industrial complex has grown during the cold war. Doing arms deals with someone is one kind, but it is another to take active measures influencing the policy of a sovereign state.

I find nothing in criticism, but Anti-Americanism has become a fashionable attitude, and my haunch is that maybe half of the self-declared Anti-Americans can be taken apart by facts in an actual discussion. However, we also have our share of faults, with an administration that has helped building our bad image in recent years.

horribleperson said:
America is run by a bunch of large companies who have bought off "our elected" leaders so the leaders will due whats best for the large companies. and by best i mean brings in the most amount of PROFIT. and since the end of WW2 that mean supporting any evil nasty dictator in the world. (like that guy from iraq who we went after.) just look at what we did in Central and South America, Iran turned out great, and all those nice leaders we support in Africa. there was one man who told us all of this would happen to be Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States, he fortold of the "military-industrial complex." these are the companies that make money from war they build the bombs and guns and planes. these companies are run by SUPER GREEDY MEN who only want to one-up there billionaire friends. to see who has the biggest house, the most homes, and the richest car and coolest crap money can buy.

more will come later i have a hurricane to get ready for.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I remember that we have discussed at some length why the Islamic World is not too enamoured with the USA.

The Chinese still aren't too fond of any strangers on one level and on another I get the feeling that many in SEA resent the overbearing nature they encounter from US business people. If you live in grinding poverty, I can't imagine what you might think about our decadence.

Some Europeans are a bit snooty about you being the nouveau riche guys on the scene - particularly the nouveau pauvre ones. Then of course there are those who oppose the geo political behaviour of the States and though they may not always be the majority, they are the loudest. There is an element of over exposure to cheap bad TV which our networks can't resist because of the cost. I saw this thing called Judge Judy the other day, wtf is that doing on British TV?

I have no idea about South and Central America, and I know the Canadians and Aussies love everyone.

Of course you are also in the spotlight and everytime one of your 300 million citizens does something stupid, the world can get to hear about it - they don't report the noble things.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
yorksguyuk said:
As some of you know. I was in Crete (which is an Island belonging to Greece) last week and there was loads of anti Amercan slogans all over the place. How can America improve it's worldwide image????? Do the American people and/or the Leadership not care about the rest of the world.......Unless oil is involved that is!!!! Most members on this site are American, so what do you guys think???? If you are from the rest of the world,reply also.
A long and tough question. I suppose it has to do more with the fact that as a government, America is a violent empire in all but name and tends to love shouting "HUMAN RIGHTS" when ever someone is killed in another country, while foreginers and extradited under American juridiction.

Also have a penchant for starting wars and killing niggers.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
ClaireTalon said:
Still, we are not the only ones who have done some shadowy business. During the 70s and 80s, Italy pulled that nice double-deal, being a loyal NATO country on the one hand, supporting US troops with bases and buying military hardware from us, while at the same time they sold license builds of fighters and instructors to Libya, besides plenty of other industrial deals. Just so much, France sold weapons such as Exocet missiles and Mirage fighters to Argenitinia during their time as a military dictatorship, and later they sold Saddam Hussein fighters and SAM equipment, same with his infamous, and only, nuclear plant. Germany has delivered a lot of technology and equipment to Iran, things that are now in the use of their nuclear program. The list indeed goes on and on, I can't think of a country now that hasn't been involved in one of these dirty little cases.

So what do these countries do diffrent, and why does nobody wave signs and banners "DOWN WITH ITALY", or similar? Certainly the involvements between governments and the defense industry isn't weaker with them. The clients of the defense industry are governments, and government offices, so the strong link between both is part of the nature of this business. I think the difference comes from the extent to which the influence of the military-industrial complex has grown during the cold war. Doing arms deals with someone is one kind, but it is another to take active measures influencing the policy of a sovereign state.

I find nothing in criticism, but Anti-Americanism has become a fashionable attitude, and my haunch is that maybe half of the self-declared Anti-Americans can be taken apart by facts in an actual discussion. However, we also have our share of faults, with an administration that has helped building our bad image in recent years.

I'd easily argue that Italy isnt claiming the moral high ground going "We're going to SAVE THE WORLD FROM EVIL!" And so on. Anyway, selling weapons is bad? I'm amazed how much Brit technology has found its way into the middle east.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ClaireTalon said:
Still, we are not the only ones who have done some shadowy business .... I think the difference comes from the extent to which the influence of the military-industrial complex has grown during the cold war. Doing arms deals with someone is one kind, but it is another to take active measures influencing the policy of a sovereign state.
Claire,
Yes, I think you nailed it on that one. Certainly plenty of other countries do stuff in their own interests at the expense of others, but we being the lone economic and military superpower have done this kind of stuff with a much larger scale, and with a much larger effect on other people's lives. Like Walmart in the retail world our political actions are qualitatively different in their effect on the world simply because they are so quantitively different.

At the same time, let me disclaim a bit. I am convinced that extremists Islamic groups are hellbent on creating an Islamic state somewhere and rolling their clocks back to 400AD. I think we helped create the swamp in which some of this was incubated, but in no way do I excuse their actions. I am only recognizing our contribution to our own dilemma and holding our leaders to a high standard of wisdom and practice.

Calling that anti-American is like calling a parent anti-child because they criticize their childrens criminal activities and work to correct or prevent it. I dont think you were saying that, but I felt it was a good place to offer the analogy.

D_Sir Dancealot

1st Like
Media
ClaireTalon said:

Yes you are right, numerous governments including the British have done stuff they should'nt have. Britain is the second largest Arms seller in the world. I wonder where all that stuff goes to?

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Lordpendragon said:
I saw this thing called Judge Judy the other day, wtf is that doing on British TV?
You can sully international relations all you like on this thread, but leave camp icon Judy alone, dammit! :mad: :rolleyes:

"I'm here because I'm smart, not because I'm young and gorgeous!
Although I am!" [Judge Judy
]

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lordpendragon said:
I I saw this thing called Judge Judy the other day, wtf is that doing on British TV?
That is our revenge for you sending us Benny Hill and not making more than 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers. I mean wtf! More Jane Austen will never make up for that deficit.

The next step in the plan is to export religions fundamentalism to you so you can teach Creationism in your science classrooms. I understand its starting to work.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
alex8 said:
You can sully international relations all you like on this thread, but leave camp icon Judy alone, dammit! :mad: :rolleyes:

]

Judy is great.... ok back to topic... We can admire her giant cock on another thread.:rolleyes:

D_Sir Dancealot

1st Like
Media
JustAsking said:
That is our revenge for you sending us Benny Hill and not making more than 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers. I mean wtf! More Jane Austen will never make up for that deficit.

The next step in the plan is to export religions fundamentalism to you so you can teach Creationism in your science classrooms. I understand its starting to work.

Dont start on Jane Austen!!!! All of those women wearing the sexy dresses, no underwear and with their boobs out.Yummy. Anyone got some pics!!! hehe

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
alex8 said:

]
"Who made you Judge, Judy, and executioner?" [Homer Simpson]