"Why the Glans? What purpose does it serve?"

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Anyone care to disagree with my answer to this question, posed by the esteemed Moderator of The Visualiser.net - Compare your cock!..??

"I think that men have a head for the same reason that they have nipples. In developmental terms, the glans derives from the clitoris, and they are functionally similar in that they serve as foci for nerves that are important in copulation -- in women, to facilitate reception/penetration of the penis; in men, to trigger ejaculation during penetration.

In other words, the head's at the end of the shaft because that's the part that goes in the girl because that's were you need to nut in order to make babies!

Ejaculative force and sperm mobility make length in this regard insignificant. It is interesting to note, however, that human penis size is proportionally larger -- by a lot -- than any other primate. I think this, too, has very little to do with evolutionary fitness models..

...to summarize:

1) Men need to ejaculate for fertilization to be successful
2) Fertilization is most successful from vaginal penetration
3) Nerve stimulation triggers ejaculation

Consequently, nerves are concentrated in the area most likely to penetrate the vagina: the tip. Ergo, the glans.

The specific shape of the glans also favors penetrative sex -- nerves are concentrated along the basal edge of the glans, which "flares" outwards, promoting sensitivity to "reverse thrusts" -- ie the "pulling out" motion -- which facilitates constant/repeated penetration, again which facilitates successful fertilization.

The specific location of the penis (and therefore glans) is partially constrained by our evolutionary history and embrionic development as essentially "female.""

Last edited:

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've read somewhere that the shape of the head pulls (other men's) semen out of the woman's vagina. Evolutionarily speaking the man with the nice flare shaped head would have an advantage in passing his DNA on because he would pull other men's semen out more than men without the nice flared shape would pull his out.

I don't buy this completely.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Sperm competition is a weak answer, at best, I think. The level of promiscuity it demands is unreasonably high -- tabloids, et al, notwithstanding.

Far simpler, I feel, is the "Dick Goes Here" hypothesis...

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've read somewhere that the shape of the head pulls (other men's) semen out of the woman's vagina. Evolutionarily speaking the man with the nice flare shaped head would have an advantage in passing his DNA on because he would pull other men's semen out more than men without the nice flared shape would pull his out.

How?

Naturally a man is uncircumcised. Which, means that the glans will be covered or partially covered by the foreskin when withdrawing, right?

Secondly, have you ever had seconds - after someone or after yourself - and pulled any semen out? I certainly haven't!

I will go with.... "3) Nerve stimulation triggers ejaculation"

I've read this as well but can't seem to place it where. It sounds a little over the top however it helps explain why it is shaped the way it is. I lean over to the high enervation of glans supposition to ensure that ejaculation gets triggered and fulfills our biological need. Any other theories on the why it shaped so?

hung

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hung has also read that the glans can also pull on the back stroke the sperm left by a previous ejaculator.

We must remember that in former days, way back when, males had wives and also concumbines. It goes to reason that females also had several lovers. The idea of intercourse several times in an evening was entirely possible for females, just as it is today.

Yes, this concept can also generate an ego trip, but what is wrong with that?

As regards the glans being covered with foreskine, I can assure you that the normal foreskine retracts upon entry. It can also slip and slide as it strokes. I know mine does.

So we all have now been exposed to "Glans 101."

Max

Sexy Member
Media
I go with the nerve endings theory too. Not at all with the 'sperm wars' theory.

Somehow tension seems to be the key (at least in my case) for the maximum sensation in the glans. The combination of tightness caused by a girthy shaft and the extreme tension at the end of a very long and deep inward stroke as the skin is strongly pulled back is IMHO just about the most powerful aspect of being very well endowed.

There's also the smoothness of the glans skin, which helps insertion; and the barb effect, especially where the base of the glans spreads a lot wider than the section of shaft just behind it. Once you are in you stay in.

