Why isn't fish meat?

D_Bubba_Butter

Account Disabled
Media
Ok. I'm going to indulge in a bit of pedantry for a moment.

The fish thing is actually Jewish in origin & is associated with the Shabbat meal, hence being eaten on Friday. You need to remember that the early church was in fact Jewish, as was Jesus. This is one of those traditions maintained by the early church, with Christian-specific symbolism added at a later date. Like Christmas replacing celebration of the Sol Invictus following Saturnalia.

According to her, the cellular structure of fish are closer to plants than that of any land animal she had tried to eat. She was not a flightly girl, so I am inclined to believe her.

Sorry. This is not true.

Because they are not edible.

Also not true. Leather is just skin. Prisoners have been known to survive by eating leather. It's just a bit tough & could do with some seasoning.

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
My dad had an older Polish Catholic guy working for him. Sometimes on Fridays in Lent ol' Freddie would forget when he'd pack his lunch in the morning and pack a baloney sandwich. He'd pull out his lunch at the office and discover the error of his ways, set the sandwich down and sigh, and then make the sign of the cross over the sandwich and say, "Father, Son and Holy Ghost, you are now fish." And then he'd eat his "fish" sandwich.

D_Bubba_Butter

Account Disabled
Media
It's treated with dangerous chemicals. I would sooner eat a pair of jeans. :biggrin1:

You've never been a prisoner of war.

The finest leather is preserved using vegetable dyes & is perfectly edible. If you're a cheapskate & skimp on quality, you might give yourself a belly ache. I dare say jeans are also edible, though... :rolleyes:

tamati

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
The meat from the grocery or resturant is also treated with lots of dangerous chemicals, hormones and drugs....jeans are sounding better and better, now that you mention it.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Why isn't fish meat?

In commerce, meat is generally used by the meat packing industry in a more restrictive sense—the flesh of mammalian species (pigs, cattle, lambs, etc.) raised and prepared for human consumption, to the exclusion of fish, poultry, and other animals.

Meat don't swim and meat don't fly. But the real reason, silly boyz, is because MEAT is merely an acronym for Mammals Edible and Terrestrial.

D_Carl_Colossal

Experimental Member
Media
From a purely scientifical standpoint

fish is meat. :O

So i guess the question is why don't people recognize that. :p
Meh, wouldn't be the first time society has tried to phase out facts in order to better categorize something-- just ask people whether or not a triangle can be both isosceles and equilateral, or google search something like "subjective taxonomic classification".

I'm a pragmatist. I know it's meat, but I refer to it as fish and nothing else because it spares everybody the confusion. :D
-__-

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sometime many centuries ago, the Church decided that fishermen needed some extra capital, and so it was decreed that no one would eat meat on Fridays

When my dad arrived in the US for college, from Spain, he was surprised at the Catholic custom of meatless Fridays during Lent. Apparently many centuries ago the pope rewarded the Spanish for their loyalty and bravery in the crusades and the reconquista by exempting the whole country from abstaining from meat on Fridays. No one younger than 700 years old remembers having to forgo meat out of religious obligation.

What's odd in the US is how much the custom has affected secular society; we always were served fish on Friday in the public school cafeteria (year-round). No other option was available for non-Catholics.

Im a pisces, and pussies like eating my fish meat :)

That was a little on the nose..Someones gonna get the febreze...I know it.

SprinkleMe69

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I just ate a tuna fish sammich and had to floss my teeth afterward because of the MEAT stuck in between. Yup it's meat.

As for jeans, I want that slab of meat behind the zipper :tongue: :wink: