Why so many gays ?

Discussion in 'Sex With a Large Penis' started by Sheva, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Sheva

Sheva New Member

Albums:
    well reading your posts I see a several gays telling their stories. I'm a bit surprised with all these gays, maybe they're many more we think. I just wnated to ask you : in your states gay people are free to live and to walk around the street as etero , or they've to hide their personality ?
    I ask you this to understand ... I live in a country where they usually have to hide and are discriminated at work.

2. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    Being "Gay" in any country has problems. Being "Straight" in any country has problems. All civilizations have people who do not display their sexuality. All civilizations have people who openly display their sexuality.

It all depends on the personality of the person. Some are introverts and some are extroverts.

No problem, it just depends on the type person you are. I have no problem with individuals of any community - gay or straight.

3. Sheva

Sheva New Member

Albums:
    it was just a curiosity , I'm etero !! ;)

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

Sheva, to answer your question, this site is probably not representative of the States as a whole. This is a gay-friendly site, for the most part, as it was begun and is largely supported by gay men. As much as I would love to report that our country is a place where all men and women are free to live their lives as they see fit, I am afraid it is simply not the case. Not yet. I am hopeful for the future. Come in and add your views, you are most welcome!

5. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I agree that being openly gay has its down side, but it is much easier than most of those who've rarely peeked out of the closet realise. I'm not trying to criticise those who must, for some reason or other, stay in the closet; I realise that there are situations where that is necessitated. It's a shame, though. I hope they get a taste of freedom at some point.

As for why there are so many gay members here: I don't think that it's all due to gay preoccupation with size, as some might suggest. That may well contribute to why many gay men have a look at LPSG to begin with. But we quickly come to realise that here we're allowed to be open about our sexuality without a fear of being slammed for it. It may the only taste of that freedom that some experience.

6. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    Great posts, Zora and DMW!!

No, the tolerance here on the LPSG is not fully representative of the US at large, but it's one of the most refreshing things about this site.

Steve (straight but not narrow)

7. Imported

Gold Member

VladtheImpaler: Homosexuality is becoming more acceptable all the time in the US. I expect that gay marriage will be legal in every state in a few years. TV and movies are quite sympathetic to homosexuals. All of this is a happy trend in my opinion. I'm not gay, but I don't think the government should be involved in people's sex lives, and I think that homosexuality is as "normal" as heterosexuality.

I can say on a personal level that in my life I've worked with three gay men at different times; all were pretty openly gay, and were treated completely fairly by fellow co-workers (no harrassment that I know of, anyway). And I live in a rural part of New Jersey. I'm sure that in the cities the atmosphere is even more tolerant. That's not to say there aren't bigoted jerks here in the US also (we have our fair share, sadly), but it's not socially acceptable anymore to be openly anti-gay.

8. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Reading this thread, I think of Margaret Cho's impersonations of her mother:

"Dadddddddyyyy... he had a fuhrennn (friend) who was a-gay... and Dadddy and his fuhrennn, they went on a pickunick (picnic) ... wha, wha is with gay men going out in cuntreee (country) and going on pickunick. So Daddddy'su-gay-fuhrennnn tell him one dayyy, he say, 'I.. looooove you!' ...and Daddy pawnccch heeeem (punched him) in faaace.

So... murah (moral) of storeeee (story), if you have a friend who is'a-gayyyy, and he tell you he loooove you, don't pawncch heeem!"

9. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, this site is gay-friendly. Remember, GodHatesFags.com's also based in the States. Ultimately, it varies from country to country: In South Africa, the ANC's new, non-racial constitution bans some anti-gay discrimination, mainly because the white South Africans who supported them were mostly homosexuals. However, neighboring Zimbabwe takes a much different view, saying that homosexuality was invented by the white man. What's ironic is, in both cases, colonizers were the ones who put the first sodomy laws in place.

So, Sheva, what country are you from?

10. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

I'm gonna go way out on a limb and guess that gay men are more likely to seek out websites where the main topic is big dicks.

11. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69:
    Not if Bush gets his way :angry:

12. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe New Member

And don't forget John Ashcroft. He needs to be replaced.

13. Sheva

Sheva New Member

Albums:
    Ok

I'm italian

In my country gays have often to hide , most in smaller cities , where mentality is still very old.

anyway I don't like gays in the sense that I wouldn't approve their marriage , but nothing against them

14. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: Italian, I always thought Europians were more open minded than us Yanks

15. Sheva

Sheva New Member

Albums:
    I don't know , maybe northern european .

In southern europe catholic religion is strong.

But in Spain the new goverment plans to allow gay marriage.

Anywyay my point of view is that maybe there are many more gays we think ... cause they sometimes fear to show their nature.

16. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

In northern Europe openness about being gay is common ... especially in the Benelux countries and Scandinavia. Amsterdam is the gay Mecca of the world. You thought San Francisco was? Visit Amsterdam and you'll have to reevaluate your thinking. In France, it depends on where in France you are. Northern France is more accepting in general than southern France. Spain has been much more tolerant of sexual issues since Franco's death. I never encountered anti-gay prejudice in Spain. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, but I've never found it ... except in the police officers. The island of Ibiza is a veritable sexual playground for gays and straights. Spain is a hugely Catholic country, but remarkably accepting of gay people. Italy is, sadly, as Sheva described. It is a beautiful country, but peopled largely by a close-minded group. However, you can find gay men in Rome, Florence and Venice if you know where to look. When I visited Italy the first time (while I was single), I never had problems finding a willing partner, but it took more work.

17. Imported

Gold Member

BRMSTN69: Well DMW looking at your avatar I don't think you would have trouble finding a willing partner anywhere, no matter how homophobic the culture may be.

18. Imported

Gold Member

VladtheImpaler: Re: European tolerance, that's not always the case. I have a friend who visits Turkey often and has a Turkish boyfriend, and she says that the Turks regard gays with a mix of amusement and disgust. On the other hand, Turkish men also think nothing of hugging other men, walking arm in arm, etc.. She explains that the Turks regard being gay as so strange and rare that it's considered OK for men to touch other men, because no one would ever come to the conclusion that such behavior implied homosexuality :wacko:!

Then again, many in Europe don't consider Turks to be "real" Europeans, though the Turks beg to differ.

19. Imported

Gold Member

kenny: as part of a younger generation than many of you this is all seems so weird to me, why would you punish someone for their sexuality??

rest assured the world is moving in a better direction where all typese are welcome :)

20. jonb

Gold Member

Well, the Catholic Church is strong in Latin America too, but only the receptive partner's considered a pervert. That double-standard goes back to ancient Rome.

As for "more gays", the statistic of 10% applies to those who are a 5 or 6 on the Kinsey scale. Ultimately, the fact of modal distribution means that most people will be to some extent gay; it all depends. I'm like a 1, DMW's like a 6.

Draft saved Draft deleted