Why Kucinich Dropped Out

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why Kucinich Dropped Out

A guest post from our own Will Saletan about the exit of Dennis Kucinich from the Democratic race:
Why does the man who endured humiliation through the entire 2004 primary season drop out this early in 2008? I blame the wife. He didn't have a wife last time. The wife is the person who tells you, "Honey, it's time to drop out."
I disagree with this statement. I like his politics but he has failed miserably in every state. :redface: I think he was just cutting his losses.
-------------------------------------------------

Democrat Kucinich Quits White House Race

[SIZE=-1]By JOE MILICIA
[SIZE=-1]The Associated Press[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Thursday, January 24, 2008; 11:04 PM[/SIZE][/SIZE]

CLEVELAND -- Democrat Dennis Kucinich is abandoning his second, long-shot bid for the White House as he faces a tough fight to hold onto his other job _ U.S. congressman.
In an interview with Cleveland's Plain Dealer, the six-term House member said he was quitting the race and would make a formal announcement on Friday.

"I will be announcing that I'm transitioning out of the presidential campaign," Kucinich said. "I'm making that announcement tomorrow about a new direction."
Kucinich has received little support in his presidential bid; he got 1 percent of the vote in the New Hampshire primary and was shut out in the Iowa caucuses. He did have a devoted following.

Kucinich, 61, is facing four challengers in the Democratic congressional primary March 4, and earlier this week he made an urgent appeal on his Web site for funds for his re-election. Rival Joe Cimperman has been critical of Kucinich for focusing too much time outside of his district while campaigning for president.

His decision comes a month after the death of his youngest brother, Perry Kucinich.

Kucinich said he will not endorse another Democrat in the primary.

Kucinich brought the same sense of idealism to his second run for president as he did in his first bid. He said he was entering the race again because the Democratic Party wasn't pushing hard enough to end the Iraq war.

Once dubbed the "boy mayor" of Cleveland, he made an unpopular decision to refuse to sell a publicly owned utility that pushed the city into default and drove him from office.
After the city's financial troubles, the mayor faced death threats, and was forced to wear a bulletproof vest when he threw out the first ball at a Cleveland Indians game. He barely survived a recall vote.

But he lost his bid for re-election as mayor of Cleveland in 1978 to Republican George Voinovich, who went on to become governor and then U.S. senator. His life and his political career were derailed. Kucinich spent more than a decade trying to get back into politics _ traveling around the country and then working as a teacher, consultant and television news reporter.

In 1994, Kucinich was elected state senator and he then won a seat in Congress in 1996. His once unpopular stand against the sale of the municipal electric system was praised as courageous. In 1998, the Cleveland City Council issued him a commendation for having the foresight to refuse to sell it.
During his time in Congress, Kucinich has been one of the most outspoken liberals, opposing international trade agreements like the North America Free Trade Agreement and marching with protesters in Seattle during a meeting of the World Trade Organization.

As a presidential candidate, he has proposed a Department of Peace, backed universal health care and supported gay marriage. He also pushed for impeachment of Vice President Dick Cheney.

At a debate last October, Kucinich delivered one of the night's lighter moments when he confirmed seeing an unidentified flying object at the Washington state home of actress Shirley MacLaine. With a smile, he said he would open a campaign office in Roswell, N.M., home to many alleged UFO sightings.
Kucinich married British citizen Elizabeth Harper, in 2005, ensuring his 2008 campaign would have one dramatic difference from his first campaign. Kucinich told New Hampshire audiences during the 2004 race that he was seeking a mate. Women then vied for a date with him during a contest arranged by a New Hampshire political Web site, but nothing romantic evolved from Kucinich's breakfast with the winner.

© 2008 The Associated Press

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Uhm. Whatever. His wife aside, I always thought he had good ideas, but never seemed to have ther inner charisma to deliever his views over to people. In the video age, you need to sound and look and project certain qualities.

Rudy Guliani lacks a few shades of these too (there was a thread about him that got pulled).

thoreau

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think he stepped aside because he said what he had to say. I don't know if he personally knew he didn't have a snowballs chance either now or in '04. I suspect he did but despite that I think he felt the need to express the spirit of his convictions.

In the world of professional politics his campaign was over before it started (in my opinion) but he felt he should stand and voice his position while others in his party sought the support of the moderate electorate to win the nomination he expressed his own ideas and beliefs that wouldn't curry him favor in an election.

I agree with him on some things and disagree with others but I admired his courage. I think for him winning the nomination was secondary; what was primary in his mind was utilizing the opportunity of a presidential election to have a forum for debates and news coverage so that his contenders and opponents would have to speak to the issues he and his constituents care about. And then shift the election from popularity/ likability/ electability back to the issues and he endured the humiliation of inevitable defeat for that reason.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DK was done when they didn't let him debate. For all intents and purposes anyone other than Obama and Clinton at this stage is only in it to see how much influence they really have in controlling some aspect of their destiny when one does win. For a name, that would be Edwards. He's thinking he can be either's VP running mate or he can sway enough influence towards who he endorses when he drops out. If it's still close enough, he can make or break the other.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Kucinich is well liked in his congressional district, here in Ohio. He knows almost every constituent by name and he always seems to be where the action is. No one in his district would ever accuse him of not caring (except while running for President).

Wry, sly, and slick to know. :wink:

It's too bad that Fred Thompson and Dennis Kucinich weren't the two nominees and then we decided to do away with the electoral college and just decide the presidency by whomever's wife won in a mud-wrestling contest.

I like Kucinich. I would have loved to have seen a Paul/Kucinich ticket. I actually lean more toward Kucinich's views than any other candidate. It's a pity America won't wake-up.