Why was CigarBabe banned?

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you do want to catch up with CB it will be the only place to go. I haven't posted there in a long time, but I do on occasion read a few threads.

Well maybe I'll do that...there must be another fake JasonDawgg there by now or JasonDawg1 or JasonDawg2 or JasonDawg3........:biggrin1:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Let's be fair about this. Yes, it DID exist before he was banned here. He told me that he had a suspicion that he wasn't going to last much longer here. However, when he sent me my invitation (yes, I was one of the original two, Zora, being the other, and yes, I still have the email about all of this, in case someone tries to revise history), there were four of us there; BD, an admin account, Zora, and me. The only thing being discussed there was... THIS PLACE. More joined, and... more discussion of... THIS PLACE.

Now, continuing on the streak of fairness, it has evoled a great deal past that, it really has. Nonetheless, to be completely clear, the original topic of conversation THERE, was all about HERE.

I continue to fail to understand why this is a big deal. I can talk about this place while I am at any other place. And I can talk about any other place at this place (except that particular place). This place seems the only place that is paranoid about that.

The fact that every time something happens here, people come there to talk about it (because they are wary of discussing it here) just reinforces BD's original assumption, which was that criticism would not be tolerated here unless it could be controlled.

Furthering the fairness, the original conversations had mostly to due with the frequency of bannings seemingly without transgression, warning, or explanation.

Just saying.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I continue to fail to understand why this is a big deal. I can talk about this place while I am at any other place. And I can talk about any other place at this place (except that particular place). This place seems the only place that is paranoid about that...
I agree that THIS place, is entirely paranoid about what happens at THAT place. My only point is that THAT place is portrayed as, "Oh, but we've ALWAYS been SO much more, and BEFORE his banning", when originally, it's main purpose was to gripe about THIS place. Again, yes, I know that it's grown past that as a main focus, but it wasn't always that way, and definitely not before his banning. I think it's great that THAT place has grown past that. I think it's great that it's also grown past members there, coming here, stirring up trouble, then running back there, and dancing around like a giddy girl, screaming, "Tee-hee, look what I did at "the Mill", and posting a link to the Mayhem caused here. In my opinion, both THIS place, and THAT place, still have a LOT of growing up to do. That's about as fair as I can get.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I miss CIBA,she is such a fun lady :)
and to be honest,we do not have many real women here!
I so,so,so,so,miss her :(

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I agree that THIS place, is entirely paranoid about what happens at THAT place. My only point is that THAT place is portrayed as, "Oh, but we've ALWAYS been SO much more, and BEFORE his banning", when originally, it's main purpose was to gripe about THIS place.

I agree with that statement. Neither site is perfect- however, I disagree with calling the hydrogen filled airship strictly a protest vehicle. Some members boarded the craft to protest what was happening here-others of us liked many of the people who decided to become members there. Most of the people (though not all) that I respected from here ended up on the maiden voyage. I could no longer keep up with the pace of this board. I had joined around 2001 when it was tiny, I knew all members and there were a few new topics each day. It has exploded since that time. I prefer to read every post and every page before responding and around here that task became nearly impossible with topics reaching 10 or 12 pages in a day.

You are correct- that board may have been in existence before big dirigibles' banning but it was fairly inactive. A quick check makes it look like it was up on a week and a half prior to “the banning” and had very few members until Jul 29- just a few days after the ban and when news of another board became public knowledge.

When I arrived over there it was very much a protest site which made me wonder if it would just fizzle. If it failed (or indeed, if it fails in the future) I knew and know that I will move on in my life. Many of the original members have either stopped posting there and returned or just disappeared altogether. Again though, it was not set up strictly as a protest site. Big D had the foresight to know that if a few good people landed there it would take off and he made numerous “sub forums” in anticipation of conversation eventually wandering from this site to other topics. You do not do that on a “protest site” if it is set up strictly for the purpose of slamming a board.

I know that many posters prefer to maintain a presence on both boards and that is great. For me, once the other site started I knew that my time here would be very limited. The funny thing is that as much as I missed this place and some of the posters I have my doubts that me and my 750 posts in 7 years were missed by many when I disengaged with this place for a couple of years.

I guess the main point that I wanted to address and the misconception that I wanted to correct is that the other board was set up strictly as a protest site. No doubt (as big D) has said many times- it was set up in part so that people could have a place to discuss issues without fear of repercussion. However, the fact that on July 27 tattooed mama Meg was already posting in a forum similar to etc about a television show is pretty much proof that even from the get go some people were using that site for more than just expressing outrage at some policies instituted at LPSG.

D_Adoniah Sheervolume

Account Disabled
Media
OK, I've been away from the site for awhile and, needing a diversion from the bullshit in my life, came here only to discover the Cigarbabe has been banned. Some welcome back...

This site is the owner's to do as he/she pleases, and the owner may set up any rules he/she desires. On one hand I can understand how he/she might want to minimize unrest by not permitting a certain topic to even come up, but it's a slippery slope to go down. And banning someone *permanently* for merely mentioning a "rival" site seems pretty draconian. I like dolf250's signature-line quote from Ben Franklin: "They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I have had the pleasure of meeting Cigarbabe in-person and have interacted online with her many times. She has had an extraordinary life (in both its joys and horrors) and I admire that she continues to seek and find happiness in it. I respect that one always knows where one stands with her. Sure, some things she's said have made me wince, but when people openly interact on wide-ranging issues, how can that NOT happen?

The beige-ification of LPSG continues. I am saddened and deeply disappointed by this action.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
...No doubt (as big D) has said many times- it was set up in part so that people could have a place to discuss issues without fear of repercussion...
Really? And just what "issues" would those be, that can't be discussed here? "What celeb it really hung?", "The state of U.S. foreign policy towards Madagascar", etc. The "issues" that couldn't be discussed were all about THIS place.

Fine, let's put this to rest. From his invitation email to me:
EDIT: Adding in email header
"This is a message from big dirigible at LPSG.ORG ( http://www.lpsg.org/ ). The LPSG.ORG owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email." Dated: 7/16/07
/EDIT

"In (sic) also have a forum I just set up at... So far I only have one forum topic open to all. That topic is meant to keep track of some of the mysterious bannings here at LPSG. The idea of a forum is, as usual, that others can contribute. Of course there's not much there yet. I only set it up yesterday, and I'm the only member so far.

bd"

I have agreed all along, that THAT site has grown way past this, but as I've also been pointing out, I was there at the beginning, and in the beginning there was "ONE FORUM" and it WAS formed to discuss things "here at LPSG."

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yes- July 16 perhaps there was only one forum. I was not given an invitation, and as I mentioned I did not join until the 29th when I found it existed; therefore I can not comment on what was there for the two weeks that it existed prior to my knowledge. I only said that when I joined it had all of the sub forums and not only the one meant to discuss the goings on here. I also admitted that it was mostly a protest site and that I was worried it would fade into the background.

However, by setting up all of the subforums big D ensured that it could, if the membership so chose, be more than just a site to discuss LPSG issues. Yes, as you allude to it was used to discuss what would get you banned for discussing here- and no, that does not include “what celeb is hung.” By installing forums for those types of topics Dirigible simply took the limits off of what could be discussed or what was encouraged as discussion and opened it up to the members. If you want to discuss LPSG then hang out in the “mill” section. If you are sick of caring then go talk about your favourite book.

I think that you and I agree on most of the history- and I will concede that likely, for the two weeks prior to his banning, big D only had one forum. I assume (a dangerous thing to be sure) that the idea was that you could discuss LPSG there and come here for the etc section. After he was banned and the membership grew (I can tell you that by the 15th member- me)nI imagine that he decided to set it up as more than just a bitch fest and had forums added. Sometimes it feels like he succeeded, other times it feels like July of 2007.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
You see right through me MB. Weakest of the weak.

Jen has typed to me via regular internet that there were a handful of issues, the majority of them dealing with her personal life that needed to be treated in a healthy sane matter and her preoccupation with this site, which could not co-exist (one would get in the way of the other)..this is as much detail as I'll go into.

She misses being here. I used to stalk her postings, and she often reciprocated. She seemed nice and forbidden and (alas!) too far away.

And she finds CB's banning foolish.

Somehow free speech gets a left hand turn here.