Why the aggression and attitude?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Like the Westboro gang, eh?
Precisely.

But I think a lot of my frustration is because I have always been turned off (way off) by "peer pressure" type tactics. If someone offers something to me, and I say "no, thank you," I expect them to take me seriously and believe me when I say I don't want it. It does not matter if it's church or a slice of pie or alcohol or recreational drugs. I don't want to be nagged, cajoled, or harrassed.

I saw a funny commercial a while back, I don't even remember the product advertised, but the whole thing was a mish-mash of symbols, and the guy was saying something about "have a happy ChristmaKwanzUkkah.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I agree with novice_btm. Merry Christmas is a fairly harmless greeting. People don't expect an unusual comeback. Not that I would mind. I get pretty bored with social convention myself.

I lived in Hong Kong long enough to have a working background in Cantonese. There the standard greeting is (in Yale romanization), sihkjo fahn mei a? Which means, have you eaten yet?

I suppose it may come from times when because of the feudal system many people starved every year. Now it's just as meaningless as how are you? If you say, no, I'm hungry, it comes across as humorous or flippant or impolitic, depending on the recipient. But I didn't get upset every time someone asked me have you eaten yet?

They think "How are you?" sounds stupid.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dxj, it is not the casual greeting from a stranger that I consider to be aggressive, it's the people who know I find the holiday offensive, and still say it. To me, that does suggest aggressive and intentionally offensive behavior.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well shit.

I just made a buttload of Happy New Year/holiday cards and I hope no one gets offended. If they do I'll cut their heads off.

But that wasn't my point. I try to avoid saying Merry Chistmas to people because I absolutely hate it that people assume that the entire universe is Christian (or should be). The excuse that it's now a secular holiday donesn't fly with me. Plenty of people don't celebrate said secular holiday because they aren't Christian. I think it's a lack of consideration on the part of the speaker to wish everyone a Merry Christmas without knowing whether they actually celebrate the holiday.

I don't advertise or proselytize my spirituality to others because it's so personal to me-- I don't want to share it with everyone because it just doesn't seem right or necessary. I'm not sure why so many people feel a need to push religion on others. I don't know that most people saying "Merry Christmas" are trying to do that on purpose, but some really are. Some people think it is their personal duty to bring whatever crackpot ideas they have about God to the world. My uncle hands out bible tracts. I want to smack him when he does that. Offering people warmth and comfort is wonderful but that's not what handing them a poorly written pamphlet does. I don't know what the hell he and others like him are thinking. My religion is not up for discussion unless I initiate it.

With all that said, I still like making holiday cards because it's thoughtful and something to do to connect with people that I haven't in awhile. Last year I went with a Santa and reindeer theme because it worked for the photo, but this year I opted for a New Year's card since I wanted to strip from it any religious/Christmas association. For the most part we all use the gregorian calendar so I'm thinking that it's more generic and less likely to offend or exclude, but still offers a nice greeting. I like that the new year can symbolize renewal and rebirth. Also I can send them out a week later than Christmas cards.

Anyway. My 46.24 cents.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for your post, Snoozie! Have you ever wondered if the ones who try to convince me to celebrate christmas by telling me I should "celebrate the secular aspects of the holiday" are at the same time the ones who advocated a Wal-Mart boycott?

Retailers urging Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas?-Truth! & Fiction!

The Catholic League stirred up a whole lot of hatred in November 2005 because Wal-Mart wanted to make their merchandising more "inclusive", and Jerry Falwell did the same with Target. Our "fair and balanced" friend, Bill O'Rielly did several segments, on air, on Fox Nexs, castigating Wal-Mart for its decision.

RoyalT

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's Festivus for the rest of us.

i DO love Christmas trees though.

I think as an adult, I wont practice Christmas any longer. I should have to buy people presents every year.

My friend made up a joke about Christmas trees:

What's the difference between a guy and a christmas tree?
Girls like fucking christmas trees

I think he was on something when he came up with that one :rolleyes:
I didn't find it funny.