The shape and size of the head must also play a role in the partner's experience ... it would be good to get a woman's point of view on this.

liberia

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I thought everyone knew that the function of the knob at the end of your dick is to stop your hand slipping of the end.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...to summarize:

1) Men need to ejaculate for fertilization to be successful
2) Fertilization is most successful from vaginal penetration
3) Nerve stimulation triggers ejaculation

Consequently, nerves are concentrated in the area most likely to penetrate the vagina: the tip. Ergo, the glans.
But it doesn't explain the shape of the glans. You could have all the nerves on the tip but not have a glans.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That was one of the most "bullshit" articles I've ever read.

The glans is where sperm comes out of? Wow how did you learn that because I had no idea.

The article explains nothing and what it does state is obviously apparent.

B_Austin Blue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Isn't the glans shaped the way it is to help ease entry into the vagina once the penis is fully erect? Upon erection the foreskin slides back off the glans entirely or partly and the bullet shaped glans then slides in easily due to its shape?

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interesting article here (http://www.epjournal.net/filestore/ep021223.pdf)

I was hoping the article would show raw data of how much the penis scoops out, but it did not. THAT is what I want to find. However, the article seems to definitely point towards the sperm displacement theory.

I think it is interesting how the article points out how even when we feel that our woman is cheating on us (or after being apart from your woman and the possibility of her being with someone else), we thrust harder and deeper. In theory, this is because we want to get our sperm in further and thus less likely to be scooped out by the rival male. While I've never experienced sex post-breakup or with cheating in the air, I can definitely see this as being true (thrusting harder and deeper).

The article also talks about a few other interesting subjects - refractory period, premature ejaculation, foreskin, and fertilization by proxy.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Interesting article here (http://www.epjournal.net/filestore/ep021223.pdf)

I was hoping the article would show raw data of how much the penis scoops out, but it did not. THAT is what I want to find. However, the article seems to definitely point towards the sperm displacement theory.

I think it is interesting how the article points out how even when we feel that our woman is cheating on us (or after being apart from your woman and the possibility of her being with someone else), we thrust harder and deeper. In theory, this is because we want to get our sperm in further and thus less likely to be scooped out by the rival male. While I've never experienced sex post-breakup or with cheating in the air, I can definitely see this as being true (thrusting harder and deeper).

The article also talks about a few other interesting subjects - refractory period, premature ejaculation, foreskin, and fertilization by proxy.
This theory, if we want tp call it that, doesn't into account what happens when sperm is released into the female. the sperm having entered the female immediately swims toward the uterus in hopes of being the sperm that gets there "first." Unless the rival male has sex with the woman within minutes of the first gay, he will be too late. All the scooping out at that point by another man's penis will be be of no use.

I have no idea why the human penis is shaped the way it is. Why are some bigger than others. Why are some men taller than others. Genetics and nutrition play a role in this. Other than that, I don't know.

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This theory, if we want tp call it that, doesn't into account what happens when sperm is released into the female. the sperm having entered the female immediately swims toward the uterus in hopes of being the sperm that gets there "first." Unless the rival male has sex with the woman within minutes of the first gay, he will be too late. All the scooping out at that point by another man's penis will be be of no use.
Sperm making it to the egg is not instantaneous, so I think you are over-simplifying it here. Sperm can survive inside a woman's body for about 5 days. This is more than enough time for another man to come along and try to "scoop" some of those out. Conception only happens when an egg comes out of the follicle and meets those sperm. The egg will only live a maximum of 2 days before it dies, if it is not fertilized.

So, say that Guy A deposits sperm on Sunday. This means that his sperm will die on Friday. If Guy B comes along on Wednesday and deposits his sperm and scoops Guy A's sperm out, and then the egg is released on Thursday, then Guy B has a better chance of fertilization than Guy A, right? Otherwise, if there was no scooping, then theoretically Guy A could fertilize the egg on Thursday when it is released.

On another note, it takes, from what I read, 6-8 hours for the sperm to swim from the cervix to the fallopian tubes (sperm swim 1" per hour, and the distance is about 6-8inches). So again, this is not instantaneous. Furthermore, nobody knows where the egg will be fertilized. So the lucky "winner" could be one that is available to be scraped out.

What you think?

Unless the rival male has sex with the woman within minutes of the first gay, he will be too late.
Freudian Slip?