Why isn't homophobia get treated with the same tough measures as racism in football?

Moodley

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Being a POC, gay, and a football fan. I realized that homophobia in football doesn't get treated with the same strict nature as racism. I was always expecting a footballer to come out in 2022 but after reading up on it and watching interviews on it, it seems like this will never happen especially in the EPL. Just in the last year alone there have been so many homophobic chants coming from supporters and all the clubs do is send a 1 line message to the media and that's it. Recently Evra opened a can of worms with West Ham players and their homophobia in 2018 and David Moyes was like it's been 4 years and players can learn a lot in 4 years. such bull.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_association_football

David Moyes declines to comment on Patrice Evra's claims that former West Ham team-mates would reject gay players

heinz.friedrich

Expert Member
Media
Being a POC, gay, and a football fan. I realized that homophobia in football doesn't get treated with the same strict nature as racism.

In my opinion, the reason is that they want to make money. Money is more important than the human being for them. I think, they will do it, if they think it fits their agenda and they have the huge majority of the people in the world and the big companies that give them their money behind it.

You have the majority behind the topic of racism, so that does not harm their revenue.

Pantherrrr

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Forget everything I just said, I thought you meant American Football.

The world has always leaned towards fairer skin and looked at lighter skin as being rich or more important. This ideology was spread throughout the world by the Europeans and even the dominant cultures in Asia. Hell even in the Americas before the arrival of the Europeans the Native Americans thought of gods as lighter tone. As an African American that is just one of those blights. For some odd reason most people have a schema in which they associate lighter skin with positive attributes. Could be blamed on social aspects, biological or cultural aspects.

tsfan1

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
There is racism, antisemitism, homophobia.

After slavery, which is educated at schools, people realize that racism is not acceptable.
After holocaust, which is educated at schools, people realize that antisemitism is not acceptable.

Do they teach us that since the middle ages gay people have been persecuted? Yes, gay people have been burnt at the stake just like 'witches'. Do they they about all the anti gay laws that were created after the rise of christianity, also in colonies in Africa and Asia?

Do people know that jews AND gays were considered the lowest life forms in concentration camps in nazi germany? Gays were attacked by other groups in camps, also by jews. Jews AND gays had the lowest survival rate. Gays had to to the heaviest labor and lots of them died working. They were even used for target practice.

There is outrage now when someone uses the n-word and when a policeman kills a black person, there is outrage when someone spits at an orthodox jew. Where is the outrage when people say the fa-word? Where's the outrage when gay people in Chechnya are kidnapped and killed by government?

People dont care about gays. Society thinks all minorites are human beings who arent like the majority (black and jewish people arent white, muslims arent christian/atheist etc.). However they see gays not as equal human beings but as people who are perverted. (Their own mother and sister also sucks dick, but hey, that s okay, but as soon as a man suck dick then it s disgusting...)

That s why homophobia is only frowned upon: there isnt extensive education on gay oppression and.....people just dont give a damn.

Sad but true

Reactions: heinz.friedrich

heinz.friedrich

Expert Member
Media
People dont care about gays. Society thinks all minorites are human beings who arent like the majority (black and jewish people arent white, muslims arent christian/atheist etc.). However they see gays not as equal human beings but as people who are perverted. (Their own mother and sister also sucks dick, but hey, that s okay, but as soon as a man suck dick then it s disgusting...)

The Fifa and all the other football associations below make huge campaigns against racism, but they do nothing or less against homophobia. The American association has probably no problem but they are an US sport and the Fifa is wordwide and also the biggest sport in the world as a whole.

And every star is in those clips against racism or does support it otherwise: Messi, Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Pogba, Özil, Mbappe etc.

I think that is what he meant. The antiracism is everywhere in soccer, so they are doing something against that at least.

Moodley

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Fifa and all the other football associations below make huge campaigns against racism, but they do nothing or less against homophobia. The American association has probably no problem but they are an US sport and the Fifa is wordwide and also the biggest sport in the world as a whole.

And every star is in those clips against racism or does support it otherwise: Messi, Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Pogba, Özil, Mbappe etc.

I think that is what he meant. The antiracism is everywhere in soccer, so they are doing something against that at least.
True, go to the tweet from ManUtd to the kid that came out recently...its 99% pure homophobia coming from everywhere especially Africa and the middle east... dont think they will do anything to lose money from those markets

The world has always leaned towards fairer skin and looked at lighter skin as being rich or more important. This ideology was spread throughout the world by the Europeans and even the dominant cultures in Asia. Hell even in the Americas before the arrival of the Europeans the Native Americans thought of gods as lighter tone. As an African American that is just one of those blights. For some odd reason most people have a schema in which they associate lighter skin with positive attributes. Could be blamed on social aspects, biological or cultural aspects.

Lol, I also thought the topic was American football lol. #Murica. But as a black, queer, American football player I learned a while ago to be the hero you want to become. There are the gay games, gay sports leagues all over and at all different levels, support those. And you can still support the major sports leagues -- there's nothing wrong with having a problematic fav that isn't quite where you want them to be on a certain issue but they still bring you entertainment.

