Why Was VinylBoy Banned?

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I know that he's had issues with certain members of this site before, but banning him just seems sad and a little silly. He's one of the highest-quality posters we've ever had here, with over 10,000 posts, most of which were thoughtful and very detailed.

Color me confused :mad::frown1:

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I've only just started posting here, but from what little I've seen, I agree with everything the OP said. I'm very impressed with VinylBoy's intelligent, insightful contributions--to the extent that I felt quite flattered when he expressed his agreement with a couple of my own postings. :smile:

So why the hell *was* he banned?

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
From what I've seen he was brilliant! I couldn't stand the political section for too long but I always read his posts and enjoyed them.

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
he has some good insight, but I've seen threads where he's crossed the line with personal attacks on members in the right wing. Perhaps a time-out is needed...

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'd hardly call him a "conservative basher." Just because he defended himself and his opinions (very well, I might add) does not mean he was a basher of any kind.

perhaps I've seen some comments you haven't then. He's made personal attacks, and that is against the rules and can result in a ban.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i am guessing someone got their feelings hurt, reported him heaps, since he's been warned he got hit with a ban.

hope it ain't a permanent ban :sad:

of course, the Mods have been known to let the super awesome folks come back from those pesky permanent bans :biggrin::cool:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
he has some good insight, but I've seen threads where he's crossed the line with personal attacks on members in the right wing. Perhaps a time-out is needed...

He never threw the first punch, though: never. If any lines were crossed, they were not of his own instigation (unless it was in the form of a PM, which I'd never see), they were reactions.

He did have a propensity for getting trolled, that's true.

Watch the thread "Moderator Actions" for an update, probably tomorrow. Vinyl Boy has been banned before, and, as in previous cases, this ban is probably temporary.

He's had a few temporary bans before, but this one appears to be permanent.

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Just from what I'd seen in the politics forum, he never really started it, but he did cross the line when engaged, and keep things going. I know he'd recently gotten a two week ban from the politics forum, and in the Mod actions thread, it indicated in red "final warning," so chances are, this one is permanent. Shame, seemed like a good guy.

D_Percy_Prettywillie

Account Disabled
Media
No offense, but the Political Forum is just that- a place where ideologies clash and what can seem like common sense to one person can seem like outright lunacy to another. If you sign up on a site like this one and post in a forum like that one, you should be prepared for a fight.

Certain things should still be out of bounds (racial slurs, threats of any kind etc) but so far as I'm aware he never took it that far. If someone got their wittle feelings hurt by being confronted in a vitriolic fashion? Welcome to discussions of 21st century American Politics.

Rather than ban posters who have ten thousand plus posts, who posts in such a fashion that is well thought out, grammatically correct (a bigger problem than you might imagine) and insightful, maybe make a warning on the Political Forum that says "If you're faint of heart and are expecting a Carebare Hug Fest within- post else where."

I'm sorry, but banning him for "crossing the line" and "keeping things going" in an area where discussion and debate is sacrosanct is counter productive.

JSZ

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No offense, but the Political Forum is just that- a place where ideologies clash and what can seem like common sense to one person can seem like outright lunacy to another. If you sign up on a site like this one and post in a forum like that one, you should be prepared for a fight.

Certain things should still be out of bounds (racial slurs, threats of any kind etc) but so far as I'm aware he never took it that far. If someone got their wittle feelings hurt by being confronted in a vitriolic fashion? Welcome to discussions of 21st century American Politics.

Rather than ban posters who have ten thousand plus posts, who posts in such a fashion that is well thought out, grammatically correct (a bigger problem than you might imagine) and insightful, maybe make a warning on the Political Forum that says "If you're faint of heart and are expecting a Carebare Hug Fest within- post else where."

I'm sorry, but banning him for "crossing the line" and "keeping things going" in an area where discussion and debate is sacrosanct is counter productive.

JSZ

Extremely well put, JSZ: you've hit the nail on the head.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Unfortunately, no matter what is said in the 'moderator action' thread, we'll never know who said what, or what happened behind the scenes. A lot of stuff gets sent to the mods by members, and a lot is said between the potential ban-ee (usually) before anything happens. As community members - we just aren't privy to it. It's all just going to be a WAG on our part.....:frown1: