Why many victims of rape never go to the police or turn in their accuser.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
phil, it was an english survey so i doubt we're talking about the same one...i'm far to lazy to look it up though.

and you only know that two women have admitted it to you.
and to themselves.
i went a whole decade before properly admitting it to myself, let alone telling anyone else.

...the fucked upness may have been for that reason in her case but it has to be clear that some women are destroyed even when they've done nothing anyone could consider as foolish or provocative. everyone copes differently. these things can't be predicted.

Oh, I agree. I am not in any way suggesting that women who have difficulty dealing with it had contributed in some way...
I mean only to suggest that the difficulty in dealing with it often has more to do with one's own personal mental makeup than with the particulars of the event.

And to point out that the scope of what is called rape is currently a pretty broad brush, and ranges from cajoled sex or impaired consent, all the way to violent and murderous acts of purest violence.

For example... I would not consider what happened to me to qualify as rape-
But many would.

If you count all molestation, which is seldom violent, as rape, then, yes, probably a third of BOTH men and women have some experience...

I know about a third of the men I know had some form of molestation experience under the age of 15.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
One thing I am sure would be worse than a world where people commit such crimes as rape... and that is a world where the accusation of a crime is all it takes to convict a person.
i don't agree that false accusations are as common.
had you known me and my rapist, had you been his pal, i'd put money on you taking his side.

but i agree with the bit i quoted.
the law isn't psychic.
guilty men HAVE to walk free. innocent until proven guilty is how it must be, and often proof is just impossible.
unless someone invents time travel or a mind reading machine the odds will be stacked against the victim.

no increase in the reporting rate will change that.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
i don't agree that false accusations are as common.
had you known me and my rapist, had you been his pal, i'd put money on you taking his side.

I doubt that...
In college I lived in one of the very first co-ed dorms at my university. In fact, it was just a single floor of an 8 story dorm that was coed.

One of the girls on our floor got date raped at some party thrown by a guy on our floor who was a friend of ours.

When my roommate and I found out about it, we organized a bunch of us to go out to the parking lot where he had his mustang parked. It was winter, and we broke in and filled the car with snow and then poured water into the snow until the entire interior of the car was a solid block of ice.

When another group of guys on the floor saw what we were doing and asked why... they went further, they went up to the guy's room, broke in, destroyed everything he owned and pummeled him pretty soundly... then they threw him naked out into the parking lot and told him he would have to live elsewhere.

The message was clear... no other girl in that co-ed dorm was ever mistreated in the two years I was at that school.

As a group, the guys on our floor would not tolerate mistreatment of women by other guys.

But then, we were not in a frat.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
PS-
By false allegation I do not only refer to willfully false accusations.
Everytime a woman who really was raped mistakenly identifies the wrong guy as her attacker, that is also a false allegation.

I am not implying a legion of women trying to throw innocent men in jail...
Most false allegations are rooted in honestly erroneous identifications.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
PS-
By false allegation I do not only refer to willfully false accusations.
Everytime a woman who really was raped mistakenly identifies the wrong guy as her attacker, that is also a false allegation.

I am not implying a legion of women trying to throw innocent men in jail...
Most false allegations are rooted in honestly erroneous identifications.
stranger rapes are pretty rare.
it's just easier for society to think of monsters in the dark with knives.
most women know exactly who raped them...usually someone they thought they could trust.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
One more thought.

As stereotypical as it sounds, after a rape, the person feels "dirty". What do you do when you feel dirty? You go have a shower, to clean yourself and get rid of that feeling.

I suspect people don't even realize they are washing away alot of the evidence. After they are thinking clearly, some realize there is no evidence/proof left and they will be discredited.

Also, as mentioned above, sometimes you know the rapist, which causes you to second guess yourself (did I flirt too much?). That does make it a lot harder.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
One more thought.

As stereotypical as it sounds, after a rape, the person feels "dirty". What do you do when you feel dirty? You go have a shower, to clean yourself and get rid of that feeling.

I suspect people don't even realize they are washing away alot of the evidence. After they are thinking clearly, some realize there is no evidence/proof left and they will be discredited.

Also, as mentioned above, sometimes you know the rapist, which causes you to second guess yourself (did I flirt too much?). That does make it a lot harder.
like you've got cat shite in your mouth.
but you can't wash it out! no, you need to sit with it in there a few hours while someone takes swabs and pics.

galaxus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
why do you assume it's about shame?

just another stereotype you're peddling there i'm afraid.

Because every exaple mentioned in this thread bring up that words "shame" and "guilt". Are you really saying these feelings are stereotypes?

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Because every exaple mentioned in this thread bring up that words "shame" and "guilt". Are you really saying these feelings are stereotypes?
i'm saying that your assumption that every victim who doesn't speak out is acting out of shame is total bullshit.
you have an idea in your head of how they feel and how they're motivated. you're spouting this sermon about shedding the shame, when you've no idea what motivates them as individuals.
of course lots of them feel shame. perhaps even most.
but your assumption that we ALL hide because of shame is insulting...turn us all into your generic victim, all feeling the same way.

that several people used the word 'shame' in this thread, several of whom had not been in that situation, is proof of universal truth? please! :rolleyes:

galaxus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't know personally, but from all the stories I've heared from this site and from my friends, to me it seemed like shame, guilt, and and fear of being called a slut motivates them to bury it.

I can only talk about what happen most cases. I can only talk about the things society can fix. I can't talk about each and every individual situation.

We can change culture. We can change the way that people think about those who cry. No more of "she must be a slut because he couldn't have done that" or "She must've been asking for it".

penisadvantage

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My point is this.. There is no use to turn to police, cause all the get is shame and guilty. At my country, raper only got jail for 3-6 months. All those raper was, those basXXtard that didn't have any work, at jail they got place to stay and got food to eat. So if got jail, they will do it another time..

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
stranger rapes are pretty rare.
it's just easier for society to think of monsters in the dark with knives.
most women know exactly who raped them...usually someone they thought they could trust.

Yes, but the date and acquaintance rapes are the most nebulous and over-reported- and nearly ALL willfully false accusations are by women trying to injure someone they know...

Women very seldom knowingly accuse the wrong stranger.

I know a man who was accused of "date rape" who did no such thing because I was there and I witnessed it. It was a party, and yes, she was plastered to the point where she seemed perfectly willing to engage in sex...

She was flirtatious, pulled off her own dress, fell on the couch and grabbed HIM.
Clearly, her ability to give consent was impaired.
However, HE was even MORE plastered than she was... meaning his ability to discern that neither was in a good condition to be making such choices was just as impaired.

And yet this woman wanted to accuse him of a crime for taking advantage of her, despite the fact that he was no more cogent of his actions than was she.
( in fact, he had a girlfriend, and would never have fondled this other girl if he had been sober )

It is precisely this kind of over-reaction on the part of the minority of women who can not take responsibility for their own actions, that undermines the reportage of REAL date rape, and of real molestation by acquaintance or family.
Women seeking victim status, or a political agenda have diluted the very meaning of the word rape. And no consideration is given to the fact that men can have their judgement impaired by the same circumstances that impair a woman's the Man must exercise perfect judgement because women can not be asked to be responsible for their own?

Like autism... rape is NOT on the increase... what is increasing is the number and scope of things we call rape.

This is why I can not include molestation under the umbrella of rape.
Most molestations are in the form of seduction, influence and gradually applied pressure. Most molestations are serial, multiple assaults that go on for long periods of time. Most molestors try to get their victims to go along, to accept, or to even believe that they are engaging in the activity of their own choice... molestors mess with your mind long term.

And molestations are most often not someone thwarting your adult will. They are victimizing children who have not yet even formed any idea of consent or choice in these areas... they subvert your will rather than assault it.
Molestors are generally sexually driven, whereas rape is usually driven by rage and feelings of powerlessness. ( In therapy, rapists generally reveal that they feel women have all the power and choice over their lives and that is the source of their violent response- they are not attacking women out of pure hatred nor evil, but because they feel like they are 'getting back' at women for the many injuries they have suffered from women- rape is imagined by rapists as a form of gender vendetta )

As such, molestations are entirely different than rapes, and result in an entirely different psychological response. I would even separate out molestation from Child rape... Child rapists are not the same as molestors.

I think one path to reducing the incidence of such things is to make sure we resist the tendency to muddle our definitions of what constitutes a rape.
Women who have been violently assaulted should not brook the inclusion of drunks getting frisky as equivalent to what they endured.

We need to be clear that rape is not the same thing as making bad choices and getting taken advantage of.

Most young boys who get molested, like me, are maneuvered into it by someone taking advantage of our intense and naive sexual curiosity. And most of us willingly travel TO the site of molestation.

I would never place what happened to me on a par with a woman being forced physically into sexual submission.
Sure, it messed with my mind... but it wasn't the same effect as violence.

Today... many do not report rape for a host of reasons... not least of which would be the feeling that everyone will roll their eyes and wonder what the person really means by rape.
When an 18 year old boy can go to jail for "rape" and spend his life on a sex offender list just because the High School sweetheart he makes love to is 17, people will always entertain doubts as to the possible culpability of the victim.

We need to stop overreacting to sex across the board... and that will make what constitutes real sexual assault much clearer.
And that will make the line we expect men to tread much clearer, too.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, but the date and acquaintance rapes are the most nebulous and over-reported- and nearly ALL willfully false accusations are by women trying to injure someone they know...
what a pile of shite.

date rapes are the most under reported. most victims say nothing to anyone because they know that people will assume they're lying.
and 'i knew a guy who...' does not prove most women who report it are liars.

most date rapers never even go to court because it's almost impossible to prove she said 'no'.
and he thinks they're selfish for not wanting to face attitudes like yours?

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Here is a short list of reasons why people *MIGHT* not report:

They are ashamed the sex happened.
They are scared it might happen again.
They are worried that opening up about it may cause it to happen again.
They don't like the feeling of being violated and some of them feel they might deserve it, which leads to repression.
They don't want to be labelled as a slut or a tease (in the ridiculous chance that others feel it happened because she was teasing the guy)*

*Sounds dumb, but a friend of mine was raped by a guy and when she told people, most people just brushed it off, claiming she was a slut and she sleeps with everyone, so why was this guy different*

And, according to my wife, who did rape crisis aid via the phone, is that for a longest period of time, you (women) had to report to a male cop and give out your story. They were unsympathetic or amused.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
what a pile of shite.

date rapes are the most under reported. most victims say nothing to anyone because they know that people will assume they're lying.
and 'i knew a guy who...' does not prove most women who report it are liars.

most date rapers never even go to court because it's almost impossible to prove she said 'no'.
and he thinks they're selfish for not wanting to face attitudes like yours?

Interesting how you flip from agreeing to disagreeing despite the fact that my position is consistent.

I did not mean to say that actual date rapes are over reported... I meant to say that FALSE allegations of rape are almost always date rape scenarios... i.e. someone the woman KNOWS who she wants to impugn.

And I mean to say that a lot of what is reported as date rapes are, upon investigation, a case of TWO drunken idiots doing something ONE of them regrets later. Meaning that date rape is often exaggerated for reasons of self absolution.

This is not to say that real date rape does not occur, a LOT, nor that most women who experience one will elect to not report it.
It is to say that OF THOSE THAT ARE REPORTED, admittedly a tiny fraction of actual events, a disproportionately high percentage will be questionable. Enough to give the society as a whole a general sense of doubt and suspicion.

Please understand that I am not dismissing the seriousness, nor the prevalence of rape- per se... I am trying to examine why the public response to rape accusations is so generally adverse... why the societal response seems so incredulous and ready to further traumatize the woman making the claim.

I am not saying I agree with nor endorse that this is how it is...

Rather the opposite. I am saying that women who make false allegations or exaggerate their claims do a disservice to women who really are victimized.

I am saying that if you were violently assaulted, you should not encourage a woman who had sex under circumstances of ambiguous consent to claim that she, too, was raped. What happened to her is NOT equivalent to what happened to you.

That is not to say that it's ever okay to take advantage of a drunk woman's impaired judgement. it's to say that we need a classification of wrongdoing that does not conflate regrettable inebriated experience, or unethical conduct with real violence.

We need society to discriminate accurately between a forcible rape, and something less traumatic if we want society to treat rape without whispers and doubts.

I am not by any means excusing any man who does anything without cogent informed consent. I have never had sex with a woman who was drunk, no matter how eager she seemed at the time, because I was raised to believe a gentleman did not do such things...
And I think all men should be held to that standard.

But does that mean classifying a drunken groper as a "sex offender"?

Let me ask you...Dolf
The drug dealer who raped my friend undoubtedly committed a crime.
I would prosecute him and toss him in jail...

However, do you think my friend, as a woman, bears ANY responsibility for what occurred?

She made a day long and determined effort to FIND an ethically questionable man, she accepted hundreds of dollars worth of drugs, meals and favors, she gave him every impression that his expenditure in time and attention and money would be reciprocated in the form of sex.
And She willingly went to his apartment, and engaged in sexually exciting and enticing activities and waited until that very moment to tell him no...
Knowing full well what he expected, and knowing full well that he was under the influence of drugs...

Do you think that any of that scenario acts as a mitigating factor in the man's punishment?

How was his poor impulse control any different than your own in maiming your attacker?

I think women are as intelligent and as capable as men, if not moreso.
I think they can and should take equal responsibility for their actions.

My friend never reported the rape. She told me that, while what he did to her was wrong... she understood and accepted that she had a part to play in what happened... and she could not stand up in court and say she was blameless.

Seems to me your attacker never accused you of a crime in maiming him because he felt and accepted that he had given you just cause.

Is it possible that many unreported rapes are women who, while not excusing their attacker... are neither excusing themselves?

And to be clear on how I feel about this personally... There are times when I feel a woman can deserve a good punch in the mouth over their behavior... but that has nothing to do with their gender...
I would punch a man in the face for the same thing...

But any time a man, in getting back at a woman or women in general, takes out his dick to hurt her... THAT is misogyny. That is rape. and that is criminal.
To me, it falls under a hate crime. An intimidation of an entire gender.
And I think it is up to men to beat the shit out of any man they see doing such a thing.

Last edited:

serbhabibmix

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'm offering possible answers to your question:

The Raper takes advantage of the Rapee due to intoxication. Rapee doesn't consent to this but goes ahead with it because too drunk to put up a fight. Raper fucks the Rapee. Rapee later liked it but at the same time felt violated but at the same time liked it. It goes unreported.

The Raper takes role play way too far. Rapee is feeling pain but cries his/her way thru it. Raper does without consideration and finishes without consoling. Its the raper's last time with this person and the Rapee feels it indirectly; crying for a couple of days also not wanting to get EVERYONE involved (police, relatives, family, friends, etc). Days pass, each one is out of sight, out of mind. Life goes on. It goes unreported.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
And, according to my wife, who did rape crisis aid via the phone, is that for a longest period of time, you (women) had to report to a male cop and give out your story. They were unsympathetic or amused.

And you can't tell me that particular peice of information makes anyone want to report.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
most women tell a friend or family member first.
if they get a bad reaction, accusations of lying or inciting it, they're going to doubt that anyone will be on their side...especially a cop.

B_Castello

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I dont know the answer of your question, but there is this girl I know and she was raped. She told me her story, she ws 18 at the time (it didn't happen in the USA or Canada). One night after a evening out, she went back home with a friend, and his friends (or accointance) she felt asleep in the back seat. When the driver drop the last person (except her) she decide to move in the front seat, just to be polite. Then, he kept driving very far, she knew she was in trouble. he then stop in a little wood, rapped her and was extremely violent to her, and she fight him back. At one point, while he was penetring her, he had the belt on the neck strangling her, she was looking at the sky and thinking, this is it.

He didn't kill her, and she says, it's problably because of the witness (the people he drop before) and because she moved to the front seat, he took this as a invitation.

She went back home, full of blood and scare all over her. Her mom and friend took her to the hospital and file a police record.

She didn't want to take the guy into court, cause she didn't want to tell her personnal story in front of a jury and a people she didn't know. But, everybody told her that would prevent another rapping. So she decide to go ahead.

Remember this did not happen in the USA or Canada. Anyway, in this small communauty where she was, the native are related to one and another (somehow), the defence of the rappist was: She like hard sex... and she lost. She was miserable and with many regret to had gone to the court. He was released.

In the next year, that same guy commited a murder and was arrested and charge of murder, he is now in prison. She says, I'm very happy he is there even if it's not because of me.

But the very sad thing, is if the guy would have been in prison because he had raped her, someone life would have been safe. So it is a terrible story.

I dont know if that story can apply to some woman whom have been raped, but maybe, many of them are scared...