This isn't a struggle competition. It took generations for sports leagues to really talk about race as heavily as they do now. And a non-zero number of people will still get pissed and want to just focus on the sport. You see the same thing with sexism. Every so often you'll get a Serena Williams, Ronda Rousey, the US women's soccer team, and Megan Rapinoe but typically women don't get the same level of attention or investment from fans. This doesn't answer your question but it's unanswerable imo. Enjoy "football" if you so feel and if you feel like the homophobia is too rampant then you can maybe find a more inclusive sport. Rugby is great. Seriously the most progressive sport I've ever been around.

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Because in the minds of many, while a person's race is something not under their control, a person's sexual behavior *is* under their control.

Sexuality still isn't openly discussed in many places. And being anything other than monogamously hetero is actually punishable by imprisonment or death in some of the countries where futbol is popular, so it's "safe" to be openly antagonistic towards them.

It's a messed up world filled with messed up folks.

Pantherrrr

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I didn't know my comment would generate so much discussion, honestly it was 3am I was drunk tired and just posted. My first post doesn't make any sense at all lol. But anyway, people are homophobic, the world has not accepted that sexuality is fluid and on top of that some of the most homophobic people are people who aren't straight. There's just too much working against the world accepting sexuality.

Until people themselves can accept homosexuality or any sexuality that differs from straight, I don't think you're going to see it reflected in soccer or anything on a world stage.

Sexuality overall is becoming more accepted but the world is still revolving around hetero norms. Man and woman.

heinz.friedrich

Expert Member
Media
didn't know my comment would generate so much discussion, honestly it was 3am I was drunk tired and just posted. My first post doesn't make any sense at all lol. But anyway, people are homophobic, the world has not accepted that sexuality is fluid and on top of that some of the most homophobic people are people who aren't straight. There's just too much working against the world accepting sexuality.

Until people themselves can accept homosexuality or any sexuality that differs from straight, I don't think you're going to see it reflected in soccer or anything on a world stage.

Sexuality overall is becoming more accepted but the world is still revolving around hetero norms. Man and woman.
True, go to the tweet from ManUtd to the kid that came out recently...its 99% pure homophobia coming from everywhere especially Africa and the middle east... dont think they will do anything to lose money from those markets

It is in their religious books. Some things are true in those books, in my opinion. That God exists and magic is real and such stuff but a lot of the things are incorrect. like slavery, Muhammad for example was a slaveholder and supported slavery. That is not a law of Allah, that is a thing where he was manipulated.

As far as I know the Angels are androgynous and cannot reproduce. The story of Lot told that the men of Sodom and Gomorrah wanted to fuck them in the religious books (bible, Quran), so they were kind of sex addicted. Lot promised them their daughters but they wanted the Angels (which I also think is not what LOt did and is a flaw in the book). So the story is falsely reported.

You can be negative as a homosexual if you do not have sex out of love (you see the other not as equal and one). But that is also the case with heterosexuals.

You should still promote more love and antiracism in soccer, that is what all can agree with, probably someday they also accept homosexuals. There is still racism, so it is still important (autocratic countries are usually more racist than democratic countries). But that is not reported because they have no free press.

tsfan1

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
It is in their religious books. Some things are true in those books, in my opinion. That God exists and magic is real and such stuff but a lot of the things are incorrect. like slavery, Muhammad for example was a slaveholder and supported slavery. That is not a law of Allah, that is a thing where he was manipulated.

As far as I know the Angels are androgynous and cannot reproduce. The story of Lot told that the men of Sodom and Gomorrah wanted to fuck them in the religious books (bible, Quran), so they were kind of sex addicted. Lot promised them their daughters but they wanted the Angels (which I also think is not what LOt did and is a flaw in the book). So the story is falsely reported.

You can be negative as a homosexual if you do not have sex out of love (you see the other not as equal and one). But that is also the case with heterosexuals.

You should still promote more love and antiracism in soccer, that is what all can agree with, probably someday they also accept homosexuals. There is still racism, so it is still important (autocratic countries are usually more racist than democratic countries). But that is not reported because they have no free press.
R u saying homosexuality is allowed in islam and christianity

NotAfraidofHeights

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

The world looked at lighter skin as richer bc it meant you didnt work in the fields. Wth?

the rest is delulu ramblings

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So, I think there is some truth to this. What you have to remember first and foremost regarding football and especially the English Premier League is who the fans are. They are dominated by white working class straight men, and so prejudices prevalent in that group are going to come to the fore, which include both racism and homophobia. Additionally, there have also been a lot of gangs and hooliganism historically with those groups. The hooligan fans often have links with the far right. I think with the slow rise of prominent black footballers, campaigns to tackle racism in football have gathered pace. But racism is still pretty common, it just isn't as extreme as it used to be in the Premier League, there are however other European national leagues, especially in some Italian and Polish clubs, where it's as bad as it was 20 or 30 years ago. It's also changed in its expression over the last thirty years, in the 80's it was commonplace for black players to have banana skins thrown at them when they were playing, nowadays, you're more likely to see a minority of fans booing the England team taking the knee. Kicking out racism from football is still ongoing.

The campaign to tackle racism in football kicked off in the 90's, the campaign to tackle homophobia was quite a bit later in the late 2000's. And most importantly, there's been a hostile environment for gay players since Justin Fashanu came out in 1990. He faced severe homophobic abuse and ended up committing suicide. That put off players from coming out for many decades, and it was only this year that the first professional football player came out in the English leagues (but in the Championship, and not the Premier League itself). I think though that the culture has been changing slowly, David Beckham was happy to be a gay icon, players kissing on the pitch to make a statement against homophobia, and the England captain wearing a pride armband. But a lot more needs to be done.

Moodley

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So, I think there is some truth to this. What you have to remember first and foremost regarding football and especially the English Premier League is who the fans are. They are dominated by white working class straight men, and so prejudices prevalent in that group are going to come to the fore, which include both racism and homophobia. Additionally, there have also been a lot of gangs and hooliganism historically with those groups. The hooligan fans often have links with the far right. I think with the slow rise of prominent black footballers, campaigns to tackle racism in football have gathered pace. But racism is still pretty common, it just isn't as extreme as it used to be in the Premier League, there are however other European national leagues, especially in some Italian and Polish clubs, where it's as bad as it was 20 or 30 years ago. It's also changed in its expression over the last thirty years, in the 80's it was commonplace for black players to have banana skins thrown at them when they were playing, nowadays, you're more likely to see a minority of fans booing the England team taking the knee. Kicking out racism from football is still ongoing.

The campaign to tackle racism in football kicked off in the 90's, the campaign to tackle homophobia was quite a bit later in the late 2000's. And most importantly, there's been a hostile environment for gay players since Justin Fashanu came out in 1990. He faced severe homophobic abuse and ended up committing suicide. That put off players from coming out for many decades, and it was only this year that the first professional football player came out in the English leagues (but in the Championship, and not the Premier League itself). I think though that the culture has been changing slowly, David Beckham was happy to be a gay icon, players kissing on the pitch to make a statement against homophobia, and the England captain wearing a pride armband. But a lot more needs to be done.
I dunno if i agree with that, I am black and gay... when i was came out it was to my white friends and they where cool with it... the black community wasnt at all supporting. In my life i have had more homophobia amongst black ppl than with white people. thats my life experience maybe different with other people....young Jake Daniels only received a hand full of public support and now its a thing of the past..so many refs came out in recent weeks and nothing, dust from the media....so sad... it seems like unless a gay person is murdered in the most violent way than maybe the gays will have the same level of attention

Reactions: NotAfraidofHeights

tsfan1

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I dunno if i agree with that, I am black and gay... when i was came out it was to my white friends and they where cool with it... the black community wasnt at all supporting. In my life i have had more homophobia amongst black ppl than with white people. thats my life experience maybe different with other people....young Jake Daniels only received a hand full of public support and now its a thing of the past..so many refs came out in recent weeks and nothing, dust from the media....so sad... it seems like unless a gay person is murdered in the most violent way than maybe the gays will have the same level of attention
Exactly what i was saying. People dont care about gays. Insults, intimidation, some physical abuse: it s all ok.

There has ti happen something extreme that cant be overlooked like a murder to get attention

Reactions: 777tttt

HorseHung40's

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Pro Football will only care, if it perceives that it can profit from taking a zero-tolerance stance on homophobia.

Look no further than corporate America, flying its pride flags every June. We all know that the straight, white and likely sexually repressed and unattractive men, running the show only started flying pride flags, when it feared it would lose market share and profit if they did not fly one.

Reactions: Milkdudd

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the percieved nature of the sport in question is going to be the prime indicator of its stance on homophobia. I can't speak for overseas but given the dynamic in the US, I think a gay soccer player would be quite well received, as opposed to American football, baseball, or basketball player. The three latter are closely intertwined with hetero masculine attractiveness here, wherein the former carries that abroad.
I think what gets forgotten a lot of times, because it is so easy and appropriate to identify straight men as the culprit, is that a lot of our spending either goes towards women, or is at the behest of women's desires....and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you found direct correlations in various sports wherein the attractiveness of the male athlete to women en masse dictates the level of homophobia present in that sport. The more attractive the man on average, the more averse male fans will be to homosexual men finding a place there; whereas sports that have male athletes that don't typically trigger the attraction of the average woman are much more willing to be allied with the LGBT community. My guess is as pro soccer(football) players are pretty much the echelon of non US male athletic attractiveness, is why the homophobia persists...Meanwhile we could find out the entire men's Canadian curling team is gay, and nobody would really blink an eye.