Why Was VinylBoy Banned?

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm probably on his list of enemies, but nonetheless, I enjoyed every contact I had with/against him. I'm not sure why he was banned, but I'd like to call for his return.

I'm probably on *your* list of enemies (or will be eventually), but may I break character long enough to commend you on that thought? :smile:

D

deleted15807

^ If you can't take a bloody nose now and then stay under your bed. It's not safe out here.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Why should a member who had a temp. ban or even a perm.ban, be subjected to harsher rules?

Precisely :35:

It is sad that in this day and age, facts and logic are inflammatory.

Strident and inflammatory are not synonymous. VB was frequently strident and both he and Max were prone to ranting, but I think inflammatory is pushing it.

Media
I am sorry to find out VB has been banned. I never found him difficult or unpleasant. He was one of the great voices of this site and always an intelligent and well written read. Max was a great loss. I hope VB will ask to be readmitted. His voice is needed here.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I don't know the particulars behind VBoy's ban or the events leading up to it. I can say that I've suggested to VBoy (on several occasions) that he wasted far too much time going back and forth with too many, some of whom weren't worthy of the effort, imho.

Indeed his passions for his (our) causes is (was) admirable, and his knowledge of the subject matter and thoroughness in responding, if at times venomous, showed a whole lot more determination and dedication than I was ever ready to invest.

His contributions (in particular, political) to the issues at hand will be sorely missed. Take care, VBoy.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I guess his acid tongue and abrasivness finally caught up with him.

To be honest I've often wondered why it took as long as it did.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
VinylBoy gets a lot of love, but he attacks people regularly and doesn't always make coherent arguments. Trust me, I've argued with him for weeks straight.

Tee&A

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sigh. There are glass houses shattering all over this thread...

The Political forum is full of the type of people who yell "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater, and then stand back and smile as they watch the ensuing carnage. When the damage is done and it is demanded of them why they have done such a deed, those same people inevitably gasp and ask why you would offend them by implying that they actually hurt anyone. After all, they didn't actually touch anyone, did they? Well, VinylBoy was the kind of person who would actually call them out on their BS and say yes, you're the root cause of the fiasco and I can clearly explain to you why you are the cause. Instead of the instigator taking the dressing down on the chin, they revert to "He's picking on me", take no ownership in the matter, and then want to call in the "rules".

Some people in the political forum simply can't take the heat. Period. And VinylBoy brought a lot of heat. He intimidated many because he was always on his toes and would never idly roll over and take anyone's point as the gospel truth without challenging them to produce facts and/or logic. Gasp! How dare he? What gall to not accept what someone says simply because they said it! What the hell is wrong with him?!

I agree with JSZ's views in his other thread: the Political Forum needs revision. Even if VinylBoy is reinstated, to what does he have to look forward if he chooses to come back? Constant watch and "snitching" from people with too much time, too little debate prowess, and an axe to grind? An environment where his "enemies" will be even more inflammatory (since they know what the outcome will be)? Hm...

Either way, a strong wind doth blow over yon Political forum. And it brings along a foul stench, my friends; a foul stench indeed...

D_JuanAFock

Experimental Member
Media
I must have missed most of VB's posts for people to say these things about his posts in the Poli forum. Sure he might be kind of a staple image there for defending your viewpoints, but in the posts that I saw he didnt challenge arguments with logic or facts of his own. He would produce half-truths, no truths, or nothing at all.

I imagine if you read a lot of his posts without rose-tinted goggles because he favors your side, you might see more of the posts that I see. Sure, not all of them are this way... but a lot were. Then again, maybe I am just used to seeing a ludicrously high debate level from past forum experiences, where people were able to form full arguments with full logic and sources from both sides which produced an actual stimulating argument.

Tee&A

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
log·ic [loj-ik]
noun
1. the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.
2. a particular method of reasoning or argumentation: We were unable to follow his logic.
3. the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study.
4. reason or sound judgment, as in utterances or actions: There wasn't much logic in her move.
5. convincing forcefulness; inexorable truth or persuasiveness: the irresistible logic of the facts

Illogical people cannot understand logic; do I really need to say that there is a passal and a plethora of illogical people here in our Political forum, people who repeat ad naseum that which they have been spoon fed--even though they don't quite even comprehend it themselves?

OP: All black people voted for Obama because he is black.
VinylBoy: That's incredibly banal and lowbrow for you to paint an entire race with such a broad brushstroke, not to mention that it's a completely false assessment. But, I'm sure you have some statistics to back up your post if that is indeed true...?
OP: *Posts link to someone's blog* Ha. So there!
VinylBoy: Just as I thought: you're full of shit. You're also hiding your true hood-wearing opinion behind the guise of "truth". Why don't you step away from Fox News and try breathing air that isn't pumped full of rhetoric.
OP: ...

*Note*: the above was not an actual thread, and was posted as an archetype for a typical day in the Pol for.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
VinylBoy Banned?

I'm surprised.
He seemed to have an immunity no matter what he posted.
In my opinion I think the moderators did something that was long overdue.

Maybe it is in his own best interest.
He can turn off his computer and walk out of his house and get involved with something other than LPSG politics forum.

Pierced1953

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
seems like he was blind and deaf. self centered, narrow minded and only our for his own personal interests, not what was even close to being concerned.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interesting that many of those displeased by the ban focus on the principles involved...and that many of those "supporting" the ban focus on the banned member's perceived personality.

D_JuanAFock

Experimental Member
Media
log·ic [loj-ik]
noun
1. the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.
2. a particular method of reasoning or argumentation: We were unable to follow his logic.
3. the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study.
4. reason or sound judgment, as in utterances or actions: There wasn't much logic in her move.
5. convincing forcefulness; inexorable truth or persuasiveness: the irresistible logic of the facts

Illogical people cannot understand logic; do I really need to say that there is a passal and a plethora of illogical people here in our Political forum, people who repeat ad naseum that which they have been spoon fed--even though they don't quite even comprehend it themselves?

OP: All black people voted for Obama because he is black.
VinylBoy: That's incredibly banal and lowbrow for you to paint an entire race with such a broad brushstroke, not to mention that it's a completely false assessment. But, I'm sure you have some statistics to back up your post if that is indeed true...?
OP: *Posts link to someone's blog* Ha. So there!
VinylBoy: Just as I thought: you're full of shit. You're also hiding your true hood-wearing opinion behind the guise of "truth". Why don't you step away from Fox News and try breathing air that isn't pumped full of rhetoric.
OP: ...

*Note*: the above was not an actual thread, and was posted as an archetype for a typical day in the Pol for.
Assuming a logical person is capable of illustrating their logic properly, it should be understood by an "illogical" person. Implying that an illogical person can not understand logic would imply that they also could not do basic mathematics (and I dare say, think at all... though a person such as yourself might argue that they actually cant think at all), as math is pretty much lots of logic. I think the falsity of your post lies in the fact that there is no single person (that I am aware of) that absolutely 100% lacks any form of logical thinking.

Regardless of this, the VB that I know is more along these lines:
VB: I know of a specific loophole in regards to this specific thing
Person: Well, no that loophole does not actually exist because of x, y, z.
VB: You are missing step q that I know about, but wont divulge
Person: I am experienced in this field and you are full of shit
VB: No I am not

And he would never actually say that specific step that the person supposedly doesnt know about (something like this actually did happen in a thread that I saw with him). People are then forced to either believe he knows what he is talking about with no proof, or listen to the person that tears it apart with logic and reasoning. The few arguments that I had with him felt very similar to this, and he would continuously just tell me that I did not understand...
Interesting that many of those displeased by the ban focus on the principles involved...and that many of those "supporting" the ban focus on the banned member's perceived personality.
I support the ban because his "perceived personality" of him being condescending and intellectually dishonest was just irritating to see. I said before that I dont find his posts inflammatory, but I dont think they were good or positive.

AlphaMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
log·ic [loj-ik]
noun

Nearly all of VB's arguments were founded on the illogical use of facts (that's actually what he resorted to most of the time to keep his circumlocutory arguments going) and VB is exactly one of the people that you describe in the part I bolded. He was, apparently, quite good at manipulating people into thinking he was otherwise. :rolleyes:

Last edited: