Why is the world very anti-American????

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
avg_joe said:
:mad: Like it or not, some european countries hate America because America is far more better than those countries. Usually hatred comes from jealousy.

I remember MZ talking about the fairy tale. In reality the US came about twentieth in a world lifestyle study recently. Just about every European country came above the US.

Perhaps it's time that some of you woke up to your debt, lack of public healthcare, not so great education, crippling military spending and the accumulation of vast wealth in the hands of the corporate elite.

Oh and your athletes are cheats.

Max

Sexy Member
Media
Ker76 said:
But one of the point that leads to irritation especially in Russia is this claim that you singlehandedly defeated the Axis powers.

This claim (if it were ever made) would cause equal irritation here.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
BronxBombshell said:
You play computer games as well? A woman of many talents. :)

---------------
Gisella, you have a very valid and idealised point. But the thing is that no nation is altruistic, each has their own motives and with the same amount of man power and resources as the US, I'm not sure any nation would do better. The catch is, that the US is in the unique position of actually being a force for "good" rather than being a conveniant HQ for the companies (and REAL people that matter).

But anyway... blood for oil anyone?

Ker76

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Max said:
This claim (if it were ever made) would cause equal irritation here.

I didn´t mean this to be an official political claim of course. But I did hear it from a US girl a few years ago. She really thought all those other nations were basically playng arond with a few planes until the GIs came to save the world.

Well maybe it´s not good to take a cock-hungry, drunk slut in sleazy southampton (UK!) bar as the typical american. Possibly she was badly educatd.

But she had huge tits.
:biggrin1:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ker76 said:
But I did hear it from a US girl a few years ago. She really thought all those other nations were basically playng arond with a few planes until the GIs came to save the world.

Sad but all too true. Plenty of my countrymen learned from Hollywood that WWII began at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th 1941.

Ker76 said:
But she had huge tits.
:biggrin1:

My observation is that such an attribute is often expected to compensate for academic limitations. See above. :smile:

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
C'mon guys, this whole thread was a setup. The answer to the OP is "Penis envy". Hence its appearance here on LPSG, big joke, ha ha. So stop bothering the grownups, already.

AlbertCunning

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the world is very anti-USA these days, not anti-American. I wonder if those from Panama, Canada or Brazil aren't offended by the popular notion that USA equals America. Because it really doesn't.
America is a continent.
Or to be more precise: two continents.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think the world is very anti-USA these days, not anti-American. I wonder if those from Panama, Canada or Brazil aren't offended by the popular notion that USA equals America. Because it really doesn't.
America is a continent.

To name but three. But I'll hazard a guess that right now, they're more likely to be relieved than offended.:rolleyes:

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
America is a continent.

Yes, in a sense because is United States of (North) America, and much more offended with ignorance that to some US students we have 3 American continents: North, Central and South...and sure...with the notion 'South' of border of US as all of us are the 'same' and not unique nations with unique history...but we are the poor problematic neighboors..they are the rich 'brothers'...

I was thinking and looking at our maps one of these days how European are much more 'cozy'...most of you are economicaly at same level and have old cultures, and so many things...but when you look to American continent..we take 2 hemisferies..look at the sizes of Canada, USA, Brasil and Argentina...:eek: I wish we have closer relations as you have like European Union..but..well...is not possible we are not equal and closer as you are....:rolleyes:

But seems that at least Brasil is starting to making friendships with countries in the same situation as emerging economies in different places as India, South Africa etc...here we go, cool, making friends at same levels and trully exchange with each other...:cool:

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I think it's the hypocrisy, for one thing.

The main difference between the American "empire" and the British/French/Spanish/Roman/other empires is the hypocrisy. Empires are always hated by the rest of the world. Empire-states run their foreign policy to benefit the empire-state. The subject-states in the empire just have to suck it up and take it. Subject-states get the worse end of trading arrangements, sovereignty arrangements (both political and cultural) and military treaties with empire-states. Nonaffiliated states resent and fear the empire-state because they don't get to trade or deal freely with the subject-states in the empire (i.e. trade barriers, expess or implicit) and because they are worried about being forced into the empire.

So, hate is a given. Back in days of yore, of course, there was no CNN or BBC. Citizens of Madrid didn't get to see the Aztecs (and others) getting slaughtered by the Conquistadores. British citizens didn't see the full effect of the Raj on India. Early American citizens didn't see what happened to the Seminoles. And I honestly believe that a lot of those citizens wouldn't care, even if they knew what atrocities were being committed in the name of England, or Spain, or America. They believed they were superior to the people in the subject-states. Most people in the subject-states hated Rome, hated England, and hated America. And many if not most people in Spain, England and early America didn't know this, and if they did know, they didn't care.

Fast-forward to today, and the American empire is like any other empire. America has interests, not allies. The American empire is run for the benefit of America. Just look at who gets invaded (Iraq, Afghanistan) or diplomatically pressured (Cuba, Iran, N. Korea) and who doesn't (Chile, Zimbabwe). Look at the "free trade" agreements and GATT. It's not about bringing democracy to the oppressed, or overthrowing corrupt dictators. It's about supporting economically or ideologically friendly regimes, opposing the unfriendly ones, and ignoring the irrelevant ones. The rest of the world knows this. I think a lot of Americans know this, if they stop to think or admit it to themselves. But the U.S. government needs to keep the support of the rank-and-file Americans, so they play up catchphrases like "they hate our freedoms", "self-determination", "bringing democracy to (insert nation's name here)", and so forth. And a lot of Americans seem to prefer to accept the myths behind those catchphrases instead of facing the reality. That's the hypocrisy. It's fucking galling at times.

Another point - why the insecurity?

The British, so far as I could tell, didn't give a fuck whether the Indians liked them. Or the Boers. Or the Iroquois. They didn't need the reassurances. Americans, by contrast, seem really insecure. There are a lot of great places to live in the world - the Scandinavian nations, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and yes, the U.S., to name a few. Most people who live in these countries - or in any other "western" nation - have the financial wherewithal to move somewhere else if they didn't like it. Since none of these countries have disappeared, obviously their residents are happy enough living there. But for some reason, it seems that Americans are the most insistent that their country is "the best", and will expend the most effort in long, drawn-out arguments to this effect. It's almost as if they have to convince themselves of this, and it's really puzzling to the rest of us. I like where I live, I wouldn't really want to live elsewhere, and I don't give a damn whether you agree. But it's almost as Americans need assurances from the rest of us (or perhaps, they're trying to convince themselves?) that their country is a good place to live. And frankly, it gets damn boring - if you're so great, why do you need other people to tell you that? The rest of us don't care, honestly. There are lots of people in developing nations who will happily give Americans the reassurances they need that America is the "promised land" - the rest of us aren't interested.

Hawkeye333

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Most Americans could give a rats ass about the world. Do you think we care about the middle east out side of oil or Europe and the Euro?

But, I do have a problem w/ the C. America, S. America, Canada, and Europe. These countries play to the media hype on the world and local stage. I would venture to say the Democracy is the best form of gov't thus developed by man. If not, then prove it to me. I want you expertise on the subject.

People that bitch about size of country really should not even comment on this subject. How can a person bitch about size on this site? Just kidding! I did not see any correlation w/ the size of India, Russia, or China. But it does seem that we are the bad guys of the world. Yet, some how people outside the U.S. want to make an issue about our size. Sounds like most men on this site.

When was the last time France took a stand on anything, PASSIVE. They can not even control their own people. It is about David and Goalith in the world.

America was forced into the position after WWII. When other nations in the world could barely stand on their own feet. Two countries were left holding the world in their hands. One nation fell by the wayside. Thus America is left holding world peace in status qou. When will some other nation step forth. In the late nineties the was an chance for Europe to take charge.

Thus, is the question "Who else is better to lead the charge to freedom?"

What is freedom in the eyes of Americans?

Choice!!!

That is the basis of Democracy.

Do not give retroic about big business! Every country has their own big business to contend with.

Do not say anything about NATO! NATO would mean something if 20-30% of ones country military were conceded to NATO. US has the largest force in NATO, even though we do not have the largest standing or reserve army in the world.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When was the last time France took a stand on anything, PASSIVE. They can not even control their own people. That is the basis of Democracy.

Very telling statement there. Control of people. I thought the job of a government in a democracy was to represent it's people's interest not to control them.

I admire the French people in general they never put up with crap from their government. They are passionate folks and have no problem taking to the streets and letting the government know exactly what they think of their policies.

Perhaps if you guys were a bit more like the French then you would have done something about the Bush administration before now instead of bitching about it on a big dick site.

Food for thought.

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When the US Ambassador (I live in the "rest of the world") asked this question (in the title) during an informal conversation, the reply was: perhaps it had something to do with the President of the US?

Many of us feel that the ordinary people of the world has become markedly less safe because of the actions of the current US President.

How can America improve it's worldwide image????? Do the American people and/or the Leadership not care about the rest of the world.......Unless oil is involved that is!!!!

Many in the US (but perhaps not enough) do care that the US consumes 40% of the world's resources, and will most likely lead the world into a religious world war within the next 20 years. The US does not have a moral right to do either.

The Presidential response? "The American way of life is not negotiable".

Nor does the US have any right to take the moral high ground as an example of perfect democracy (reasons: low voter participation, the death penalty and human rights abuses, plus the lack of politically independent media).

These are not necessarily my views, but I feel this is a reasonable summary to answer the questions raised by the OP.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This 'passive' France views seems born in the foxnews network...boycot French stuff sentiments...I do miss in the US, news from different countries and source than the ones born in the US. I have just a bit of BBC news in my cable and I wish much more views than that...

I don't know how nations have to conform with US standards..they have their own unique cultures much longer than US. Are some in the US now trying to reform the old delicious France?:rolleyes:

It maybe that we share somethings in common like romance language roots... But at least Brasilians are much more close to French ways than Anglo...France is our second cientific technologic partner after the US and we have French Guyana in our border, we have a common border with France..we do have much warmer relations with France than US, and many exchanges going on between us.

I do agree about few countries in South America is going left and behaving strange..but many are center like Brasil...like democrats in US are mostly center left moderates too. I think.

Some have too stop and think when majority of the world was agaisnt US actions was not because of hate but because that actions were wrong and without a real cause. I dont think we have to agree blind with friends actions to still be consider friends...what kind of friendship is that anyways???:confused:

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If we want to improve our image with the rest of the world... actually giving a shit about what happens outside of the country would be a start. Most Americans, including our president, simply don't. The American who knows next to nothing about the outside world: history, politics, culture, geography... who has no intention or desire of ever travelling outside of the States because they feel the rest of the world has nothing to offer... is becoming an increasingly relevant cliché.

Other than that, maybe working to improve the country in some ways in which we are lagging far behind certain other countries (education, certain areas of medicine/science/technology, minority rights, etc) so that we can once again be a nation to be admired, emulated and aspired to... rather than a bunch of complacent laurel-resters who are content to be second-rate while still yelling "we're number one!" at the top of our lungs.

and our foreign policy could use a little more responsibility, a little more temperance, a little more conscience, a little less Amerocentrism, a little less unilateralism, and maybe fewer bombs. Once again, if we're going to act like we're the only ones with the responsibility and intelligence to babysit the rest of the world... we should earn this distinction not just announce it.

I think the country's biggest problem is its own successes. We turned the tide of both World Wars, we beat Soviet communism, we achieved a global cultural and militaristic hegemmony greater than any in the history of civilization.... and because of that we've as a nation become fat, lazy, egocentric, and complacent with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement. We live in excess, oblivious to everything going on around us, running up billions if not trillions of dollars in credit card debt while happily polluting our own environment. I think this country is in decline now and most are never going to realize it even if it continues to get worse. Because they can barely see beyond the borders of their own state or beyond the events of tomorrow.

Or as South Park put it: "over a third of the world hates America because you don't realize that a third of the world hates you" That was back before the war in Iraq started. If they did the same show today the quote would probably be at least "half of the world hates America..." if not more.

[edit] I'd like to add... I haven't yet read the majority of posts in this thread. If I had, I might be a little more defensive of my country, as I often get when I see foreigners bashing it (and often being as ignorant as the ignorant Americans they are attacking). There are great things about this country, too. Don't get me wrong. But I believe all of what I typed above and I really think we can do better. Hopefully this past election cycle was a step in the right direction. We'll see.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Any country who is a superpower is going to be arrogant. History shows us this quiet clearly. France, England, Spain and Germanay to name but a few who at the heighth of their power, felt they were preordained to rule the world. We Amuricans are no different? Is it wrong, sure. Are we inherently evil for trying to control the world? I don't think so. We just suffer from the same visions of granduer that all of our superpower predecessors have suffered from....

All good and true points that I like to bring up myself when discussing why America is evil with Europeans who seem to have no recollection of Napoleon or Hitler or Caligula or the Opium Wars or Jallianwala Bagh. Though that doesn't excuse our behavior... it just makes them seem stupid.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
It's a funny thing, given how bad this place supposedly is you'd think people would be leaving in droves rather than risking life and limb to make here their home.

oh yeah, perhaps unsurprisingly, I really like Merle Haggard.

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
oh yeah, perhaps unsurprisingly, I really like Merle Haggard.

One of these days when the air clears up and the sunlight heats our home,
I'll be drinkin' that free bubble 'ub and eatin' that rainbow stew....Merle Haggard!