Why Obama is a good president.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
If a white person resembled Dr. Zaius, would it be racist?

If there were a centuries-long tradition of comparing white people to apes, as part of a larger dehumanizing agenda of enslavement, oppression, and discrimination, then yes, it would be racist.

If.

EDIT: Or in another words, what sargon20 just said. :smile:

Last edited:

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If there were a centuries-long tradition of comparing white people to apes, as part of a larger dehumanizing agenda of enslavement, oppression, and discrimination, then yes, it would be racist.

If.

Just making it clear, but if someone does look like a Planet of the Apes character it isn't automatically racist.

Right right right. Exactly how daft are you?
Research indicates that associating blacks with apes is deeply embedded and has disturbing effects.

Race and the ape image

No shit genius, I was asking you a goddamn question. Answering it instead of reverting to some high-horse superiority complex would have been preferred.

D

deleted15807

Just making it clear, but if someone does look like a Planet of the Apes character it isn't automatically racist.

No shit genius, I was asking you a goddamn question. Answering it instead of reverting to some high-horse superiority complex would have been preferred.

This:

If.

EDIT: Or in another words, what sargon20 said. :smile:

We can also include oraslut's reference to 'swinging from the trees'. He's banned now and I hope for the reason we're discussing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horrible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Right right right. Exactly how daft are you?
Research indicates that associating blacks with apes is deeply embedded and has disturbing effects.

Race and the ape image

I am not at all surprised that you jump at any chance you can to make an attack personal Sargon. In a way, I am glad I never followed through with putting you on ignore.

But, let me get this straight; You are calling me racist? Right?

Maybe you need to reread the rules of the political forum, and brush up on what is acceptable to post here within said forum.

Is it lonely up there on your high horse Sargon?

There are many other comparisons of Michelle to other animals, as well as a myriad of other politicians and animals including monkeys. All of the pictures comparing GWB to Curious George, you would consider "racist" as well?

It is called satire, not hate speech.

I know you have such deep seated hatred for me, and would like nothing more than to try to tear me down at every twist and turn. But, try and not take everything so seriously, you'll like life a little better if you do.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

Again, let's be clear. The comparison of GW Bush with Curious George is not about his being white. It's about his being an idiot.

The images of Obama as a chimp, or a pimp, or a loin-clothed native with a bone in his nose . . . well, you can figure those out for yourself.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Again, let's be clear. The comparison of GW Bush with Curious George is not about his being white. It's about his being an idiot.

The images of Obama as a chimp, or a pimp, or a loin-clothed native with a bone in his nose . . . well, you can figure those out for yourself.

Actually no, plenty were because he looks like a chimp. There's all the ones with his cheeks puffed out and his ears sticking out.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

Not dodging; I misunderstood you. Sorry.

I thought you were talking about the times *Obama* has been compared to a chimp, trying to maintain that it wasn't racist. My mistake.

All I'm saying is, it doesn't matter how many times Bush was compared to a chimp, that doesn't make it okay to use that same comparison with Obama. Because there is a whole long, sordid history of black people being likened to apes, and any such comparison nowadays can't help but carry that taint.

And of course, the people who put out these images of Obama know this full well. It's no accident that these images are racist. It's entirely intentional, a cynical attempt to exploit the worst of human impulses.

And it should be pointed out for what it is.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not dodging; I misunderstood you. Sorry.

I thought you were talking about the times *Obama* has been compared to a chimp, trying to maintain that it wasn't racist. My mistake.

All I'm saying is, it doesn't matter how many times Bush was compared to a chimp, that doesn't make it okay to use that same comparison with Obama. Because there is a whole long, sordid history of black people being likened to apes, and any such comparison nowadays can't help but carry that taint.

And of course, the people who put out these images of Obama know this full well. It's no accident that these images are racist. It's entirely intentional, a cynical attempt to exploit the worst of human impulses.

My original point is it CAN be racist, but that doesn't mean it always is.

D

deleted15807

EXACTLY

It's incredulous to believe otherwise even insulting. The people who use these images know exactly what they are doing and it's no accident.

How about some Obama Waffles? There's nothing wrong here. Right? :rolleyes:

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Where's that retard face smiley when you need it...
You guys are not for real saying that whenever Bush was compared to pictures of chimps, burned in effigy, and made fun and ridiculed daily, it was justifiable, but one picture of Obama and a chimp and OMG RACISM??!!

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My original point is it CAN be racist, but that doesn't mean it always is.

Life is full of double standards, and you don't have to agree with them in order to recognize that they play a huge factor in how we interact with each other. Rappers routinely use the "N" word, but I don''t allow myself the privilege. However, I routinely use "faggot" verbally, as does the overwhelming majority of my friends, and it's used sometimes casually, sometimes sarcastically and sometimes pejoratively, just as rappers use the word suggested above. We've earned that right.

If you call a man a bitch (or even a cunt) it means something entirely different from when you use those terms to describe a woman. That's just stone-hard reality, really.

I did not respond to Horrible's having posted his image comparing the First Lady to a chimp because I understood that he was being needlessly provocative and I wasn't gonna give him the satisfaction. Besides, the "satire" is flat and pretty lame anyway. But it's undeniable that people with African features have been depicted for centuries as sub-human, simian beings and repeating such images carries far uglier connotations than when the observation's made regarding someone with European features.

Much as I loathed GWB, I never denied that he was human, and those stupid, lazy-minded chimp/Curious George "satires" (personally, I preferred Mr Pretzelnut myself) didn't, either. They are not comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.