why men wear long swim wear instead of reg swim wear

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by rlit195908, Aug 23, 2008.

1. rlit195908

rlit195908 New Member

hi i just came from the florida beaches and most women had on bikini and all the men had on long leg swim wear ? why is that men don't wear the regular old style swim wear with 1- 2 inches seam shorts. My feeling is that men might just wear there regular jeans to the beach. I wore the short style swim wear there and was the only one.

2. bark

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yea, I've noticed the trend for a while and seen it in other areas too. It's similar to some men's "styles" which include extremely baggy and saggy jeans and double X large shirts on guys who could fit in a medium. While women are wearing everything skin tight all around. Where I live (college) men's shorts usually reach somewhere just above the knee. Women's shorts usually reach somewhere slightly below the crotch. I was walking behind a girl at school today whose camel toe was clearly visible through an extremely tight pair of jean shorts! The new men's college basketball uniforms are so outragously long and baggy it looks like the guys are wearing skirts. Real cool.

**In the following, I will not be refering specifically to YOU or anyone you know, so before you even try to play the "offended card" on me I'm telling you now, my following words are generalizations**

Anyway, I'm not sure all the reasons why it's this way for each individual, but I suspect it may have something to do with the differing roles men and women hold in society. Women are cast more as sexual objects while men wield most of the power. Attractiveness in women comes from their looks. Attractiveness in men comes from their power, status, or money, etc. It comes down to what attracts the opposite sex. Men value looks; women value status. Thus, women are more likely to wear revealing clothes in an attempt to attract men. Men can afford to be modest as women aren't as attracted to a fine ass as much as a fine career, confidence or stability. Further, the women's looks represent fertility and child-bearing fitness (large breasts and broad hips on a trim waist) while the men's status and confidence represent supportive fitness or the ability to provide safety and supprt for the mother and her child. Ultimately, these are all just generalizations or averages, and there are plenty of men and women who defy these observations.

There are several perspectives from which to approach the idea: cultural, sociological, psychological, and my favorite, biological or evolutionary. They all say the same thing from a slightly different angle, which is something similar to what I laid out above.

But what's really wierd to me is how the trend is increasing lately. As you mentioned, the "old style" men's shorts were much shorter. In my opinion part of the new trend is due in part to the increasing prevalence of hip hop culture which accentuates the sexual symbolism of women and the dominate power of men. Rap videos are notorious for their scantily clad women, while the men in the same videos wear the baggiest and saggiest of any clothes I've ever seen. Yet, there very well could be many more explanations that I've over-looked. Lot's of non-hip hop styles follow the same trend, but few would deny that hip hop culture has been a trend-setter.

#2 bark, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  3. rlit195908

rlit195908 New Member

thank you for your reply. men should be proud to show off more of ther body. other country men still wear speedo to the beach.

4. hotspeedos

hotspeedos New Member

I think this is a really interesting topic. A few observations/comments:

The Olympics have been amazing. In beach volleyball why do the girls wear bikini bottoms and small tops, while the guys wear long shorts and full vests? Even more incredibly, in athletics some of the girls are now wearing bikini bottoms. I was watching one long jumper yesterday, who had a top just big enough to carry her number, bottoms with around one inch sides and long socks! She was a wet dream! Having said that, a lot of the guys are wearing extremely form-hugging lycra shorts and tights - both in athletics and swimming.

On the beach I think a lot of guys cover up because they are scared of being rubbished by the girls. You have to remember that women are a LOT more critical and articulate than men. Girls will get together and discuss the physiques and sexual performance of boys in the most lurid detail (as we now know from Sex and the City!!!!!). Women can be very catty of course, but at rock bottom they will stick together and defend their right to wear whatever they like - while rubbishing most men for their dress sense.

Women - at least British/north American women, French/Italian women are rather different - don't like admitting, especially to men, that they like looking at a man's body. I don't entirely agree with Bark on this point. Yes, women definitely look for wealth, status etc in a man - but they also look for physical prowess, the ability to give them children. Clinical studies have shown that women are massively aroused by looking at the 'engine room' of a man's body: a flat stomach, powerful legs, muscular buttocks - and of course the obvious. So although women like to 'put their own goods in their shop window' they are often acutely embarassed at acknowledging the attractions of the male physique. Except when they are safely among other women watching the Chippendales ...

5. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    Here in southern California it's the same thing. Most guys wear board shorts that go below the knee. Most women wear bikinis. I guess men are just more self-conscious about their bodies than women. :rolleyes: The only men I notice wearing shorter swim wear are usually foreign people on vacation. (I can hear them speaking European languages.) I wear the old style swim wear. I should probably be wearing speedos. :wink:

6. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

It hasn't always been this way. at one time guys wore much briefer styles including speedos and thought nothing of it. now they are afraid to undress in front of even their closest male friends because of a severely overstated sense of modesty.

eventually the pendulum will swing back and guys will wear reasonable clothes.

7. camchain

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i think i know...if you have a 18'' soft penis, you have to put it someware..he-he
    in spedos, all the way round the wast..

8. camchain

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    on a serious note. when i go on holiday for instence, i like to get as much sun as i can.
    and a bloody good tan, now i ware spedos for the beach and the pool. i don't see
    the point in going all that way, to stay coverd up, and get half a tan.
    i have the same as you men, so i have nothing to hide.

9. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

J, you're most likely one of the few guys I know who could actually get away with wearing speedos. You've definitely got the body for them.

10. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've enjoyed wearing gym shorts as swimwear for many years. Since the '90s, nylon mesh shorts have been my favorite. With a 6" - 8" inseam, there is more than adequate coverage without being ridiculously long and the drawcord keeps your suit on in rough surf. The lightweight mesh fabric doesn't feel cumbersome in the water. The boardshorts that I've bought have never had drawcords, and I've had big waves pull my boardshorts off more than once.

11. vietballa

vietballa New Member

Blame this on modest, conservative parents.

12. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

I have long swimwear, I have short swimwear... If I just want to enjoy the water without taking some laps, then I wear my surfershorts. But when I want to take some laps, I wear speedo's.
    Don't get angry at us, fashion suggest us these kind of shorts, why not wear it.

13. mplsingleguy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    it's good motivation to get in shape- no one questions a buff guy with a tight body choosing either a speedo or squarecut (spandex) for swimming laps for legit workout.

As said before, not long before fashion will swing back to allowing men to wear speedos as regular beach attire as well- HOWEVER with the ozone layer dissapearing maybe a bit of coverage from the sun isn't a bad thing.

I've basically given up on trying to maintain any kind of tan. It's just not worth the risk. Just not being pale is good enough for me.

14. ManTubeula

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Is this really a debatable topic?...

From all the responses...I guess so...

I'll toss my hat in... I'm a pretty fit guy, i guess i should be one of those in a speedo or short shorts according to most of you guys posting...but i really don't think it necessary. To me, i wear what's comfortable... unlike most, i'm not at the beach tryna get a tan, i'm not tryna train for any specific swimming event, never am i concerned if i'm accommodating the newest summer fashion trends and neither am i worried about how chicks will perceive me...I'm usually just there to have a good time...

And i have a good time when i'm comfortable...

Draft saved Draft deleted