Why we have Wars

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
jakeatolla said:
"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez

Gosh, it certainly seems that way, doesn't it?!!

I knew almost nothing about the Middle East and Iraq until I was about eleven years old, when the first Gulf War started! I STILL don't know quite that much about that region of the world! In fact, about all I really know and understand about the history of that region, and its problems, is that many of the geographical boundaries of those countries were drawn up without regard for ethnic and religous divisions and tensions. That led to many of the various tensions, hatreds, and wars that have followed in the years since those countries 'gained' their independence or; after revolutions and coups got rid of their former ways of governance.

I also now know the names of many places there, that I'd never even heard of before: Kandahar, Kirkuk, Fallujah, Kabul, Tikrit! I never fully understood why - during the break in direct military action in Iraq - there were the Northern and Southern No-Fly Zones in Iraq. Even now, I only guess that it was to protect the Kurds in the north, and the dissidents in the south of Iraq.

We never seem to really get much information about why things are happening. Rather, we always seem to get information about what's "good" about the war in Iraq and other places! Complete idiocy, in my opinion! We know there are many good things happening in Iraq, but the more important thing (to me) is knowing WHY we are there in the first place!

I see no need for wars unless a country is directly attacked first. I can see the need (sometimes!) for "pre-emptive" strikes to save lives in the future and to avoid bigger threats down the road. However, I don't trust ANY of the current people in charge of deciding when those might be appropriate!

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
We have wars because lovers of one nation tell their lovers that men of another nation have a bigger penis and are better lovers. So, the men go over and try to kill the competition. Hopefully, when they return home, their lover will be so horny they'll just be glad to get it.

bigmec2001

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
All answers so far may count...but why don´t we look a bit more into ourselves, by that I mean the "construction pattern" of mankind.

Imho, the most comprehensive description of "power" over someone else is laid down in a small booklet written in the 15th(?)century by Niccolò Macchiavelli named " Il Principe", where the application of sheer violence to keep down a beaten population was described as a fine and legitimate way of the policy of the winner.

Are some bells ringing?

As no real separation between the "good" and the "bad " guys was made, it was just "the others" that were violated or killed. Let's look around and we'll find more than enough examples of the same behaviour in our days around the globe.

The question was: Why we have wars...

I believe the answer is: because we haven't stopped to think and behave like those great cultures in the 15th century ( see above) in the center of the Italian Renaissance - Florence- whose " Principe" was the family of the De Medicis, to one of whom the book was dedicated... culture up, humanity down...

(.. for what it is worth..9